It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul – Gun Control Makes Us Far Less Safe!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Ron Paul speaks out today against the gov and media shill's knee-jerk reactions to institute more gun-grabbing and control over free speech in light of the Arizona melee.

He points out that when guns start being outlawed, only outlaws then carry the guns, and that citizens are made no less safer by such impositions.

The terrible violence in Arizona last weekend prompted much national discussion on many issues. All Americans are united in their sympathies for the victims and their families. All wonder what could motivate such a horrible act. However, some have attempted to use this tragedy to discredit philosophical adversaries or score political points. This sort of opportunism is simply despicable.

We are fortunate to live in a society where violence is universally denounced. Not one public official or commentator has attempted to justify this reprehensible act, yet the newspapers, internet, and airwaves are full of people trying to claim it was somehow motivated by someone else’s political rhetoric. Most disturbing are the calls to use government power to censor certain forms of speech, and even outlaw certain types of criticism of public officials. This was the completely apolitical act of a violent and disturbed man. How sad that the attempted murder of the Congresswoman who had just read the First Amendment on the House floor would be used in efforts to chill free speech! Perhaps some would feel safer if the Alien and Sedition Acts were reinstated.

Also troubling are the renewed calls for stricter gun control laws, and for government to “do something” to somehow prevent similar incidents in the future. This always seems to be the knee jerk reaction to any crime committed with a gun. Nonsensical proposals to outlaw guns around federal officials and install bulletproof barriers in the congressional gallery only reinforce the growing perception that politicians view their own lives as far more important than the lives of ordinary citizens. Politicians and a complicit media have conditioned many citizens to view government as our protector, leading to more demands for government action whenever tragedies occur. But this impulse is at odds with the best American traditions of self-reliance and individualism, and it also leads to bad laws and the loss of liberty.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
i hope ronpaul runs for president in 2012 because they sure made sure that palin doesn't have a chance

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Absolutely Ron Paul for 2012! Only hope for this country!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Ron Paul should run in 2012 he would force our current figurehead to actually discuss issues!
seeing how the media now treats him seriously it would be interesting.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Another article appearing in relation to Dr. Paul's statements:

Ron Paul: Gun control push after Tucson massacre is ‘despicable’

Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul assailed as "nonsensical" the recent attempts at stiffening gun control laws in the aftermath of the shooting rampage in Arizona that killed six and left thirteen injured

In an op-ed for The Hill published Monday, Paul sharply denounced the violence in Tucson last Saturday, but said that "some have attempted to use this tragedy to discredit philosophical adversaries or score political points. This sort of opportunism is simply despicable."

Full Story:

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Even a kook gets it right once in awhile!

Not bad for someone not too far from his 100th birthday!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
You guys didnt pay attention during the 08 elections?

Ron Paul had majority of the people behind him.. We learned that it didnt matter who we wanted.. Just like it didnt matter than we didnt want to bail out all Tom, Dick, and Harry. Just like we didnt want Obamacare, Just like we didnt want the stim package..

He will never get in because they treat him like a wackjob and dont take him seriously. But we all know he would have won that election in 08. But none of us did anything to fix that situation.. We all sat there and took it while the majority of people wanted real change..

Dr. Paul, Do you feel that you are electable(snicker, snicker, snicker) This is what we get if we want a real person as president. This is what they asked RP before they stopped letting him on TV..

Yes i would vote for RP in a second, but i know we will never see him in office ever.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Dr. Paul, Do you feel that you are electable(snicker, snicker, snicker) This is what we get if we want a real person as president. This is what they asked RP before they stopped letting him on TV..

This pissed me off when I was watching it live. He obviously stomped the others in the debate. The enhanced crowd applause for that crook Guliani was just the cherry on top of the turd.

And honestly, if you aren't for Ron Paul then you fall under one of 3 categories:

1. You don't know much about who you are supporting, or politics in general.
2. You are ignorant and won't vote for him because he's "just another old white guy" Sweet, bro, Rebel against the system!
3. You do in fact support war, and debt, and shouldn't voice your opinion because you are a loon?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Ron Paul speaks out today against the gov and media shill's knee-jerk reactions to institute more gun-grabbing and control over free speech in light of the Arizona melee.

Not buying it, gun lobby is very strong in america, I believe to the point that both the dems and the repubs won't alter any law regarding guns. It's stronger than even the insurance lobby I suspect.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

This pissed me off when I was watching it live. He obviously stomped the others in the debate. The enhanced crowd applause for that crook Guliani was just the cherry on top of the turd.

And honestly, if you aren't for Ron Paul then you fall under one of 3 categories:

2. You are ignorant and won't vote for him because he's "just another old white guy" Sweet, bro, Rebel against the system!
3. You do in fact support war, and debt, and shouldn't voice your opinion because you are a loon?

AMEN!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I don't know much about politics and I'm not even American, but I've liked this guy ever since I heard him say we should get rid of the CIA because they've been killing other countries' leaders.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
I don't know much about politics and I'm not even American, but I've liked this guy ever since I heard him say we should get rid of the CIA because they've been killing other countries' leaders.

He wants to audit/end the fed as well!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Ron Paul said that!?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I like RP a lot - but I think he is making political hay in this instance which is unusual for him.

lots of opportunism begets more opportunism I suppose

RP's a good fellow, but he can be a dinosaur sometimes

Gotta go water my tree

of liberty

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux

Ron Paul said that!?

Ron Paul said the CIA had taken over the wars and basically staged a coup of the US government.

He's right.

The CIA took control of the wars, specifically the war in Afghanistan, to ensure the flow of opium was turned back on.

The Taliban had shut down all the heroin production in Afghanistan the year before we invaded.

edit on 18-1-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux

Ron Paul said that!?

Yeah here (don't mind the title):

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar

Do not alienate the opposition

Ron Paul would not agree with your approach

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
meh misread, Sorry..
edit on 1/19/2011 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Lol,I hope he does run and win just to see what the CIA and their supporters in congress would do.

top topics

join