It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian therapist who claims she can help gay men go straight faces being struck off

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
And straight on the heels of my previous thread -

Christians are becoming social pariahs in Britain, claims BBC presenter Jeremy Vine www.abovetopsecret.com...

A psychotherapist who agreed to ‘convert’ a gay man who said he wanted to change his sexuality could be struck off this week. Lesley Pilkington, 60, will appear before a professional conduct panel and faces losing her accreditation with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. She agreed to help Patrick Strudwick become heterosexual without realising he was an undercover journalist and gay rights campaigner who had a tape recorder strapped to his stomach.

www.dai... lymail.co.uk/news/article-1347634/Christian-therapist-Lesley-Pilkington-claims-make-gay-men-straight-faces-sack.html

Things are really warming up for christian juju in the UK and the discussion is becoming ever more complicate, what goes around certainly seems to becoming around for the xtians. After centuries of bigotry the tide surely seems to be turning and with some vengeance .

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Personally, I read this story and think "entrapment", but I think that's pretty obvious at this point. And maybe not entirely unjustified.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
And straight on the heels of my previous thread -

Christians are becoming social pariahs in Britain, claims BBC presenter Jeremy Vine www.abovetopsecret.com...

A psychotherapist who agreed to ‘convert’ a gay man who said he wanted to change his sexuality could be struck off this week. Lesley Pilkington, 60, will appear before a professional conduct panel and faces losing her accreditation with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. She agreed to help Patrick Strudwick become heterosexual without realising he was an undercover journalist and gay rights campaigner who had a tape recorder strapped to his stomach.

www.dai... lymail.co.uk/news/article-1347634/Christian-therapist-Lesley-Pilkington-claims-make-gay-men-straight-faces-sack.html

Things are really warming up for christian juju in the UK and the discussion is becoming ever more complicate, what goes around certainly seems to becoming around for the xtians. After centuries of bigotry the tide surely seems to be turning and with some vengeance .

No comment except - to use an Americanism favoured (sadly) by the Right...
"Got issues much?"
Vicky

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The link is broken.

How ever, if some one is requesting therapy to change their sexual preference, and it is not forced upon them, but instead their true desire, whats the problem? Same thing goes for someone who is straight who would rather be gay. I can totally see why someone who is straight, but sick and tired of failed relationships with the opposite sex, and thought that mentally and emotionally they would be more compatible with the same sex, yet don't find their own sex attractive, could seek help to change that.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Explanation: S&F!

Fixed the Link!

Christian therapist who claims she can help gay men go straight faces being struck off
(by By Daily Mail Reporter Last updated at 1:47 AM on 17th January 2011) [dailymail.co.uk]

And the bit I found in the article that is of extreme importance [i.e. its a linchpin. Note: Edited quote to bold for emphasis ok] was ...

She saw Mr Strudwick at her practice in Chorleywood, Hertfordshire. She said: ‘He told me he was looking for a treatment for being gay. He said he was depressed and unhappy and would I give him some therapy. I told him I only work using a Christian ­biblical framework and he said that was exactly what he wanted.’

He complained to the BACP and it launched disciplinary proceedings against her, accusing her of ‘praying to God to heal him [Mr Strudwick] of his homosexuality’ and having an ‘agenda that homosexuality is wrong’.

Uhm its clear to me that he sought out her services and then also agreed to a Christian ­biblical framework and he really had no intention of being 'healed' and also there is some issue of whether he is actually gay and could of even been possible 'cured' by her. It is CLEARLY ENTRAPMENT!

So he say "Im gay. Please help me!" and She says ok this is how I work [Christian ­biblical framework] and then he gets upset when she prays.

He clearly has an anti "Christians who faithfully abhore homosexuality for personal and religious reasons" AGENDA!

Here is why that is so ...

But Mr Strudwick, who runs ­campaign group the Stop Conversion Therapy Taskforce, said: ‘Every major mental health organisation in Britain and America is opposed to attempts to change someone’s sexuality... because there is good evidence not only that it doesn’t work but that it is harmful.

And yet he sought her out and misrepresented his REAL intentions! EPIC FAIL!

Becuase here is why he was so wrong to do that....

'I am not in this because I am judging people,’ she said. ‘I am in it because I understand what the issues are.

1] He sought her out for her services.
2] She openly disclosed the methods she used before he agreed to 'treatment'
3] He misrepresented his actual reasons for being there.

Perosnal Disclosure: OL has previoulsy been 'Gay' in the purest sense of that term and so I know what I'm talking about OK! And I'm ex-christian [ex-JW] and I see that she has done nothing wrong to DELIBERATELY HARM HIM!
I totally disagree with her POV theological etc... but I will not make her my enemy as this undercover journalist did by clearly TARGETING HER! I'd like to think that I may have sought out her services and those services might of actually worked. Ths was clearly not the case as this Conversion Therapy was NOT being forced and shoved into peoples face and down their throats etc. If that was the case them he might of had a leg to stand on in my court of law [Law of the Jungle ok] !!!

edit on 18-1-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited failed link title soz...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

No comment except - to use an Americanism favoured (sadly) by the Right... "Got issues much?" Vicky

Well you'd have to be a horse not to figure out I got issues, I also got hemorrhoids needless to say if your jesu/yahwhe god is real I got them from him.

Care to expand on your side of the debate or are you just trolling in the hope to find an idiot or child to groom with a bible behind your back?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

so you quote his whole post and add nothing.... thats stupid
If you are mentally handicapped, which from the look of your posts seems quite possible, im sorry if ive offended you.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I think you are missng the point. The lady is a trained Psycotherapist and is accredited as such under the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. This is a professional body who have strict guides as to what can be used.

You wouldn't expect to allow a psycotherapist to use witchcraft on a patient now would you?

Having faith is fine, she shouldn't be using her faith as a way to treat people under the guise of psycotherapy.

The journalist obviously knew what she was doing and rightly so exposed her.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos
[mor

quote]
Uhm its clear to me that he sought out her services and then also agreed to a Christian ­biblical framework

Which is that homosexuality is an abomination that should be punished by being stoned to death (This is exactly what it says in the christian instruction manual given to my child)

and he really had no intention of being 'healed'

It would be interesting to see that properly argued in the courtroom because it raise a whole number of questions in itself the obvious being where's the evidence that gay can be healed and of course is gay a sickness to begin with ?

If it is a sickness what is the cause a gene or genie ? (couldn't help myself
)

and also there is some issue of whether he is actually gay and could of even been possible 'cured' by her. It is CLEARLY ENTRAPMENT!

Again raisin more questions eg if you think your gay are you gay or is it the anal sex, If I choose to do some pillow munching tomorrow does that make me gay and should it concern me enough to seek medical help.

I'm not goading you here I truly find this story fascinating from both sides it's a bit like 2 wrongs trying to make right that was wrong but alleged to be right but the first wron was wrong first

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

You wouldn't expect to allow a psycotherapist to use witchcraft on a patient now would you?

For those who don't know this is how christians cure homosexuals , it involves rolling the gay around the floor draping majik blankets (Mormon underwear ?) over the sick gay and orally abusing the demon that has decide to squat somewhere )up the arse ?) of this nice young man.

Now considering (if real) was likely as not gay then would this mean he also had a gay demon up his butt and is depicted wearing a blanket similar to those in the video ? The witchdoctors are calling jesus a lot so perhaps that's what is going through their obviously turnip like minds.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The people in that video clearly show how backward religion can make people. Now I'm sure there's a good conspiracy theory in that somewhere.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Vicky32

so you quote his whole post and add nothing.... thats stupid
If you are mentally handicapped, which from the look of your posts seems quite possible, im sorry if ive offended you.

I had given into temptation, despite that I know that arguing with that guy just opens up a world of hurt. And guess what, it did! You came along displaying the usual charm that makes atheists so beloved.
Is there a mechanism on this site to report personal abuse? Or should I just feel sorry for your spiteful nature and give you a pass.
After all, on another thread I have discovered that Christian women are expected to let bully boys have their way. An American 'lady' even came along to 'defend' me by attacking me for not grovelling hard enough! With friends like her I truly don't need enemies - with men like you, I have more than enough enemies.
Vicky

edit on 18/1/11 by Vicky32 because: To add something...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

An American 'lady' even came along to 'defend' me by attacking me for not grovelling hard enough! With friends like her I truly don't need enemies - with men like you, I have more than enough enemies.

And with men like the writers of the bibles you'd be in the kitchen where you bloody belong not getting involved with men things know your limits Woman =

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
So this guy walks into and signs up for a service only to start a problem about it? When this therapist starts going around to gay bars to convert men then people can complain. Only an atheist would willingly walk into something like this and then complain about the "evil christians".
edit on 18-1-2011 by Kayzar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This is most certainly a small conspiracy against Christianity.

I am studying to become a Licensed Counselor in the United States, and I am a Christian, so this story really upsets me.

This is the homosexual agenda at its worst. A psychologist sells "change"; they work with people who want to change in one way or another. In Psychology, if a patient deems a particular behavior or emotion harmful, then it is their right to pursue change with a counselor. (Within reason, of course.)

If a homosexual wakes up one day and says that they wish to become heterosexual, and that they wish to undergo counseling with a known Christian counselor, under the direct and explicit agreement that Christian principles will be guiding the process, then that is their choice and right as a human. I do not think that you should hold a counselor responsible for giving a patient the change that they are asking for.

Homosexuals don't have squat for evidence as far as understanding how homosexuality works, or what makes a person gay or straight. We don't understand homosexuality. So, how can these psychological organizations make strict regulations regarding it?

Homosexuality - Twin Studies

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It sounds like entrapment to me. The reporter had no business pulling this in the first place. But on the other hand, I'd personally like to see what her 'success rate' is.. not just immediate, but long term.. how many of her patients are 'straight' after a year? 2 yrs? etc etc..

I consider myself Christian, but I refuse to set foot in the hypocritical churches we have now. I've been told I'm gonna go to hell for everything from having a child out of wedlock to dying my hair!
Lucky for me, it's not their call if I go to heaven or hell.

Matthew 7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (verse 1-2 quoted, read the rest of the chapter on your own) Those are not the words of Ezekiel, or Moses, or Peter or Paul/Saul.. those are the words of Yeshua himself. (Jesus is a mistranslation of Yeshua) I see the way other 'Sunday-goin-to-meetin' Christians pretend to be all high and mighty and soooo far above everyone else... when in reality they have the same shortcomings as everyone else. Too many of them have spent their lives standing in judgement over folks for different reasons.. Won't they be so shocked when they realize they are going to be held accountable to the same standards that they've held others to their whole lives!! (IMHO, alot of preachers are going to be VERY suprized!!!
)

People talk about how being gay is 'wrong', an 'abomination' etc... maybe so, it is in Leviticus. But it also says not to plant 2 different crops next to each other... someone needs to tell the farmers to get those soybeans away from the corn!! My granddaughter is very beautiful... and she's gonna be smart like me... according to the bible, her father could sell her into slavery when she comes of age. I wonder what he should charge for her?

(note there is no intent on doing such, it's only an example of what Leviticus says)

10 commandments.... OMG!! If people obeyed the 10th commandment 'Do not covet' the USA economy would collaspe faster then it already is
That's not even going into the other 9

It's another case of people are picking and choosing a few passages of the bible that suit their needs and forming doctorine around it. The parts of the bible they don't like, they just skim over. That's not what was intended. If you accept one part, you must accept the rest of it.

And for the record, I personally don't care WHO someone shares their bed with. It does not determine who they are as a person. If that was the case, I know a lot of straight folks who would be caught up in a terminal case of 'coyote ugly'

edit on 1/18/2011 by MommaT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Kinda ridiculous, when going or therapy to change his sexuality, which was causing him stress and depression. She offers to help, now she is the one facing being struck off. Where is the Justice in that?

To me it is a case on entrapment. It also seems to be that Christianity is being attacked left, right and centre in the UK for some reason. And it needs to stop.

If she can prove that this individual, came to her for help with regards to his sexuality, the she has a win win case. She should not be struck off for offering to help this individual. Seems to me he went there for sinister reasons.

Another individual who gives homosexuality a bad name. As if there is not enough inflamment towards the homosexual community, this will just add fuel to the fire. Which is rather bad in my opinion. Anyone going for help now will be refused it, incase of entrapement or leading to that individual facing disciplinary action.
edit on 20-1-2011 by Laurauk because: Fixing content

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

What is ridiculous is that this woman has made an agreement with an invisible man in the sky and nn doubt would have to be treated for delusion if she informed her own doctor.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine, Weither you think he is imaginary, or weither she thinks he is real. It is not in dispute. What is in dispute, is this indivdual man who seeked help from this woman, then turns on her after she offers him help. Something stinks about this case. Clear entrapment in my opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join