Strange Emergency Message On TV Last Night

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the response, phreak.

You could be right. Either another terrorist attack is comming, or they are thinking either Mt St Helens or Mt Rainier are getting ready to blow
. If anything does happen, well, at least Ill be on semi alert!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I've got a disturbing fact...

It is ILLEGAL to broadcast that message without using the term "this is a test"... unless....

Its about to be used for real.

This is very very bad Skadi. In the event of an emergency i trust you have plans?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I don't mean to freak anyone out, but I have this strange suspicion about the date 7/13. The date itself has symbolism as to the numbers 7, and 13 themselves, the fact that they add up to 11, and that its on a tuesday like 9/11. Plus, there have been supposed terrorist threats. Could be something to plan for that date? But anyway, I hope I am very wrong like always.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature

It is highly likely that your "local Civil Authority" had scheduled a test of the EBS, and their ability to insert their message into the cable broadcast.

Unfortunatley they were to lax to provide the message part of it containg the inforamtion that it was a test.

It maybe that they are expecting to have to use the system in the near future. Say for example you live near the gulf coast or eastern seaboard. It is huricanne season, and they maybe planning on providing information that way.

I would relax, but not completely.

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed your from Seattle. Maybe they expect Mt. St. Helens to blow her top again.

[edit on 7/10/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

Okay, but honestly, testing it repeatedly without getting it right? I think one must be wary that it was automatically generated by some real event. Also, if they were "expecting something" and getting ready for it, well not fer nuttin - but under the circumstances in this country, seems they should have at least gotten this one down by now.

Still too fishy for me.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It's now known as the EAS (Emergency Alert System) and is maintained by those old partyboys at FEMA.

Can you be specific about the test?

If it was ESPN then that means ABC had to authorise the test. The test comes in a 30 sec slot that must be inserted randomly after or into a broadcast once every month. It is mandatory that it is fully described as a test.

Now, if you had NBC, CBS and ABC authorising tests... be scared.

The networks and big stations ARE FULLY PREPARED to sit on a story like this until it happens because they will have been offered prime satellite truck slots. And they don't want to cause a public panic.

I have the UK's media response plan to before and after a terrorist attack sitting on my desk.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Youre right about that, Nerdling, it is illegal to broadcast emergency messages.

I have been wondering if they are preparing for something. I am very concerned. Guess ill have to wait and see for the next few days or weeks, see if something happens.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Its getting more worrying by the minute.

I just posted an Alert, Drudge has reported that kerry is making his way back to Boston to recieve an emergency NSA briefing.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
If I understood skadi correctly, the message appeared as a crawl on the screen, as a opposed to a complete full screen test. If that is the case, that is just the kind of thing that your friendly neighborhood "Civil Authority" has access to through local broadcast systems.

An event like this is either sloppy testing of the local system abilities, careless fooling with the button, or a failed system.

We had just such an occurance here last night, all be it a successful use of the EBS. We had severe thunderstorms in our county, and the NWS was able to insert the weather advisory into our system with zero interaction on our part.

Then we lost power to our headend and the cable went out. So people only saw it 3/4 of the way through. When the power was restored, and cable was backup, the message was still running, until the advisory was expired.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I'd just like to interject.

When you're using the EAS... you do NOT fool with the buttons.

This type of warning needs written authorisation and will be carried out by a senior station official, it will be logged and recorded.

Your best bet is to call the station and ask to speak to a scheduler. They'll be able to tell you if it was a planned test, if it wasnt then they'll be able to refer you to a person who will have the log.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
@ nerdling

Just read Drudge, twice in one week, maybe a bit spooky. Also if Daschle is discounting it as election related, makes it sound rather serious. I would think that if he could discount it as stealing Kerry's thunder, he certainly would.

Course this is a sidebar that probably doesn't belong here.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I am checking out your thread now, Nerdling.

Nothing wierd occured here in Seattle. After seeing the message, and then my roomate told me he had seen it earlier crawling across the screen on ESPN, with the annoying little chirpping beeps, I went outside because I saw nothing in the news, was waiting, see If I saw or heard anything. A couple sirens from cop cars, but thats very normal on a friday night here.

When i came back in he told me it happened again.

I was thinking, a civil authority has just issued....what?

They left something out, whether or not a test or something. Thats what got me. The do tests periodically, and everytime they did it, it would say, this is a test of the emergency broadcast sustem, or, a civil authority has issued a test.

This time, though, it was the same all the friggin time, the civil authority ahs issued.

Issued what indeed? Why three times (that we were aware of, i went to bed after scouring the news for possible reasons behind it.).

I didnt see anything odd occuring, didnt find anything in the news, and wondered if it was a glitch?

Now, looking at Nerdlings post, this is getting more confusing and disturbing.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I was in WV once when this message about civil authority came across..Worried me and my in-laws for a few minutes..Then they came on and reported a COde AManda or something like that. A child had been abducted and they listed the make/model of the car, what direction it was going and who was included in the message area.
But there were like 3 of those messages blank before they finally came on a crackly radio sounding transmission with the info.

Hope that helps a little

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
According to what I saw on google with "Civil Authority Has Issued" that same kind of thing has happened a few times during the last few years... So this should not be naively thrown away as an isolated case.

It is either one of these two things:

- Bugs in the EAS system that makes it getting activated in some areas of the US by mistake, which would explain why it does not show any info about what the actual emergency statement is about. That possibility is probably the most realistic.

- The US FEMA as been using the EAS system for some longitudinal studies among the population in order to determine and predict reactions of the public in case of declaration of national emergency (Red Alert).

Both are the best explanations as far as I know... Even if that would be only the result of a "bug", that thing show us how chilling is the "passive" power that FEMA has over the medias, in its extents and potential. Am I right?

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
FEMA being able to "suspend" the constitution and instate martial law is power enough. I think we'll be seeing FEMA a lot, quite soon.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Hey Skadi,

You said that you were watching a show about submarine warfare when this happened, right? Well... and I don't mean to insult you... my gut feeling is that this 'alert' was part of the show itself. Think about it: Submarine warfare in the last half of the 20th century was dominated by the deployment of boats carrying nuclear missiles. If a director/producer wanted to emphasize the raw danger of this period he could do so by putting on a fake emergency warning alert during the show... in this way, people watching the show now might be able to 'feel' the terror experienced by past Americans.

That's just my guess... again, not to be critical, but my gut feeling is that this was a part of the show... a historical demonstration, if you will. Yes, i know that your roomate saw it to... but half asleep roomates will say anything...

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
onlyinmydreams,

Very good observation, but the alert was on other stations as well - at the same time. And those alerts are not controlled by the actual channel.

[Edited on 7-11-2004 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It is a test to see how many people actually respond to the message. It is a diagnostic military system....hehe j/k

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
onlyinmydreams, as EmbryonicEssence mentioned, it was not solely linked to the show. Furthermore, I am familiar with the show Skadi is talking about - Blind Man's Bluff, an excellent look at cold war espionage (based upon an equally excellent book of the same title), and can affirm that there is no such message.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I live in eastern WA and got the same message last night (also while watching the History Channel!) It was a full screen EBS/whatever from 12:38 AM to 1:38 AM on all the cable channels. It only lasted for about two minutes on all channels, but said to turn to channel five. Channel five is the Comcast advertisement and city channel that nobody watches. Anyway, it was for a kidnapping, four children were kidnapped supposedly by their father, who was driving a blue Honda Civic. It was a lowrider-type vehicle according to the officer reading the prompt, and the suspect was considered armed and dangerous.

I bet what you saw was for the same thing being rebroadcast at a later time, because the kidnapping occurred somewhere in central Washington, and I live about twenty minutes from Idaho and still got it. I don't know if it stayed on until 1:38 though, I didn't bother to check.

[edit on 7/11/04 by para]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Perhaps it had to do with this new command center that just came online?

www.dhs.gov...
New Homeland Security Operations Center Serves as Primary Hub for Information Sharing and Domestic Incident Management
Thursday, Jul 8, 2004
Today, the Department of Homeland Security stood up a new state-of-the-art Homeland Security Operations Center (HSOC) to serve as the primary, national-level nerve center for real-time threat monitoring, domestic incident management, and vertical and horizontal information sharing efforts. Operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, the HSOC provides situational awareness and monitoring of the homeland, coordinates incidents and response activities, and issues advisories and bulletins to homeland security partners as well as specific protective and counter measure guidance.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join