It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Opinions of Ricky Gervais and his Golden Globes Humor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I haven't seen this question posed anywhere yet, and though it offered a chance of some insight into difference of opinion.

In the UK right now, there's a lot of discussion going on about Ricky Gervais and his appearance presenting the Golden Globe awards. Specifically, most of the UK media thinks he upset a lot of Americans and celebrities with his jokes at the expense of some of your most famous stars.

Personally, any comedian who jokes about the cult of $cientology and a certain unnamed actors sexual orientation is a friend in my book.

So did you see it? Is American media mentioning their distaste and the offense he (possibly) caused? Or do Americans actually find it funny like the rest of us?

I actually thought the jokes I heard were really funny. I think these celebrities take themselves far too seriously and need to break away from all the fake niceties.

So what's your opinion?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I watched cause my girl was watching. I didn't see anything funny. I don't follow pop-culture, so I guess the jokes were all over m head. My own opinion: Snoooooze Fest.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Nothing outlandish imo

"Just don't look at it when you touch it!"

I notice they bleeped him from saying, "for Christ sake," or it was just a glitch.

spec
edit on 17-1-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I haven't seen this question posed anywhere yet, and though it offered a chance of some insight into difference of opinion.

In the UK right now, there's a lot of discussion going on about Ricky Gervais and his appearance presenting the Golden Globe awards. Specifically, most of the UK media thinks he upset a lot of Americans and celebrities with his jokes at the expense of some of your most famous stars.

Personally, any comedian who jokes about the cult of $cientology and a certain unnamed actors sexual orientation is a friend in my book.

So did you see it? Is American media mentioning their distaste and the offense he (possibly) caused? Or do Americans actually find it funny like the rest of us?

I actually thought the jokes I heard were really funny. I think these celebrities take themselves far too seriously and need to break away from all the fake niceties.

So what's your opinion?

I'm from the US and I just saw the snippet with Ricky and I think it's hilarious. I've seen him do a few interviews and I think he's very funny.

If any of the actors got upset then they need to get over themselves. That Johnny Depp looks like the biggest D. Bag!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
IMO a comedians job is to keep us from taking ourselves to seriously, make us laugh, while telling us uncomfortable truths, and in general rattle the cage. Job well done!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I think he said the only reason "The Tourist" was nominated was so that Johnny Depp and Angelina would have to show up to the Golden Globes.

I watched "The Tourist" last night, and i think he's right lol.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Interesting so far. It seems I was right and our media have got it wrong over here.

I know that our Brit humor can sometimes be lost in translation, but I think that although some celebs might be annoyed or insulted, the general American public enjoyed seeing them being ripped into like that.

I think it's possibly another part of the push against elitism in all forms. Society in general is becoming increasingly offended by extreme wealth and elitism, and I really think the celebrity world is going to start receiving that animosity soon.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Interesting so far. It seems I was right and our media have got it wrong over here.

I know that our Brit humor can sometimes be lost in translation, but I think that although some celebs might be annoyed or insulted, the general American public enjoyed seeing them being ripped into like that.

I think it's possibly another part of the push against elitism in all forms. Society in general is becoming increasingly offended by extreme wealth and elitism, and I really think the celebrity world is going to start receiving that animosity soon.

You know who else you guys had that I really loved? Benny Hill. Now that's some old-school humor!

link   
a comedian best known for controversy is controversial? OMG!
ive seen a few clips on tv today, and i'm suprised anyone gives a flying f%$k.

ugh
edit on 17-1-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

link   
This isn't the national enquirer or people magazine.
I have no clue who he is nor do I care.
Thanks anyway.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This is the one that was a little odd imo, at the end of the speech:

Aaron Sorkin At Golden Globes: “Elite Is Not A Bad Word, It’s An Aspirational One”

There is a video in the article of the speech. Interesting choice of words.

Edit to add: On topic, Ricky did nothing more than a "sweeping elite roast". I thought it was hilarious, especially the Bruce Willis being Ashton's Father was great.
edit on 1/17/2011 by UberL33t because: on topic addition

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Didn't watch it, none of my friends either. The Golden Globes are viewed as an Oscar 'wanna be' show. No one I know pays that much attention to it. But there's alot about our media that I don't get, anyway.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Whitty opening. Just love it when
someone is being obvious. Thanks...

~as above, so below~

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I recall Colbert giving a lengthy roasting to President Bush & Co.

Though I find cringe-comedy ......... difficult to watch .

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I only saw a little bit of it (flipping channels and happened to see Mr. Gervais - I like his humor), and the little I saw, I thought was funny.

What's offensive, IMHO, is the whole general "awards season" itself... a bunch of people getting all dressed up to give each other awards and stroke each others' egos. I really don't understand why people watch, or what they get out of it. But, I guess the same is true for a lot of the trash on TV.

If they scrapped just one big ceremony, and all those producers, performers, attendees, etc. donated the money involved to a good cause, imagine what could be accomplished. But for now... I guess that money is better spent on designer shoes, dresses, and after-parties.

I guess I'm off topic, though - I apologize for the rambling.

If famous people can't take a little harmless joke at their expense once in a while, they shouldn't have aspired to become famous in the first place.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is the first and only time I found Gervais funny. It was worth watching, not least for the reaction of cringing A-listers who clearly can't handle a bit of leg pulling.

If you can't take a bit of a joke, then you need to take a good, long look at yourself and then get over yourself. My favourite part of the clip that I've seen was Robert De Nero wetting himself. That was worth watching alone. He is a true legend.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

American Opinions of Ricky Gervais and his Golden Globes Humor

Speaking just for myself, I am no fan of humor when it is designed to injure someone else, regardless of reason.

There are however, exceptions. One being on the subject of politics and politicians. These people are in public service and rarely do so much as serve an ounce as much as they take a pound.

But overall... I think that when laughs are gained at someone else's expense, the humor goes dry and the comedian becomes a bipedal anus.

Humor is not supposed to hurt.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Robert Downey Jr. and Natalie Portman were totally risque and I had some giggles watching them.

Jervais is totally hilarious.

Watch his interview with Piers Morgan on CNN this week, on Thursday.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I didn't see the show, but when I saw the headlines this morning I had to check it out. I thought it was pretty funny. Not his best work, but the Hugh Hefner bit was pretty good.

This was way more tame than his regular stand up, which is pure genius.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Humor is not supposed to hurt.

I split my sides laughing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join