It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Could Be Struck By Winter Superstorm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

California Could Be Struck By Winter Superstorm

news.yahoo. com

A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Between 1990 and 2006, California has had 32 natural catastrophes with damages totaling $19.43 billion

Three earthquakes have accounted for $12.57B in damages.
Wildfires accounted for $4.73B.
Severe storms/flooding accounted for $2.13B.
TOTAL OVERALL DAMAGE: $19.43B

Well, I guess we better start preparing.

news.yahoo. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
How many duplicate threads are there going to be. Try the search buddy

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ADUB77

Can you please link to the duplicate? I did a search and did not see one in Breaking News... Before you jump to conclusions, you should read the rules.. One is allowed in Breaking news and another in a separate category...

I can only find one in breaking news (this one) ... And can't seem to find a duplicate elsewhere. Normally the ones that get mad and display it openly (like you lashed out) are usually the author of the said "duplicate thread."

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SamTGonzalez

Not sure if I'm relieved they have a plan in place to deal with it, or concerned they know it's coming and aren't warning anyone.
If it's just a theory with no current trend to back it up then it's a tremendous waste of taxpayer dollars.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
...they're calling it the ArkStorm scenario... heres the link to official deal....
pubs.usgs.gov...

...are these possible scenarios a waste of money?... well, maybe, but if they didnt have emergency plans from A-Z, everyone would gripe about how they shouldve done / known better... besides, its happened before and things tend to run in cycles...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
For all those who would like to know more about what Arkstorms are all about, check out the following videos

ARkStorm Scenario

ARkStorm Movie

^Just a little too overdone/exaggerated, but it was dramatic nevertheless.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added video

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This has just come up on Yahoo and I kinda get the impression that's its not a case of If but more when as they are tracking a weather pattern that's developing.

National Weather Service images show an atmospheric river system - a huge hose-like flow of Pacific Ocean moisture - moving onto the state increasing the risk of the winter weather phenomenon.

Scientist Warn of Super Storm - Yahoo News

Something they know that they are not telling ??

new topics

top topics

join