It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Opinions of Ricky Gervais and his Golden Globes Humor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
very funny...i think the celebs in the room were trying to save face by not laughing hard "on camera"...oh, so don't let tom cruse see you laughing at the gay joke about him, or he might not like you anymore etc etc

jervais is hilarious

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I'm American and I think it's hillarious, all this PC nonsense is just self censorship. As for scientology and the media look no further than the cartoon South Park. Isaac Hayes who did the voice of Chef was a scientologist and protested the shows parody of scientology by quiting the show. He was more than happy to sing a song with the lyrics "suck my chocolate salty balls" to cartoon children but would not cross the scientology line.
However Russel Brand needs to be deported and take that crazy girlfriend with him.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Good to see some common sense around these parts on this!

Like most others, I find the whole idea of these awards ceremonies a little distasteful and offensive, so when we have something like this happen I think it gives them a little bit more credibility as a show.
People don't particularly want to see a load of celebs giving each other awards. Where is the audience entertainment in that?
But bring in a comedian who can engage the audience at home and you really do have a show.

I hope all the other awards ceremonies learn something from this. If they hire someone like Ricky to mock their industry for the benefit of the people watching at home, I might actually watch one for once!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I didn't see it (for some reason, they really didn't advertise it much this year)....but I did hear that he won't be hosting next year due to the remarks.

Probably not a good idea to make fun of Hollywood's fad religion followed by a few A-listers...
Oops.

I definitely gotta see it now though....

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
It's ok for comedians and hollywood to comment or make fun of everyone else...they need to get some thicker skin...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I think Ricky's performance was refreshing.

I agree with Simon Pegg:

'Seems crazy, he's hired for the very reason people complain. Complainers always have the loudest voices tho. The content tend to keep schtum.

'Those events need to be off set by self deprecation, otherwise it's just televising an elitist party, to which most were not invited.'

The celebrities should just be thankful Frankie Boyle wasn't in charge

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Wow I was ready to hate it as I usually find Ricky a bit smug but he got me with the "New years eve" joke and I didn't stop laughing from that point on

top topics

<< 1   >>

join