It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't feed the stray animals, or homeless people!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Theyd have to arrest me then if I lived over there as will always feed both people who need it and animals.. Its called compassion for others .. Truly sad that its become a crime there to show compassion to others...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

Nothing so convoluted.

See, city councils do this sort of stuff to make their towns look nice, and prosperous. Towns with homeless in the street don't attract investment, and it looks bad to the tourists. The people who pass these ordinances probably couldn't give a damn who lives or dies, because they feel that they're doing the community a favor by keeping the "unsightly clutter" off the streets.

And you know what?

The people of these towns elect them. Year. After year. After year. After year.

The people of Houston are probably like the people in Portland, or Orange county, or Boston. If you ask them, they do care about the plight of the homeless in America; they just want it to be someone else's problem. They don't want to see homeless people. They don't want to feed the homeless. They want the homeless to "disappear." it's the epitome of "Not in my backyard."

So the people they elect deliver. And then get re-elected because of that.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Yes, I read about this from a link at Drudge. I suggest to just continue to do it. Let the police attempt to enforce their stupid law. If they charge you, continue on. Go to trial and delay as long as possible. Make the city spend as much money as possible on it.

You would not find a jury to convict. The law is asinine and created to control.

Funny how the government says it does things for the good of the people, but does not allow charity.

Hmmm, what do they call that again? Tyranny, gotcha.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
Yes, I read about this from a link at Drudge. I suggest to just continue to do it. Let the police attempt to enforce their stupid law. If they charge you, continue on. Go to trial and delay as long as possible. Make the city spend as much money as possible on it.

You would not find a jury to convict. The law is asinine and created to control.

Funny how the government says it does things for the good of the people, but does not allow charity.

Hmmm, what do they call that again? Tyranny, gotcha.

I agree, death of a thousand cuts strategy/stop obeying

also instead of just giving these folk a fish:
teach them how to fish
get a few people together and set up one of these

of course with that new fed bill to uproot your home garden so as to force you to eat GMO...

you're gonna have to do it on the sly, don't have the money? not enough like-minded get a few of those "they'll bring down property values creatures to help:

by applying the first of the 36 strategies on them:

Fool the Emperor to Cross the Sea

Fool the Emperor to Cross the Sea
Moving about in the darkness and shadows, occupying isolated places, or hiding behind screens will only attract suspicious attention. To lower an enemy's guard you must act in the open hiding your true intentions under the guise of common every day activities.

trick those who only care about property values to chip in to set up one of the above in an out of the way part of town everybody wins and they get to claim that they are doing their bit, the blabbermouths may even wind up helping with free promotion, when they are actually self-promoting.

also excellent for those on the fence.

when the local authorities get on your case, make a big stink, if you can get them [after bloodying their noses in court of course] to take over/fund/administer/create jobs to run aquaponic farm...

this, in essence, is fooling the emperor in order to cross the sea.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
really stupid laws like the Texas example used by OP are mere opportunities for creativity. hopefully our friends in Texas will begin leaving piles of food six feet away from homeless people. place a blessing on the foods and explain to the friendly police that the food is an 'offering'. do the same will large piles of loose change. you are not feeding the homeless. you are not giving money to those in need.

and how bizarre is it that ANYONE would be against this? we have to stop placing blame on "the government" or "the police" or "corporate" because THEM is US. that's mostly Americans working in those Fortune 500 companies in your USA town. local police - might have been born in the same town where they police. on and on. people got to get right with what they do. people got to start behaving responsibly and standing up for the right things.

-ANY WAY-

most people lay claim to one religious group or another. most religious groups have a chosen text upon which the faithful take instruction and find leadership and wisdom. most religious groups, most holy books teach the importance of sharing, caring, giving, feeding the hungry, sheltering the cold.

so if you practice what you preach you can lay out 'offerings' as part of your religious observance. i think police in Texas would understand a citizen practicing religious freedoms.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by civilchallenger

Don't feed the stray animals, or homeless people!

A terrible situation, I agree. But at least some part of the reason for this is because of... insurance.

In all, the insurance industry has written... or should I say, sponsored and paid for, more laws in the last quarter of a century than any single grassroots movement made up of voting, US citizens. As such, municipalities have drastically scaled back on public events. Outdoor concerts, raft races down rivers, various civic and charity events, etc. have all been eliminated because the cost of insuring the participants has gone through the roof.

In the case of feeding homeless people, the courts have ruled several times that city governments are responsible for the indigent poor. Thus, if someone fed a homeless person a hamburger and that burger was tainted with E. Coli and the person became ill, it would be the city who bore the responsibility... rather than the meat plant or the grocer or even the person who cooked it.

Being a good Samaritan may get you to heaven, but the insurance industry, which all but owns this country now, will not be impressed.

Oh... and do be sure to buckle your seatbelt when you go out to help the homeless. Click it or ticket.

(This message was brought to you by State Prison Farm Insurance)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigO
That is pretty sick. While I HATE all the stray cats around here upwards of 15+ everywhere.

I'm more upset at the people who let the cats breed like rabbits don't take care of them and the poor cats have no where to go. I do break down and feed them every now and then.

No homeless people on my street so I can not relate but I have given if I ever had a few bucks left over change at the guy standing at the light to turn into walmart. Always homeless people at the lights into walmart. Now
I know odds are they are just going to buy booz, but maybe they will get a burger or something.

Either way if I was homeless with nothing I sure as hell would not mind a 40.

Like one poster said it is a control trip. Homeless people make the area *look bad*.

Can't have their area devalued because of all the homeless people walking the streets.

The solution they say KICK EM OUT.

Ok guys this is what pure evil looks like!

Satan would be proud. Helpless people dying on the street from starvation in a rich industrialized nation. Making it illegal just adds a sick charm to it.

What now? Make it illegal to have sex with a bi chick on a tuesday afternoon?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
Christ would piss on these people. [/quote

Yeah, I don't think so.

But then again, Jesus would have taught them to fish as well.

If you make it uncomfortable for people to stay homeless, then they have a much higher percentage of improving themselves.
When things are easy, many will partake.
edit on 18-1-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

First they foreclose on your mortgage forcing you to the streets, then they take away the food people offer you. Next you are a John or Jane Doe with a toe tag ready for cremation.

Look I am sorry but we just cannot have people diverting money from the bankers by failing to pay their mortgage, and then expecting to be fed by other citizens knowing full well that the food might be contaminated and they could then sue. In fact they, the PTB, are considering sidestepping the steps in between and just cremating everyone and done with it.

By the way I wish to make a strong complaint. I clicked on CANCEL to stop the institution of World Government and nothing happened. Could this be a bug in the system?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
First, I agree that this is a stupid law and I would continue to help them.

Unfortunately for me, I am the sucker that tries to help everyone, almost to a fault. We have quite the collection of homeless people that hang out in the grocery store park, they always ask for money, however many of the genuinely homeless will take whatever you give, ie food/beverage/etc.

The problem for me, is that we also have a sober house/rehab center a few doors down from the grocery store, and some of the patients also hang out at the store when the homeless aren't there. You can learn the difference, as I am, just by listening to part of the story. For example, the same lady asked me for gas money three days in one week, I wanted to help the first time and even though I was questioning her I gave her a handful of quarters. The next day she asked me again (yes, I'm the store nearly everyday) I told her I didn't have cash this time. The third time I told her that she's asked me three times this week and not to ask me anymore. She quickly ran away.

Very sadly, we also have a guy that impersonates a veteran. He always asks if I can help an old veteran get back on his feet, he's only about 35. Of course I want to help an old veteran and I'd toss him a few singles, that is until I saw him walking back to rehab. After that, the next time he asked I told him to wait and I bought a prepared sandwich from the store. You know he yelled at me and he didn't want the sandwich, now he's cut off, bc I am now under the impression that he just wants the cash for alcohol, or whatever, but the store sells alcohol so I assume that's why they hang there.

It's heart breaking, because I am a helper/fixer, that's just the way God made me. But like I said sometimes, the help (cash) is not the help the person needs.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
How long until the cattle trucks are dusted off and the homeless are offered a "resettlement opportunity"

"Leave your clothes outside along with any valuables you may posess" "Oh don't worry it's just a shower""

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I heard about this and when did someone need a resturant permit to give out food to the homeless? Just so that the municipality can collect tax revenue on a non existant business?

This is sickening.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Most of here are only a few paychecks away from being homeless.
Most of the homeless are veterans.
This is the gratitude of our nation for their service?
I could SCREAM!!

In fact, I will

Who stole my country?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nake13

We have something like that, technically it is illegal to be homeless in my town and if a cop sees them they are either shooed away or arrested (if they catch you more than once). I'd have to double check but I think they are arrested under a no loitering law, apparently one can loiter on the sidewalk as they are walking because that's how it was brought to my attention. A neighbor went for a walk in some very ratty old clothes (she figured she was gonna get all sweaty so why bother trying to look decent) anyway on her walk a cop stopped her and asked her where she lived, thinking it was odd she questioned his motive in asking her and he brought the law to her attention.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Hanging onto your humanity doesn't make you a sucker.
It makes you human..
And that is truly beautiful

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I do it anyways, I don't care. There is this guy who has been on the streets for about 4 years. We see him everywhere and he is in a wheelchair. He lost one of his legs in war. I've had conversations with him and he really is an amazing person. You know, this wouldn't happen if they made a mandatory site or two for the homeless which includes shelter, food AND services to get a job. The sites they have here is for one night shelter and food. They don't help put them on their feet and there is no way you can get a job without an address or phone. Alot of people would be happy to volunteer and most food can be donated. This would keep homeless off the streets begging and make it cheaper for the government. If they can pay unemployment for 3 years to someone and food stamps to people who refuse to work then I can't see why they couldn't invest in a place that is MUCH more needed and cheaper. Nice thread OP but it sure did get my blood pumpin

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Having been homeless, this cruel trend steams me. It's as if we just decided to go homeless one day. Being laid off, applying to over 35,000 jobs and being hired by none, and having Social Services dick me around to the point I had no choice but to go homeless... I rather hope any who support this heartless behavior find themselves homeless.

Walk a mile, baby, and see how these shoes fit.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
Unfortunately for me, I am the sucker that tries to help everyone, almost to a fault.

It's heart breaking, because I am a helper/fixer, that's just the way God made me. But like I said sometimes, the help (cash) is not the help the person needs.

Don't stop helping. Just because there are some that abuse the generousity does not mean we should assume everyone in that condition is a ripoff artist.

If they are grateful for the sandwich, you know they really need it.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

I am so sorry for your experience, I hope that you are finding yourself in better circumstances.

I know, the truly in need are very happy for whatever you can spare, which is why I still do it. As I said I am learning to figure out who is who, and if it is a new person I tend to assume they are telling me the truth, unless it is a circumstance like the gas lady or I see them entering or leaving rehab. If it is highly questionable, I'll give food after all I'm either going into or leaving the grocery store.

It's true, we are all (or almost all) three paychecks from being on the streets ourselves. I often find myself thinking of what I would do if I found myself in that situation. I have to ask, if it's too personal you don't have to answer. Didn't you have a relative or a friend whose couch you borrow for a bit? I often wonder where all of their family and friends went. Granted sadly I know that when money goes away, so do a lot of friends, but no family that can help?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is quite disturbing. We were once a nation that would feed millions of homeless at a time,(Irish imigration). Good on all of you who would give to those who have less. Protect the weak. The law of karmic return should be studied further by those who have doubts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join