It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5% of the population is psychotic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
That is right! 5% of the population is psychotic and you expect that when somebody tells you a story its the truth. Think of all the garbage that is floating around especcially on the internet. These guys feed on each other. Think of milenia ago when similar psychotics invented religion.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Exactly. Just look at the issue of the threat of Iraq. A large percentage of psychotics are currently our leaders.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
And I wonder how many of them are here at ATS?

Better yet, what percentage of ATS members are psychotic.

Oh, for that matter, where are we getting this statistic from and who exactly are they including?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hablivilah
That is right! 5% of the population is psychotic and you expect that when somebody tells you a story its the truth. Think of all the garbage that is floating around especcially on the internet. These guys feed on each other. Think of milenia ago when similar psychotics invented religion.

Do you have a source for this statistic? Or your claim that "psychotics" invented religion?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Having owned a business w/ employees, worked in several close environment jobs, and the military I can say that 1 out of every ten poeple or more I have worked with are certainly dillusional or border line multiple personality types. I guess the most common observation is that everyday people are prone to make things up for the lack of adventure or stimulation in thier lives. But hell that keeps forums like this going well enough

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

i would of estimated a much higher proportion than that actually , prob put a zero after the five and were getting somewhere

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
No source= I use this thread for toilet paper

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by acidhead

i would of estimated a much higher proportion than that actually , prob put a zero after the five and were getting somewhere

YEAH!! maybe not that much but really much more than 5%....maybe 25%

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Are you one of the psychotics.....lol j/k

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
10 # 10 post

Does this mean one of us is psychotic?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Take a Psychological Test someone and tell us the results if you are Psycho or not.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
To be serious not all psychotics are exactly psychotic. They don't see or hear things etc... sometimes it's a mild case associated with some form of anxiety or phobia, or paranoia. Given the above description, the fact that we are here makes us all psychotic.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Like me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

youre not psychotic , youre just missunderstood

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Mental disorders are more prevalent than is commonly realized (Kessler, McGonagle, Zhao, et al., 1994). During any year, 30 percent of the noninstitutionalized civilian population age 15 to 54 have a mental disorder. Over their lifetime, 48 percent of the noninstitutionalized civilian population age 15 to 54 have had at least one disorder, and 27 percent have had two or more disorders. The most common mental disorders among this age group are depression, anxiety, and substance abuse.

This from: www.mentalhealth.samhsa.gov...

Although just because someone has a mental disorder it does not mean they are psychotic, I just thought it was interesting that such a high percentage of our population has a mental disorder of some type.

How common are psychotic disorders in society?

Psychotic disorders are actually quite common worldwide. About one percent (1%) of the population is thought to have some form of psychotic disorder.

This from: www.athealth.com...

Let's see, if the population of the world is 6,379,616,103 (from: www.census.gov...) then 1% is approximately 63 million people (a hell of a lot of people) are suffer some type of psychotic disorder/s.

-Attero

[edit on 10-7-2004 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Yes I would like to know if there is a way to find out, if it's always been this way.. or getting worse. It's just hard to tell therapists used to be taboo.. mental illness was dealt with by the family.. and such a thing was scandalous. Hard to track....

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Let me be deranged and not arranged.

PSYCHOS KICK BUTT!!!

warning: this can cause headaches if head is in *ss.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Ever read "How to lie with statistics"? I don't for one minute believe the figure that 1 in 20 people are psychotic. The definition of "psychotic" has been stretched to the extreme by American psychologists, as has the need for Prozac, zolof etc and especially Ritalin. Want to see dysfunction wait for this generation to grow up.

However, I do believe there is a huge percentage of psychotics in CA, especially in the Mountainview area... .
Its tragic how many are labelled psychotic , OCD, ADD, ADHD, MPD, Borderline, etc etc in order that people can deal with their eccentricities. I know some psychologists have experimented with Labelling a "normal person" and having him institutionalized for a period of time, and the reports that came from the institution with regard to the "patient" mostly fit with the label.

In one case the "schizophrenic patient" made notes of his experience in the institution and the psychiatric staff noted on his record, "he is seen compulsively writing must discuss with doctor".

[edit on 10-7-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Mynaeris pretty much made the point I would have. The supposed explosion of mental disorders probably has as much to do with the fact that there are new "disorders" being invented all the time. Read the DSM-IV for a laugh sometime. If you can't do math you have a "mental disorder". If you can't hit a baseball you have another "mental disorder"

new topics

top topics

join