It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is NOT a Religion - Accept this, move on.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
I do not believe this would be good either... why elect a person who doe not believe in "all things that are good" but who questions or doubts actually what good and justice and freedom really are.

Atheism dos not indicate that someone does not believe in "all things that are good". Most of them have better ideas about justice and freedom than theists since they actually are free from the confines of theology.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Which god exactly are you talking about that has these qualities?
there is no need to ask this question really since you have it quoted by me in your next quote above, "all things that are good"

And does this imply that human morality is sourced to this god?
to me this only implies that we need to establish what is "truth" and "true" even using science if possible and the other tools available to us such as philosophy and observation.
edit on 1/21/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
there is no need to ask this question really since you have it quoted by me in your next quote above, "all things that are good"

Things that are good are subjective interpretations of actions. You said "god is perfect, just and loving". Such qualities cannot be attributed to the concept of "all things that are good". So which god has these qualities?

to me this only implies that we need to establish what is "truth" and "true" even using science if possible and the other tools available to us such as philosophy and observation.

I agree that discerning truth is important. However, I asked you if your statement implied that morals could be sourced to the god you referenced.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
words have meaning and meaning has implications.

Exactly.
Which is why I pointed out that you failed to distinguish belief from disbelief.

Disbelief
: the act of disbelieving : mental rejection of something as untrue

be·lief

–noun
something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

Your have shown nothing with the addition of "dis".

A mental rejection still requires faith.

Unless you know everything in the universe, which would make you a God, it is possible that God exists in the areas of your unknown knowledge.

Therefore it takes faith to believe that God does not exist.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
Your have shown nothing with the addition of "dis".

A mental rejection still requires faith.

No it doesn't. It often involves reason. It takes no faith for me to not believe in bigfoot, for example.

Unless you know everything in the universe, which would make you a God, it is possible that God exists in the areas of your unknown knowledge.

I don't have to know everything in the universe to not believe unsupported claims. Sure, gods could exist. So far such existence is not apparent nor has it been proven by anyone ever. I do not have to know everything in the universe to recognize this.

Therefore it takes faith to believe that God does not exist.

I've already been over this, but let's review. Disbelief is not belief, nor is it faith.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join