It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kulturkampf (Culture War)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Justice Scalia's colorful dissent in Romer v. Evans mentioned a "Kulturkampf" emerging in America between the elites and the common man ("villeins" or serfs). Interestingly enough, he made mention of the following:

"When the Court takes sides in the culture wars, it tends to be with the knights rather than the villeins-and more specifically with the Templars, reflecting the views and values of the lawyer class from which the Court's Members are drawn"

Can you see the implications of such a statement? What I infer from that statement is that the lawyer or barrister class is predominantly secular and does not represent the interests of the middle and lower class citzens. But could there be even more to this than that... I.e. could Justice Scalia be insinuating that the attorney class represents the Illuminati and secular, anti-religious forces.

And I should note that "villein" was the most common class of serfs during the Middle Ages. So, logically this is a statement of the cultural divide between the elites and the commoners.
edit on 17-1-2011 by Lou Minotti because: Grammatical error

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
No lawyers or history buffs out there...?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Am I to believe that no one else out there finds this language a bit strange and pecular to be published in a Supreme Court opinion by the Highest Court of the Land?

new topics

join