It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Street View 05: Gun Control and Jared Loughner

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Great video...thank you to the ATS Street View team for putting together what has to be the most touchy subject yet.

Being a UKer, i really can't comment on the gun laws there in the US. I know our laws here are well messed up, and like people on the video said, criminals will get them anyway. They certainly do here.

I was very glad to hear that Loughtner's involvement with conspiracy forums was left well out of it, for in my my eyes, it is irrelevant. Professional business people have lost it with a gun before.

Maybe the only gripe i have is regarding the type of weapons that are available to the US public, but again thats me as a UKer living in a country where all we will have left soon is airguns. When i was a teenager, it was lawfull here to have semi-automatic weapons here, that was until someone went and shot a load of people in Hungerford. No-one bothered about it before that.

Maybe i'm just jealous lol...who knows?

Anyway, thanks again for a great video, very professional looking as always and a nice change from reading the threads.

CX.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Great job (as always) Street Team!
Interesting how so many people just didnt want to talk about the subject. The woman in the black coat sure had a lot to say on it though!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
We've grown accustomed as a global people, let alone Americans, to believe that it is too much freedom that creates the problems of the world. If that were true then long ago, when the world was largely enslaved, we would have achieved world peace.

If taking the arms from people stops crimes and war, how did we fight wars before the guns? How will we fight them after? And if we do fight wars with guns after the bans, who starts the wars?

Seems like the same people who start wars, take rights, and steal from us are the same people that want to take our guns away...Why do we trust these people?

Why restrict government's ability to have guns and other weapons? Because:

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -A. Einstein.

That's why

edit on 18-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

The issue with Guns in America far transcends just "gun control" ..

The vast, and I mean absolute vast majority of gun crimes in the US are done in relation to gangs.. usually over drugs..

It's a culture in the US, and restricting guns to people like me, and I assume the vast majority of ATS'ers... isn't going to solve gun crimes.. And besides.. is it really a bad thing drug dealers and gang members are killing themselves? I say let them.. it's usually contained to their neighborhoods, their people.

The second highest rate of murder in the US is "Crimes of Passion" .. ie.. guy walks in and sees his neighbor and his wife gettin in on in his own bed, guy is upset and shoots them both.

Take away guns...

The both still die after getting stabbed, bludgeoned, axed, etc.. usually when someone is in a disturbed state of mind to kill, they use whatever means they have available, because guns are available it's usually a good pick.. but if they were not, suspects would find other means to murder. They are not going to want to kill, then say "well !@% ..... if only I had a gun" .. never mind the expensive knife set sitting on the kitchen counter..

Then there's the ever present oxymoron .... do criminals obey laws?

Seriously.. do they?
No. Are gangs, drug traffickers and criminals stop their pursuit of weaponry? Only the gullible mind of a Progressive could be fooled into thinking such idiocy.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Wow. Y'all sure picked a hot topic, sure to push some buttons! I predict this thread will get hotter than.... well, hotter than a two dollar pistol!

Originally posted by Terms777

I feel guns should be banned. I don't own one and never will. Why you ask? They are evil. I know by 2020 they will be banned planet wide. Any one found with one will get manny years in international jail. This is my prediction!
edit on 18-1-2011 by Terms777 because: (no reason given)

Really? A hunk of metal is inherently EVIL?

Really?

2020? Worldwide ban? Countries giving up their sovereignty over their own territory just that quick and easy?

"International jail"?

No, I mean REALLY?

I predict that if this prediction comes to pass, the world will have a much smaller population in 2020. You really willing to have that much blood on your hands to confiscate a few chunks of metal?

In the words of Leonidas : Molon Labe!

I can get behind a "gun ban" IF: they first confiscate claw hammers, chain saws, cars, ink pens, crowbars, kitchen knives, and any other potential instrument of death, AND if they disarm the police and military FIRST.

Until that day comes: MOLON LABE!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
There was a message in my inbox about this thread so I thought I would take up the offer and give my point of view on this thread.

I remember the late, great, Bill Cooper speaking about this issue many times saying someday there would be an effort to take away the armaments from the American public which is NOT a good thing!

As far as I see it, if the general public in the U.S.A have their weapons such as guns stripped away, the criminals will still be able to gain access and find a way to possess these weapons while the average person will be helpless when it comes to protecting themselves and their family.

If the disturbed person in question wanted a gun he would have been able to get a gun whether or not they were legal to possess or not.

I personally have never owned a gun and have only shot a bee bee gun when I was younger.

Sincerely,
Jeff
edit on 18-1-2011 by shure because: spelling

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
There's a shooting in progress right now in L.A. California.

How is this even possible with all the bans on this and that? With so many regulations regarding firearms in California(LA has some of their own too) how can things like this continue to happen?

They always add another layer of restriction when the first doesn't work. It's called INCREMENTALISM. The end result is an outright ban on our right to bear arms.

edit on 18-1-2011 by projectvxn because: Spelling

UPDATE Shooter is a student...All these restrictions to stop this from ever happening...And here we are...I guess this is the fault of my AR15 that's sitting in the corner of my bedroom, unfired, for the entirety of this incident. Ban Pistol grips and muzzle breaks and shrouds
"you know, that thing that goes up".

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

he

I believe the right to bear arms is clearly stated in 2nd amendment to which I have the right to own a gun(s). I do however believe many states including arizona make it to easy to buy a gun. You can go into walmart throw the money on the counter and leave with a gun. Every state should have a background done. I also firmly believe as with alcohol there should be a age descrimination on gun ownership, along with a class to bring understanding to owning a gun...And this may sound a little out there, but maybe we need to form a council in each city who can do some type of mind evaluation. What about checking our educational background? find out his or her mental psychy?, maybe this can help weed out the psychos. Have the person wanting a gun get a police status of a sort. This jeremy had various run ins with the law, there is a red flag. If he would had to bring a rap sheet showing his various run-ins he would not get a gun There are many ways to cifer out the evil doers. They cant disarm america, there are to many of us who are legal and saine to own a gun. And they the law could never find our weapons if we feel threatned in regards to someone disarming us. Putting all these suggestions aside, even with a strickter law, until they get a grip on the war against drugs, guns will forever run amuck in america.
edit on 18-1-2011 by prexparte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Shhhhh, you are wrong, because it is against the law, criminals WILL no longer do it. It has been proven to be effective. Did you not hear? Murder has been against the law and it has not happened in centuries.

Sorry, I am having a little FUN.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Don't worry... we have guns to protect us from people like that..

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The people who do this have no clue what they're doing AT ALL!

Clip V. Magazine

Yep, gun control people...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Terms777

An inanimate object can't be evil.
What makes it evil? because it can kill?
By that thinking, knives, spears, rocks and sticks are evil.

World wide ban? Not gona happen.
Maybe more restrictions outside the US.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Whatever the reasons behind the recent shooting by JLL, we must remember that he "wasn't" a gun owner until buying one to carry out his mission.
In my previous job i experienced first hand what it's like to be at the wrong end of a gun on a number of occasions, had i been armed myself the situation could have esculated and reulted in the death of either myself or my assailent, had they not had a gun it would have been a bat or syringe or even just a fist.
In my present location and situation im not allowed to own a gun, nor would i want to! But if i was in the US i would want one for protection because of them being so freely available and easy to get hold of.
Remember, JLL "wasn't" a gun owner and should not have been allowed to buy one, and it will be a long and hard process to enforce a ban, but it will and should eventually happen.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Abductee001

There are over 300 million people in the US. There are roughly 200 million guns in the hands of about 80 million people.

Good luck with that ban.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

My shotgun has a barrel shroud. I broke it the other day against a hard primer. Now it won't fire until I take the receiver and bolt apart and replace that barrel shroud... but maybe it'll be easier, since it's that thing in there that just folds up...

I wouldn't dream of looking for a barrel shroud on a... barrel...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
People should also remember that in America a "gun ban" is impossible. Literally impossible. They might be able to restrict certain types of guns (like fully auto weapons, though if you're any self respecting gun enthusiast you know that's easily navigated) and they may be able to restrict the future sale of high capacity magazines but could never collect existing ones..

Why you ask?

They'd have to come collect them. If you get my meaning.

Impossible.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terms777

I feel guns should be banned. I don't own one and never will. Why you ask? They are evil. I know by 2020 they will be banned planet wide. Any one found with one will get manny years in international jail. This is my prediction!
edit on 18-1-2011 by Terms777 because: (no reason given)

???

If I walk up behind you and smash your skull in with a hammer should I be excused because it was actually the "evil" hammer that did it? Picture the D.A. cross examining the hammer, makes about as much sense as guns "they are evil".

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Abductee001
... it will be a long and hard process to enforce a ban, but it will and should eventually happen.

No, no, no. It will be a long, hard, BLOODY process to ATTEMPT to ENFORCE a ban.

Folks will die, and die in droves. Their blood is on the hands of the banners who couldn't seem to leave free men alone.

On the positive side, there ought to be a lot more prime unoccupied real estate available shortly after that attempt.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Abductee001

Wow, so since JLL shot people with a gun, the gun is responsible?
So when someone goes crazy, and say runs people over with their car, is it the facilitate by ownership of the car? Should we ban cars then?
Again, what about knives? Those should be banned then as well.
If someone wants to hurt another, it does nothing to take away access to an object. The determined will always carry out the decided action.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yeah lets keep restricting guns. In NYC they can refuse you a permit for getting a speeding ticket, having a building violation, or bad credit. As this following snip from the Gotham Gazette points out it has made a real difference.

Bloomberg's push to rid New York City of illegal guns has seen results. The number of guns recovered from crime scenes in the city dropped by 13 percent from last year. The number of people shot to death dropped from 347 in 2007 to 292 in 2008. Overall, murders increased from 2007 to 2008, but only due to an increase in crimes committed with knives.

They found fewer guns at crime scenes, but that is because criminals started using more knives. What happened in England after they confiscated all of the guns? Oh yeah, knife crime sky rocketed and there was actually no decrease in the murder rate.

Imagine that restricting guns doesn't change the culture's propensity for violence.
edit on 18-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join