It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Street View 05: Gun Control and Jared Loughner

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
On the heels of the tragic shootings in Tuscon, the Street View team takes the issue of gun control to the streets of New York City for some interesting responses. Not the least of which is the clear message that gun control and Jared Loughner are very touchy subjects as it was difficult to find people willing to talk.

Standard Definition Version:

(click to open player in new window)

Watch in Full HD

edit on 1/19/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: spelling

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

I feel guns should be banned. I don't own one and never will. Why you ask? They are evil. I know by 2020 they will be banned planet wide. Any one found with one will get manny years in international jail. This is my prediction!
edit on 18-1-2011 by Terms777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Wouldn't a nation with more people have more deaths and homicides?....

Also we cannot stop illegal trade. Not without serious changes.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Terms777

That never works. Not to mention Switzerland won't allow it. And they hold all the secret banks, supposedly. So no.

No guns? Use a sword. No sword? Use a rocks. No rocks? No planet. Sucks, we're all dead.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ra smussen poll suggests 62% of Americans (polled) feel strict gun control would not prevent shootings; I agree.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Those who have a C.C.W., have already been proven
to have a clean,criminal background check.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Guns are not evil,they are a tool.The person holding
the gun is either evil or good!

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Wow, the first girl hit the target, just because drugs are illegal, does it mean that you can get drugs anyway. She nailed that component. Then the one person attempted to use France as an example, WOW!

Then we had a dude talking about getting ammo at Wal Mart, it seems that people do not realize that just because they may not be able to create weapons, they think no one can. Sorry to tell everyone this, gunpowder and guns have been around since 1250 BC approximately. You CANNOT stop people from creating weapons.

THEN, we have another woman that realizes that you cannot stop people. HEY GUYS, you are being destroyed by the women in their absolute honesty and logic.

I actually found it ironic that the WOMEN realized the problem and the men dismissed it. Is it because men do not want equality? Because a firearm creates equality.

A essay to think about-
why the gun is civilization

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

I have one question for people in the big metro areas, what the HELL? I lived for a little while in some of the worst places in the US. Why the hell would you want to restrict people's ability to protect themselves.

Lived in East St Louis, south side of Minneapolis and Fresno CA. Why would you want to make it hard for people that are law abiding citizens?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The last time I purchased a pistol in 2003,it had a big florescent card inside the box that said--WARNING!! This gun can kill you. For a moment I thought maybe it was dusted with anthrax or cyanide. Well needless to say I'm not dead and no one else has been killed by that weapon. It is an inanimate object, it cannot be evil.

I've read somewhere once that there are over 10,000 gun controll laws in the US, and everyone who knew Jared Loughner seems to agree he was not ok, and nothing prevented him from obtaining a weapon to commint an evil act. Where was the failure.

I would also like to point out that the people who ran toward the danger (that's courage) who were CCW permit holders did not whip out their weapons and start shooting like some of the people in this video seem to assume would happen if everyone besides the NYPD has guns.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terms777

I feel guns should be banned. I don't own one and never will. Why you ask? They are evil. I know by 2020 they will be banned planet wide. Any one found with one will get manny years in international jail. This is my prediction!
edit on 18-1-2011 by Terms777 because: (no reason given)

So are you implying owning a gun would make you "evil"?????????

Please explain the moral superiority of a woman found in an alley garbage pile strangled to death by her own pantyhose to one alive but shaken filing out a police report?
I assume you Are not evil: I assure you your gun will not jump out of the safe into your hand and commit a crime.
edit on 18-1-2011 by 46ACE because: quotations added for emphasis...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This is an issue for America to decide. As an Australian we have had guns banned except for a few tightly regulated areas. They are still available on the street if you are in those circles, but quality can be an issue and is not a big part of society. As someone who has worked in security it does feel a lot safer knowing there is a very small chance that you will be confronted with one. As a citizen society also feels safer as it is a lot harder for any lose cannons or people having very bad days to just lose it. We still get idiots, but a knife or crow bar is a less damaging. In terms of national security and having an armed population, the days of boarder conflicts are nearing an end and there are plenty of other tools for that job. The reduction in fatality rates says a lot for what tight gun regulation can do to a county.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Really like Jason (the Intro person, am I right?) and Jessica!

Good work, great production value, brave interviewing...well done. Bravo!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Your opinion is yours
But I would have to disagree. You saying guns are "evil" is like saying someone being gay is evil or money is evil. I believe that there could be better precautions when selling firearms to people. More thorough background check or evaluating the persons job/family/etc etc.

Just last week I had submitted a requests for a license to carry; the process was simple and required two references. (Amongst other minor things) I do not own any guns, but I plan on purchasing some in the near future.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The comment at the end about the apocolpyse made it for me if the nation has no weapons and gets invaded when compromised by solar activity ,then guns being bad ,may or may not save the day at street level but when military officials tell you we need you as theirs an invasion in progress and several states have been nuked are you going to swear allegiance and whoop as to protect your homeland,just a perspective ,think about it.

What will you do....

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Here we go...another multifaceted complicated issue resolved to afew walk by soundbites.Of course the only people who are gonna stop and discuss it on tape have strongly held opinions.and have made up their minds . Like the first poster: "Guns are evil".
riiiiiight...

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I'm from Phoenix and believe our gun laws should be mirrored in every state in the union. If more good people were carrying a firearms crimes and these murderous people could be stopped in their tracks. When a murderous criminal starts killing citizens the police will not be there to stop the killing but a legally armed citizen can. Gun laws will only prevent law abiding citizens from owning and carrying firearms, the won't stop criminals.

In Phoenix I can, without special permit, carry a concealed firearm. I exercise this right every day...a right every American should be allowed.

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

1 - New York has some of the strictest gun control measures in the country, and they still have many shootings, more so than my state(Nevada) where guns are near freely available to law abiding citizens. Right next door in California we have THE most strict gun laws on US soil at the state level and they have done nothing to quell the gang violence and rampant criminal activity that takes place there...It's like, maybe there is more wrong with California than idiots being armed? Ya think? When I go hunting with my near mil-spec AR15 I'm sure not to cross the border into California for fear that some park ranger has been watching my every move(and they do). They love confiscating Nevada residents' weapons and giving them huge fines....It's like crossing the border into a different nation.

2 - Since the expiration of the Assault Weapon's Ban crime has steadily decreased in the US. Even factors like the financial meltdown have NOT effected an increase in criminal activity overall except states and locales that continue to restrict their citizens of the right to bear arms.

3 - Bans on things that would take centuries to disappear from the possession of the population make no sense.

4 - The right to bear arms isn't about taking over government, hunting, target shooting for trophies, or allowing gang bangers and psychos to shoot little girls. It is about deterring government control of our lives and suspension of our rights, for some it is their livelihood and the way in which they feed themselves, some of us do like to target shoot, and one day I may have to defend my home and family or that of my neighbor.

Thank God I have my guns, that I now live in a country that recognizes my natural right to self defense, and it is my hope that they get more freely available. My mother shaped my belief on gun control, by the time the Cuban people had figured out what was in store for them the guns had already gone the way of the dinosaur..Well, at least for the people anyway. Government still had them, and used them.

It is my belief that there are far better ways to deal with what ails the world than to take liberties away. We've tried that. Been doing it for 100 years and the last ten of those years have been a big effing wake up call to me.

There are ALL KINDS OF SCUM waiting in the shadows to rob you of your wealth, your rights, and your dignity to enrich itself. I don't care what you call it, communism, fascism, democrat or republican.

The only thing that matters to me is that our rights be protected. Government has proven that no matter what ideological BS you inject into the fray, straying from it's limited Constitutional power has proven equally disastrous for all who live and work in the US, and all who are at the end of the barrel of her gun over seas.

What we need is GUN CONTROL FOR THE GOVERNMENT! ALWAYS be suspicious of a government that wants to make something illegal for you that is still legal for them.

edit on 18-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Excellent, thanks again for bringing us the Street View, N.Y., seems no one wanted to talk about the shooter Jared Laughner but gun control on the other hand is a very important issue.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I love the United States of America
I love the Constitution and studying it in its original form
I love our president and the bodies of our government (Yes!, I love President Obama, but I also love, President GW Bush)
I believe in being loyal, not blindly.

I believe in legalizing pretty much everything. I believe every community should have on the payroll a guy like Projectvxn, going from school to school, community center to community center, gun club to gun club. He would work with the Boys and Girls Clubs and the PD youth programs.

Yes, we can ban and change things by controlling them or we can change by teaching and educating.

Same model for drugs..legalized and taxed (cause we are broke) monitored and delivered safely. Counselors with education do the same thing as Projectvxn does but on the drug side. Same model.

Next issue, as Projectvxn and the drug counselors make these visits and run their programs they are working in tandem with Social Services to identify potential Loughners. Social Services honorably gets them help, cause we are going to make a helluva a lot of money off those legalized drugs.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join