It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowing insects in Iceland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Snowing insects in Iceland

www.dv.is

On Siglufjörður has been white to look past few days since snow covered the town. The snow is not as alhvítur and fair road users have noticed. And it is sure that the children not put him up. The snow is in fact full of small black insects called mordýr.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This news is very interesting and has been lot a talk about this news in iceland.
People say they saw it coming from the sky and snow was black

Also they talk about strange clouds when this happened

The website shows Siglfirðingur discussion of bugs in the snow, which states among other things, that even the locals believed that these insects rain from heaven, as it appears suddenly like a thunder from heiðskýru air

www.dv.is
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sveinnb

What kind of insect is that?

If this is true, it's kinda spooky. I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes along and copy-pastes some Bible verse here about the Apocalypse which predicts that it will rain insects. We've already had birds and fish dying, right?
Only this time, I won't laugh it off that easily...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
i just sent this thread a link to your thread...and now i am doing the same for you!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

they definately appear to be related. im gonna see if i cant find some pics.

link   
Can someone translate the info in the link pls

link   

Originally posted by Arrius
reply to post by sveinnb

What kind of insect is that?

If this is true, it's kinda spooky. I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes along and copy-pastes some Bible verse here about the Apocalypse which predicts that it will rain insects. We've already had birds and fish dying, right?
Only this time, I won't laugh it off that easily...

This insects are very similar like this
Entomobryidae
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I havent been able to find this anywhere else on the web. Yet. I was also unable to view the link you sent, so I am going by your word at the moment! Will be kkeping my eyes open though. As far as you know, does this occur often in iceland?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
These are Snow Fleas - Achorutes nivicolus, an elongate bodied Springtail of the family Poduridae.
No, they don't fall out of the sky,
They live on the ground.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sveinnb

Thanks, man.
I talked with a friend--who is also not religious--and the first thing she said was, "are they locusts?" because it says something about raining locusts in the Bible. Not to force the Bible into this thread--believe me, I am no fan of any organized religion---but one wonders...

One thing popped into my head....is Iceland experiencing any weird weather pattern lately?
It's quite possible that if it is, then maybe a swarm of these insects simply fell prey to some bad weather, and literally fell down to earth.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sveinnb

They dont have wings.... So did the Queen lay them up in a snow cloud? How did they get up there to fall w/o wings? Yup as soon as whales start floating I know what time it really is?

Never seen snow bugs?[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/068458277e62.jpeg[/atsimg]
They look furry

edit on 1/18/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by nakiannunaki

Never mind. Link fail. :/
edit on 18-1-2011 by Arrius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Have these been identified?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Yep a poster above identified them as snow fleas.

Some say it is a good sign that spring is just around the corner. They are supposed to show up on warmer days.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
those are scary looking bugs, reminds me of the wrath of khan when they put that nasty critter in chekovs ear

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Cool thanks.. Snow fleas interesting, any clue how they get up there to fall?
edit on 1/18/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by indigodonkey

I thought the same thing lol

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

They come from the ground up. They do not fall.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sveinnb

I know that here, before they had all the safety rules, the towns around the smoke stacks would have dark colored snow. The ash would stick to the snow and fall to the ground. Considering there is an active volcano, perhaps it is just dark from filtering the air?

top topics

join