It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times admits it is a Propaganda Paper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Funny how when a paper that blatantly leans to the left, makes a huge error and comes out and attempts to limit the culpability, by "kind of" apologizing for their actions. Let us take a look at their apology shall we?

New York Times "kind of" apology about lying and blatant deceit.

Hmmm, it seems a couple of the reader's comments got through the censors it seems.

From the article-

C. Wenk, a reader in Alexandria, Va., criticized “an egregious rush to judgment in the Times coverage of the Arizona shooting, specifically aimed at linking the shooting to various conservative or Republican political rhetoric.”

A second reader, Kevin O’Donnell of Greenbrae, Calif., saw it as a case of The Times jumping too quickly: “I understand the larger point about coarse speech raising the potential for violence. By offering that debate within hours of events, doesn’t The Times risk starting at the conclusion end of the argument?”

Here, they attempt to blame the political discussion as the reason, but attempt to limit culpability or responsibility for their action because others did it too-

The Times had a lot of company, as news organizations, commentators and political figures shouldered into an unruly scrum battling over whether the political environment was to blame.

Then, we have the New York times attempt to attribute their blatant BIAS and LIES as "genetic".

Journalism educators characterize this kind of framing as a storytelling habit — one of relating new facts to an existing storyline — and also as a reflex of news organizations that are built to handle some topics well, and others less well.

Hmmm, I thought journalists are taught in school to put aside their own feelings and leanings to report the facts. Oh, sorry, I was thinking of REAL JOURNALISTS. Hmmm, where are they nowadays? That would be anywhere but most left leaning old media like the New York Times and other places that used this to push their ideology, mainly flaming leftists.

And the final admission of the New York Times-

“Journalists developed automatic framing protocols generations ago because of the need to report quickly,” he said. “Today’s hyper-deadlines, requiring journalists to report all day long and all night long, made that genetic disposition even more dominant.”

So let me ask you, what was the automatic framing protocols for the story? Oh that is right, blame your political opponents. GOTCHA. I do not know, if you cannot see through the lies and idiocy in this article, you are blind. They pretty much admitted to being a yellow journalism rag at the least or a center for the propagation of leftist propaganda. I am leaning towards the latter.

edit on 17-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: fix tags

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well it's about time they are actually reporting real news........ first accurate report ever.

Problem is, it's not news to well informed ppl, so another epic fail.. They can never get it right.

Thanks for the article!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 11PB11

Hey, they got one right!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

For me, using the event as a political weapon before the bodies had even been cleared off the sidewalk was one of the most disgusting displays of political opportunism I have ever seen. The NY Times wasn't alone. They wanted it to be a Tea Partier so bad that they jumped ahead of the story in the hopes the narrative would pan out in their favor.

Being called a racist, being called a jackboot, being called a Nazi, it's all par for the course for me. I've been getting it from both sides for 10 years. But this was particularly disgusting.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 18-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Personally I think it is the height of responsibility that the Times owned up to their mistakes in covering the story of this shooting and published, in their own pages, criticism from their detractors.

Mistakes are made in all facets of life and business. Those who will evolve and succeed own up to those mistakes and learn from them. Those who seek to hide or minimize their mistakes are damned into repeating them over and over again.

Another personal observation, what troubles me about this article is the closing two paragraphs and they tend to indicate where public opinion is being steered:

Still, I think the intense focus on political conflict — not just by The Times — detracted from what has emerged as the salient story line, that of a mentally ill individual with lawful access to a gun.

Whether covering the basic facts of a breaking story or identifying more complex themes, the takeaway is that time is often the enemy. Sometimes the best weapon against it is to ignore it, and use a moment to consider the alternatives.

Source

Read those words well... because what they say is "The problem isn't in hyperbole or shock media - the problem is lawful access to guns."

Or at least that is how my mind dissected the double speak.

Folks we really need to stop this partisan bickering and susceptibility to divide and conquer strategies, are we are going to wake, one day, realizing that we took our eyes off of the prize and lost our chance at obtaining it.

Now is the time to come together and bring sanity and integrity back to the leadership of this nation.

~Heff
edit on 1/18/11 by Hefficide because: meh

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I noticed that too but I didn't want to bring in a whole other issue here. The way they're pushing gun control is scary, and I see the nervousness of it across party lines.

Bottom line is, if only republicans were gun owners and 2A supporters there wouldn't be 80 million of us.

They talk about my 17(Loughner had 31 rnds but extended is considered anything above 10) round pistol magazines and my 30 round AR mags as if they were the cause of the crime that took place in Tucson(speaking independently of NY Times).

There are no shortages of people continuing to use this event as an excuse to infringe against free speech, and gun ownership. There's been a lot of "Minority Report" style crime "prevention" tactics coming out of both parties.

This is getting scary to me. Every time something happens the politicians come out with freedom ban hammers.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Thanks Hefficide and projectvxn.

Yeah, I left out the gun component. They will get nowhere with that meme. The attack and the coverage by the MSM caused gun sales to spike. People know that things like this, though heinous, always leads the government to be reactionary. Just as government always is. They use problems to institute agendas they want to enact.

You are both spot on.

I just laughed though when I read their "apology".

It sounded like a petulant child caught stealing candy from another child. First I did not do it, then well others did it, then it is because I am a child, then the DOOZY-this is how we do things.

Anyway, I am leaning towards propaganda site. Basic ignorance does not cover them this time.

edit to add-How sad is it, that the truth that one of our greatest papers of the past is just a propaganda site? Rome is not just on fire, it is fricking burnt.

edit to also add-I did not realize I just used a quote from something. The edit to add component about Rome being burnt was from that dragon movie. Reign of Fire.

Do not like to use quotations and not attribute them.
edit on 18-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Didn't have time to read all the reply's but your OP was brilliant, Star and Flag.

Reminds me of the tunisian journalists 'apologising' for years of propaganda this week, stating that they were not taught 'critical thinking' and that if they spoke out on issue's they wanted to it would result in the government scuppering their operation.

Wonder what beans the journalists in the UK would have to spill if we staged an uprising

Theres always hope.

IEA

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by IncrementEthicalAnarchy

Thanks for the kudos. When reading the article I just broke down the arguments they made piece by piece.

The kicker was that last component. Jeez, talk about not even understanding what they just admitted.

top topics

join