It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't feed the stray animals, or homeless people!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Republican state.
Democrat city.

Doesn't matter though.
Neither of those parties courts the homeless vote.

There are, just so you know, over 40 state, city and local/charity sponsored homeless shelters in Houston. Some 65-70 more in surrounding areas and dozens of food banks and donated clothing and household goods distribution centers too.

Texas and the city of Houston are not the home of the wicked witch and the flying monkeys.

There is more information to be had. You just need to look for it.

The issue we are dealing with here is due to the NIMBY mentality. "Feed the poor, just not right here."
The most ardent supporters of special interests, social conditioning, legislated government handouts and alternative lifestyles are the same ones who then turn around and get laws and zoning changed so that these things happen somewhere else.

"Oh yeah, let's pull a huge sum of money to build a project or homeless shelter...it's the right thing to do and your tax dollars should pay for it (you greedy taxpayer you) it will be the best that your money can buy and will spare no expense because I (The morally superior special interest and political activist) say so! I'm right. You're wrong. Be sure and get my picture in the paper for making this happen.

Now build that thing as quick as you can......but not in my backyard. Put it over there, yeah, in the middle of that other neighborhood.
edit on 18-1-2011 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The government that makes it illegal to help the less fortunate deserves to be no more.

This is the problem with centralized control people. They do not care about the individual, they care about the collective. If anything hurts the corporations that are the partners of the government, they will shut it down.

Hmmm, how is that working for the homeless and hungry.

TOTAL cognitive dissonance.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Reply to post by Ellen15

Texas is a mixed bag with regards to politics. Generally most of the rural areas are conservative while highly urban areas are liberal.

Austin suburbs and rural areas are liberal, while Dallas/Ft. Worth proper are highly conservative, with the suburbs being mixed, but with a strong lean towards conservative.

El Paso and the Rio Grande Valley are very liberal in urban and rural areas as well.

San Antonio proper is Conservative, with a healthy mix of both views in the suburbs.

Houston proper is liberal, and the surrounding suburbs are a healthy mix of both views.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Nice post! Actually think that this is unconstitutional under the Freedom of Religion clause assured us by the founders. Christ exhorts to charity above all things. Christ says, if a man comes to you who is hungry and you say, "I'll pray for you", you have done nothing for that man. First, feed the man, then pray for him.

So, under these examples which are the tenents of Christian principles (the leading religion in America), disallowing people to exercise their charitable duty (as demanded by the founder of their faith, Jesus Christ) is an oppression of their religious practices, and thereby unconstitutional.

Any lawyers out there want to send this up the flag-pole?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by robinmorningstar

But didn't you know that the supreme court has interpreted that a little differently.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof-" has been re-purposed as an anti religion tool.

The term "Separation of church and state" is now the common usage and serves as a method that attempts to keep religious views and practices out of politics by virtue of being inferior to the non religious beliefs of specific parties and groups.

In the USA any ideal espoused by a religion is negated as a legal precedent........unless, of course, it can be considered a minority group and then it's fair game.

Having said all of that, the same system that won't allow charity unless they mandate it first will take a huge chunk of change out of the taxpayers pocket and give it to welfare, social security, medicare, medicade, other countries, criminals and of course billionaire bankers.

You, a mere citizen, are not qualified to give a hobo a ham sandwich and may face legal prosecution if you do so.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If a person or animal is hungry you feed them!!!!!!!! No excuse! That is just insane that they would need a license. It's all about money and not human lives! That is unacceptable!!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
The government that makes it illegal to help the less fortunate deserves to be no more.

This is the problem with centralized control people. They do not care about the individual, they care about the collective. If anything hurts the corporations that are the partners of the government, they will shut it down.

Hmmm, how is that working for the homeless and hungry.

TOTAL cognitive dissonance.

Arg! You beat me to it! I was going to say that the government doesn't want other people helping folks. It makes them less reliant on government.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
reply to post by robinmorningstar

But didn't you know that the supreme court has interpreted that a little differently.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof-" has been re-purposed as an anti religion tool.

The term "Separation of church and state" is now the common usage and serves as a method that attempts to keep religious views and practices out of politics by virtue of being inferior to the non religious beliefs of specific parties and groups.

In the USA any ideal espoused by a religion is negated as a legal precedent........unless, of course, it can be considered a minority group and then it's fair game.

Having said all of that, the same system that won't allow charity unless they mandate it first will take a huge chunk of change out of the taxpayers pocket and give it to welfare, social security, medicare, medicade, other countries, criminals and of course billionaire bankers.

You, a mere citizen, are not qualified to give a hobo a ham sandwich and may face legal prosecution if you do so.

Wow. Well said. Nothing to add to that but kudos. Peace...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I have had nigthmares about what happened to the Homeless in New Orleans. This was about a year before Katrina. It was in the news that the State Mental Hospital in Manderville, La, was building a cremetorium. Just about 5 months later all and I mean all of the street people in New Orleans were completely gone. Many people in the Manderville area said they saw buses of people going to the hospital. The news in New Orleans stated that all the homeless people had been taken to Jefferson Parish, but no ones has ever located any kind of shelter or place they would be kept. After that the city passed an ordernance that anyone sleeping on the street would be arrested. Some people had first hand knowledge according to them, but I can't confirm that.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
What ever happened to good old fashioned civil disobedience?

If this were my passion and I was told to stop I would immediately scour for like minded and redouble my efforts with more people. Remember they can stop a person wit little trouble, it is much more difficult to stop a person who is surrounded by like minded people who will go to any lengths for what they believe.

The problem isn't that the government has taken away liberties, this is what governments do, it is their nature, the problem is the people quit demanding that we keep them. You don't demand my complaining, you demand by doing.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
When I lived in San Antonio, TX, one day suddenly a ton of homeless people showed up, I went over and asked what was going on as I lived near to downtown and could not believe my eyes. They told me that someone in Austin shipped them to San Antonio by bus because of some political campaign in Austin did not want to City to reflect the number of homeless. I kid you not!

So if we ever question where some campaign funding goes, it goes to Greyhound! LOL

I am quite certain that San Antonio bused them all to somewhere else before long because suddenly everything was "back to normal", if there is ever such a thing.

This is really sickening!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

What you said made me wonder, what if a lot of townsfolk just showed up for a "picnic" and gave out food to whoever showed up. Sort of like a make shaft soup kitchen, granted I understand this couldn't happen everyday, but as a sort of useful protest.

I suppose the ultimate question is if the townspeople support the law or not, however inhumane that is. Like I said my town has an antihomeless law, but no one follows it, people are always giving stuff away (money, goods, clothes, blankets, etc), well other than the police they tend to enforce it.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

I am waiting for someone to file a lawsuite on this over relegious beliefs, that Christians are taught to feed and help the poor. The government infringing on the rights of a relegion to practise what they are taught. It would probably go to the supreme court. I live in the country or I would do it myself. I just hope they didn't bus those people in Texas, to Manderville LA. No one ever looks for homeless people they can disappear and no one even knows what happened to them.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think this is appropriate

The New Colossus

By Emma Lazarus, 1883

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

How many of our ancestors came here through those words? False advertising is a crime.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

texas is republican, of course. i can see they don't want the average person to get in their head to start spiking the stew with rat poison or something, but maybe the churches or shelters could say something? i've seen too many folks with signs in front of wallyworld asking for change, saying they're hungry. if you give them food, they'll throw it away as soon as you turn your back. those are the ones that need to be shuffled along to get their thoughts in order, so to speak. i'm all for filling an empty belly, giving hope to an empty heart, but i won't give s#!t for an empty head.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Yes, this is the very thing that also prevents restaurants and supermarkets from donating perfectly good food to the homeless...they have to because of insurance abide by so many rules (what the food can be in, what the temperature must be from store to shelter, and so on) and red that it becomes cost prohibitive to donate and they throw it away.

The answer to this is simple though...or could be. Just have the starving people sign a waiver. But then I suppose it would be that they were under duress (starving). Seems we can't win, eh?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

The answer to this is simple though...or could be. Just have the starving people sign a waiver. But then I suppose it would be that they were under duress (starving). Seems we can't win, eh?

The local Cub Scout mothers were planning a bake sale to help fund a field trip for their kids... until someone complained that the foodstuffs were not under proper authoritative inspection and that such products could hurt someone either accidentally, or even on purpose.

Right. A Cubby Mom poisoning someone.

Anyway, the sale was cancelled... but news of the shutdown brought in enough free roaming donations so the kids got their trip anyway.

Still and all, a sad statement of the society we have become.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Wow just great so now you need a license to feed people in public maybe they just aren't pushing the envelope enough. Hell maybe we should make a new law to license everyone who want to cook for themselves or their neighbors.I mean wouldn't want to take a chance and live life.
Could you imagine taking one of these people fishing your not going to eat that are you it's not certified, ya I,m going to eat it, but it's not government certified.

edit on 18-1-2011 by SimpleKnowledge because: none

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by survivalstation

Nothing so convoluted.

See, city councils do this sort of stuff to make their towns look nice, and prosperous. Towns with homeless in the street don't attract investment, and it looks bad to the tourists. The people who pass these ordinances probably couldn't give a damn who lives or dies, because they feel that they're doing the community a favor by keeping the "unsightly clutter" off the streets.

Except that Orlando is dirrty and nasty to begin with, if they think the homeless are bad, have they ever seen the state funded ghettos there overrun with litter and drugs and vandalism? And there homes in disrepair. It's more disgusting then any homeless person I seen...and the worse part is, they use my money to fund those crack houses!!!!

edit on 18-1-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

We have the same regulations at my children's school, everything has to be store bought in a sealed package. Which often makes me laugh because I tend to bring in items from the local bakery, which really isn't too much different than my own oven, but whatever.

The claim I often hear is peanut allergies, but even in 7th grade the kids aren't trusted to know if they have an allergy or not. I was allergic to milk products and I knew from kindergarten that milk, ice cream, chocolate were off limits, but hey maybe a kindergartener in the 80's is equally responsible to a 7th grader in 2011.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join