It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is NOT a Religion - Accept this, move on.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Good thread mate. Nicely explains the whole idea of what atheism is/is not . I wonder how long it will be before it becomes flooded with people disagreeing with your OP though?
edit on 18/1/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScepticalBeliever
On one hand, it annoys me a bit to see people of faith try and push it in everyones faces. On the other, it's annoying to see people who describe themselves as atheists, who seemingly believe they have the answers to everything, including the universe. Try sitting on the fence sometime, it's comfy.

I make this point exactly -

Originally posted by The Revenant
Atheists do not know what the cause, nature or purpose of life and the universe is. We do not pretend to know.

Spot on my friend.

The Rev.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Atheists have no symbols

Well, not entirely true. The graphic in my signature is an atheist symbol. There is also the big red "A" as a symbol for atheism. But you are correct in that these are not symbols for atheism as they are for atheist groups

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

Continually, theist ATS members are openly spreading lies and deceit about what Atheism is, and what it is not. Many ATS members are actively trolling any threads or comments which display an openly atheist theme. Understand this: Atheism is NOT a religion.

I'm sorry but... people have a right to their own opinions. You may choose to call them lies or deceit or anything you like but... they are opinions just the same. You have yours, they have theirs, I have mine... we all have them, just like our bodily garbage chutes.

As for atheism? It is a belief system. Some people believe in God, some people believe there is no god. If religion is the action to believe in a deity, then it works to believe in no deity as well.

It's really nothing to become so angry about. No one will think any the less of you if you were not to get mad about it.

Sticks and stone may break my bones but... words are cheap as hell and really don't hurt unless you let them hurt, you know?

Now then, thanks for allowing me to comment on your post. I promise I won't tell anyone that you believe in anything at all... you're secret is safe

edit on 18-1-2011 by redoubt because: Typos

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SamTGonzalez
Atheism is pretty much the same thing as being agnostic, innit?

No.
Atheism is concerned with what one believes.
Agnosticism is concerned with what one knows.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
good.

stay in ignorance,

when more than 1 people agree on something,

sorry but it is a religion.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

But in real world application, I can tell you this much. Atheists tend to be every bit as zealous in their lack of belief as believers are in their chosen beliefs. Both sides tend to get so heated that, with the volume down, so to speak, one wouldn't be able to differentiate which participant was the believer and which the nonbeliever.

wow, I could not agree more on this point. Atheists have become the new jehovah witnesses. Don't ever disagree with the assumptions made by an Atheist or you are going to be in for a long one sided discussion. I don't lump all atheists into the same basket, just like I don't lump all Christians together, but from my experience the most vocal Atheists have dishonest agendas. These types of Atheists say they want facts and truth, but the reality is that they use Atheists as a disguise and seek to support a personal ideology thru propaganda, misinformation and lies. Ironically, the very things they claim to hate about Christians.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
As for atheism? It is a belief system. Some people believe in God, some people believe there is no god. ]

This should read: 'some people believe in god, some people DON'T believe in god".

There is actually a huge difference between not believing in god and believing there is no god.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

sorry but it is a religion.

Nope.

"Not X" does not equal "X"

link   
S&F from me, thank you for posting this thread. I agree 1000%.

link   

As for atheism? It is a belief system. Some people believe in God, some people believe there is no god. If religion is the action to believe in a deity, then it works to believe in no deity as well.

Erm... no?

It sounds like you've missed the point of the OP. Anyone that 'believes' anything about theism cannot be an Atheist. Theism does not compute to an atheist. If you believe there is no God - you're an agnostic. If you KNOW there is no God, you're an atheist.

The Revenant.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

As for atheism? It is a belief system. Some people believe in God, some people believe there is no god. ]

This should read: 'some people believe in god, some people DON'T believe in god".

There is actually a huge difference between not believing in god and believing there is no god.

Picking fly poop from the pepper shaker I see....

Hey, call it whatever you want to. I could give a flying rat's patootie. I was just trying to explain how people had a right to their own opinions here.

Remind me not to disagree with you anywhere else on the web lol.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

If you believe there is no God - you're an agnostic. If you KNOW there is no God, you're an atheist.

A smart atheist would never say they "know" there is no God..

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

religion is a faith based belief.

non belief in god is just as valid as belief in god.

think about it.

edit on 18-1-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Picking fly poop from the pepper shaker I see....

Perhaps so.
Though if you didn't poop in the thread nobody would have to pick it up and point it out.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

If you believe there is no God - you're an agnostic. If you KNOW there is no God, you're an atheist.

Sorry but that's not correct.
If you believe there is no god, you're an atheist. If you know there is no god you are a gnostic atheist, or as it's sometimes called, a strong atheist.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

religion is a faith based belief.

non belief in god is just as valid as belief in god.

think about it.

Maybe so, but disbelief is not a religion.
---

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

belief is, by definition, religion.

there is only religion.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing..

Personally, whenever I've been asked to fill in the religion part of a form I put N/A because I have no religion and agree that atheism is more a movement and social grouping than a religion for the very facts that you stated in the OP.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

belief is, by definition, religion.

No it isn't, and disbelief is not belief.
Believing that the sun will rise tomorrow morning is not a religion. Nor is NOT believing it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join