It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Everything we thought of as paranormal , really just be Quantum Mechanics ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandalphthegrey

Originally posted by rogertom
So called scientific facts, have been known to change, a few years down the line. Anyway my theory for the difference between dimentions, would simply be a change in vibrational frequency.

Great answer . This leads to me next question . Could the difference between alternative reality be something as simple as the rate in which each reality vibrates ?

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject

Regards

This is what i tend to believe.

Frequency.

We for instance can't hear anything above 22khz. Yet frequencies DO exist above that.

We cannot see in the Infra red or ultraviolet frequecnies, Yet the frequencies DO exist.

And so forth.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gandalphthegrey

I think so mate, more often than not the simplest ideas are usually the best.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

If you are observant, upon sufficient exposure, you will soon realize that in essence all New Age ideas, channeled (from ETs) information, daoist mysticism, occultism and so on all seem to revolve around a very similar metaphysical core.

One interesting idea (perhaps "perspective" is more adequate ("hypothesis" for the prick-debunker mentality ppl)) is that all parallel realities exist in one single moment. So all possibilities are played out. Therefore, even as you move your hand from left through right, you are shifting through parallel realities. The more you expand you consciousness (-> become MORE conscious of MORE things) the more you can escape from the illusion of linearity of time and physicality of perceived reality. The more immediately you can manifest the reality you desire. Sparks the imagination, does it not ?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Yes and our entire nervous system carries an electrical signature, and that in turn creates a mild electromagnetic field.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

An interesting experiment is to build a circuit which turns on an LED and just something like a piezo tweeter at the same time. Up the frequency (its a little different for everyone) and expect to see the LED stop "blinking" in ones visual perception, but the speaker will still be creating distinct pulses. Its something in the area of 100 hz, if i remember right (was a while back). Cant find links for the life of me..

Link to OSA is about all i could locate...

and a wikipedia link
edit on 17-1-2011 by sinohptik because: links

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

That is a nifty idea.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

It is said that so called spooks are on a higher frequency, perhaps that would apply to a dimentional other.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

would,nt like to have to work it out though, the pulses of light are that short.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I wonder if at this very moment there is a person in the future (because supposedly the past, present and future intersect and coexist) who's sitting near my chair, hearing me type, and hearing the chair squeak mysteriously. Maybe they sit on their couch completely terrified of the sounds they're hearing. Maybe the sounds I make come and go as if carried by a/an (electric) breeze. Am I their ghost even though I feel perfectly alive?

What we call paranormal, are they just the past present and future briefly colliding? Could it be due to weather or magnetic conditions? Maybe due to the energy we (or they) give off at that very moment in time? It could be several different conditions coming together perfectly to form that glitch when we suddenly hear/see/feel each other in space and time. Who knows. I've had plenty of experiences myself (some unbelievably vivid), and I still don't know what to think or believe. I think maybe someday science will be able to explain these things, but I think it will be many decades, maybe centuries before science can finally solve that mind-boggling puzzle.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Yes and our entire nervous system carries an electrical signature, and that in turn creates a mild electromagnetic field.

Indeed.

On this notion, what if we are electromagnetic transmitters and receivers, what if our chemical emotions create such signals?

What about our brainwaves - various states for different functions, sleeping, thinking, working, meditating etc...

What if our different brain states receive and transmit at different levels?

What is thought?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rogertom

It is a really eye-opening experience! Ha!

*ahem*

Frequencies are an interesting thing

Corresponding ATS thread

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

It is said that so called spooks are on a higher frequency, perhaps that would apply to a dimentional other.

I heard otherwise. Supernatural theories often equate to 'lower' frequencies from what i've read.

From wikipedia

The Ghost in the Machine
Research by Vic Tandy, a lecturer at Coventry University, suggested that an infrasonic signal of 19 Hz might be responsible for some ghost sightings. Tandy was working late one night alone in a supposedly haunted laboratory at Warwick, when he felt very anxious and could detect a grey blob out of the corner of his eye. When Tandy turned to face the grey blob, there was nothing.
The following day, Tandy was working on his fencing foil, with the handle held in a vise. Although there was nothing touching it, the blade started to vibrate wildly. Further investigation led Tandy to discover that the extractor fan in the lab was emitting a frequency of 18.98 Hz, very close to the resonant frequency of the eye given as 18 Hz by NASA.[20] This was why Tandy had seen a ghostly figure—it was an optical illusion caused by his eyeballs resonating. The room was exactly half a wavelength in length, and the desk was in the centre, thus causing a standing wave which was detected by the foil.[21]
Tandy investigated this phenomenon further and wrote a paper entitled The Ghost in the Machine.[22] Tandy carried out a number of investigations at various sites believed to be haunted, including the basement of the Tourist Information Bureau next to Coventry Cathedral[23][24] and Edinburgh Castle.[25][26]

en.wikipedia.org...

Do LOW frequency waves explain hauntings?

The Tourist Information Centre next to Coventry Cathedral stands over a 14th century cellar. The cellar was discovered during construction of the Centre and the builders connected the two with an underground corridor.

The Centre offered guided tours of the cellar and some visitors reported feeling a "presence" in the room. A journalist claimed he saw a ghostly face peering over his shoulder.

Tandy and his colleagues placed sound measuring equipment in the cellar area and discovered that the corridor was supporting a 19Hz standing wave like that found in the lab. Tandy reported the group’s findings in a paper titledSomething in the Cellar, published in 2000.

www.suite101.com...

Standing waves are essentially trapped frequencies, unable to diffuse or be absorbed. Often overlapping create 'bass traps'... At least in sound engineering terms, I imagine the same theory exists for vibrational, infrastructure.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

The current belief in quantum physics is that there are alternate universes. They believe this because on a subatomic level the rules of nature change. They have been unable to explain this difference and therefore (with absolutely no proof) determined that there must be alternate universes doing something we can't see. They cannot even explain gravity. The belief in an alternate reality is held by spiritual believers, we just give the place a name. It is where the spirits are. So, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindu, Gnostic, Satanists and many others would basically agree with you on some level.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I keep thinking of things like De Ja Vue could be answered using the theory that other parallel universes can co-exist along with ours . I think that Quantum physics will answer so many questions and , hopefully , open so many doors one day

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Everyone is over-estimating quantum physics. Because in the long and short of it quantum physics is merely the physics of how really big and really small things work within our existence(our unique vibrational existence, frequency based existence or dimensional existence). Hence the existence of string theory and other competing physic theories. And why scientist's say other dimensions might have "other law's of physics" aka quantum physics can't be applied accurately.

Personally I think that if the difference was merely vibrational the bleed over effects could very well have made it impossible for life to start(imagine a super-nova type explosion in another "dimension" bleeding over slightly, or a "big bang" from another dimension bleeding over, in an infinite or infinite from a human perspective, there has to be tons of big bang events happening "somewhere else" as we speak).

I wouldn't be surprised if the vibrational differences between dimensions where small but the barrier "areas"(extreme high and extreme low vibrations) where like locks in a canal. Of course there will still be some bleed over, but it would be rare. Hypothetically speaking of course.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

OK like you i have no knowledge of quantum physics but i can spell encounter..
only kidding...

Heres a view on the matter,,,,, did anyone see the episode of the next generation where the enterprise was being dragged into a black hole by an unknown force, and it turned out to be caught in the flow of millions of 2 dimensional beings that were moving towards the black hole....
Well since we really dont know how many dimensions there are and much like the fish example someone else previously used then it opens up a world of possibility as to what else i out there or even in here. we can only see what our senses let us and thats it.

I think that quantum physics may well help us discover much more information about the universe and reality in general but i dont think that its the only discipline that holds secrets.

And on a total tangent is it possible to know everything? because by that rational if we knew everything then we could understand and do anything then we would be like god but as god is supposedly everything then would you cease to exist. ahh foret the laast bit im tired

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I recently read "the Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking. It's a pretty watered down book for Hawking standards, but does do a good job of trying to explain quantum mechanics to a laymen.

quantum mechanics describes the laws governing the smallest particles we know. They are searching for a grand unified theory that could encompass what we know about large bodies (gravity, physics etc) and also jive with quantum mechanics.

At the quantum level nothing seems to make sense at all. I'll use one of the examples from the book to explain. The experiment is called the slot experiment or something like that.

imagine a soccer field with a wall between a kicker and the net. There are 2 slots spaced apart in the wall. the kicker kicks ball after ball towards the wall, the balls will line up in a rough pattern behind each slit, essentially making 2 separate pools of balls. If you remove one slit, the balls congregate the same behind the open slit.

Now do the same experiment using buckyballs (not the magnets, the particle) shooting them at the wall, you'd expect the same results. You basically get the same results UNTIL you remove 1 slit. then it gets weird, as the balls align in a fashion that simple can't be by chance.

To try to explain this (badly): The smallest particle doesn't take a simple path. If you kick the ball, you know the starting position and end position. Using these reference points you can determine the balls place over a period of time.

You can't do this with particles because they don't take a path, they take ALL possible paths. This is why when they explain movements of quantum elements they are talking histories, as the particle potentially took every possible path to the end point, so you can't find it's location over time the same as a ball.

the scary part is that the particles seemed to know the second slot was closed and adjusted for it.

It's quite hard to explain if someone can find a link to images of this please do, or just buy the book, fantastic read.

Part of the theory that tries to explain the weirdness is the multiverse, potentially 11 universes ontop of each other. As well, they are saying there are potentially thousands of extra dimensions of all shapes and sizes, everywhere.

This could explain how some particles appear to disappear and reappear in other locations, as if teleporting. The physics based approach seems to suggest they aren't disappearing per say, but merely shifting into another dimension we can't see.

I myself attribute most paranormal experiences to this. I have no scientific reason to believe this but it's a little less depressing that thinking when I die my "soul" will just hang around hoping for the Ghost hunters to show up.

so far, quantum theory doesn't explain everything, no theory does, which is why a lot of movement is being made in the "m theory" instead of a unified theory, a collection of theories that apply to specific parts, but not the whole. Einsteins dream of a grand single theory might never happen, but so far we can explain large objects, and are making great strides explaining the small.

So with the multiverse theory in mind, and the fact that particles apparently take every possible path from point a to point b, this leads to an intriguing possibility. Every event that could have happened has, every possible choice has been made, every single thing that could be is, somewhere, over the vast plains of the multiverse. Somewhere right now, someone who looks like me could be typing the exact opposite view on a board like this.

As quantum theory evolves it also starts to explain the loophole Einstein left for time travel. But it wouldn't necessarily be time travel like in SCI FI, it would probably be more like alternate time lines, each change creating a new branch.

It's also postulated that the big bang event that say created our universe was actually the end of another older universe. I'm not sure where I picked this up from but I call it the bubble theory. Our universe is a bubble, or fishbowl, and we're the fish. What we see is distorted so our reality is inside the bowl, the edge of that bowl is the edge of the universe. Outside of the bowl is a whole world we can't see or explain, containing numerous other bubbles, all separate universes, some getting huge and lasting long, others fizzling away like a glass of Coke.

time and space are connected and we can think of time as a 4th dimension, who's to say the ufos aren't images from our future, or a possible future? Who's to say ghosts and apparitions aren't merely weak spots between dimensions/universes.

It's quite amazing that the science is more crazy than religion when it comes to all of this.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by phishybongwaters

Hi mate, are you perchance referring to the double slit experiment?

Check this video - for a good layman's explanation.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
exellent thread!
i myself have often wondered if so called mediums are in contact with the minds of others in the next parallel you know rather than the dead! if QM pans out is it not more likley that this is the case i mean more likley than talking to the dead? 2nd law of thermodynamics considered.allthough both ideas are fancifull!
my own investigations into mediums have lead me to conclude that 99% of mediums are crooks liars and tricksters
BUT every now and again one of them does seem to provide infomation that is not available (unless they can read minds) which to me is even more unlikley! xxx

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I would agree. Science is a culmination of our knowledge up until the present. It can only explain so much.

You might find this coast to coast interview about shifting time limes interesting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join