It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dating website plans to use your publicly available info to pimp you out.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This is pretty crazy, makes me glad I deleted my facebook... Too bad I can't remember my myspace password.

Online dating company Gotham Dating Partners has announced plans to create profiles for non-registered individuals based on publicly available information on social networking sites.

Source

This is my first news post...Hope I did alright.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by totalmetal

Nice find!

I can't see how this can be allowed.
Sure people have made their information public, but they have not agreed for it to be used in that context. Surely claiming that someone is looking for love on a dating site when they aren't is a lie and possibly libellous?

Just because peoples info is available online I'm pretty sure that doesn't make it legal to use it in whatever context you want, what if I made a list of "Australias most wanted" and used peoples facebook info to populate it. I would be expecting to be sued until I was penniless.

I truly hope that this site gets hammered with take down requests from every single person whos info they use.
edit on 17-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well, this is hellu creepy - one of the sites they run is Prison Hookup!
Yikes.

Good times ahead...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
WTF????How can they do this if you are not even single? What is it for the cheaters and homewreckers, too?
I am not worried about the prison people, well for one my residence on my profile is a lie and two if they come here they're going to meet the business end of my sword. Where is this website, can we have a link so I can start hammering them right now with threats of lawsuit for violating privacy laws???

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies...Yes, this is ludacris, what if the person added to the dating site isn't even single??? Best check your privacy settings if this is to really happen.

Here is the link to the people supposedly planning to do this:
Gotham Dating Partners

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
They are very crafty nowhere on there page is any way to send feedback or contact them!!!! I just went and set all my prof's to private...take that Arsches!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by totalmetal

Nice find!

I can't see how this can be allowed.
Sure people have made their information public, but they have not agreed for it to be used in that context. Surely claiming that someone is looking for love on a dating site when they aren't is a lie and possibly libellous?

Just because peoples info is available online I'm pretty sure that doesn't make it legal to use it in whatever context you want, what if I made a list of "Australias most wanted" and used peoples facebook info to populate it. I would be expecting to be sued until I was penniless.

I truly hope that this site gets hammered with take down requests from every single person whos info they use.

Ok so i just glanced at this and I totally forget the name of the law but from my understanding you DO have the right to control how your likeness is used for commercial purposes. If they do something like that to me...wait wait...I'm totally finding the site and LOOKING for me...that's a lawsuit waiting for me to win. chaching!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
back and using google advanced operators to search the sites contents for my name...no avail so far...they run a myriad of sites one of which could be VERY damaging to someone "www.prisonhookup.com" that's right. People that want to date prisoners. It almost looks like a joke, but i wouldn't be laughing had I found my name on that site. Anyhow...I digress.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tech53
back and using google advanced operators to search the sites contents for my name...no avail so far...they run a myriad of sites one of which could be VERY damaging to someone "www.prisonhookup.com" that's right. People that want to date prisoners. It almost looks like a joke, but i wouldn't be laughing had I found my name on that site. Anyhow...I digress.

Haha, yeah I've done googled myself to make sure my info isn't available out there for the loonies. Can you imagine having your profile information put onto prison hookup! Haha, how do prisoners even get access to the internet? Does anyone know? I have been to prison actually and there was no way we could have gotten online...though I did hear that some people had gotten some phones...maybe that's how. I answered my own question, yay.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well I couldn't figure out how to edit my post...I was going to put this up at the top.

Was re-reading the source and noticed this tidbit...

"Wherever we can extract information about you, we will, as long as it's in the public domain.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc38b3115ad8.jpg[/atsimg]

Can you imagine having them create a profile for you on Uglypeopledate.com? How terrible, lol!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
ONLINE BOOTY JUMP OFF........WTF. These are some incredibly stupid web sites no wonder they have to fake people into it, no one probably wants to join on their own!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOMALY502
ONLINE BOOTY JUMP OFF........WTF. These are some incredibly stupid web sites no wonder they have to fake people into it, no one probably wants to join on their own!!!

Hahaha, yeah and the image got cutoff, there are a couple more terribly named dating sites that are hosted by Gotham Dating Partners as well.

Here is a link to the image
edit on 19-1-2011 by totalmetal because: messed up link

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Well we could all complain, but it is one of the first companies that actually tells that it uses online info, that people have sold to companies by clicking on I agree with T&C buttons, unlike other companies or for that matter governments.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
search for yourself on spokeo.com .. then delete all the entries that contain your information.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

It doesn't work for me as I'm in the UK but I just looked up one of my US friends and it was almost all wrong.
It said she was married when she's single and it said her house was worth 800k and had 3 bathrooms
She lives in a trailer

top topics

join