It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you like to experience your own soul?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Is there any reason to believe we are all separate souls and not just one soul experiencing itself or experiencing the universe through many forms?

The reason I question this is because:

What about non-human souls? If simpler organisms also have souls (humans are just intelligent monkeys after all) then where do you draw the line? Dogs? Insects? Do bacteria, viruses and plants have souls? If so, are they the same as human souls?

Where is the soul/what is the soul doing, before birth and after death? Does it even exist outside of life? If so, for how long? Eternity? For our soul to last for eternity, it would have to be so different from who we think we are now. For our soul to last for eternity it would have to be in no way linked to our current personality or characteristics. The reason for this is boredom. Who we think we are now would be incredibly bored after the first hundred billion years. We would have done everything there is to do and seen everything there is to see thousands of times, and eternity would only just be beginning.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azp420
Is there any reason to believe we are all separate souls and not just one soul experiencing itself or experiencing the universe through many forms?

This is what I believe. The soul is love. There is one Universal love. Love is light and positive energy. We are all one in spirit.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I think I kind of know what your saying. Perception. I perceive therefore I am, kind of deal. I know it is easy to say but hard to understand.

I got a crash course through a highly stupid action(that no one should repeat because it is so stupid). Some called it a "California head rush", when I first heard about it, they called it a "death trip". Suffice to say I watched several other people do it first before I gave it a go(they where only out for a matter of 2-3 seconds). I was out for about 45 seconds to a minute.

I remember the "trip part", was just sitting in the back of a car looking out the window then after what seemed like a long,long time everything just faded away into nothingness. It was like all color, light and matter just faded away inside the "dream trip".

And for what seemed like an eternity I just perceived nothingness. No thought, no emotions, no feeling, no up, no down, no left, no right, but I still perceived it. Everything I thought I knew suggested oblivion should be nothing more than a blip. Like when you get punched in the back of the head and it goes black for a second it feels like less time went by than it actually did. Something you can't really perceive(from a strict intellectual point of view).

The real danger though in accepting other perspectives is that you could ignore or forget about your own perspective. But I suppose one could argue that the sentiment is nothing more than the fear of ones own ego.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

And for what seemed like an eternity I just perceived nothingness. No thought, no emotions, no feeling, no up, no down, no left, no right, but I still perceived it. Everything I thought I knew suggested oblivion should be nothing more than a blip. Like when you get punched in the back of the head and it goes black for a second it feels like less time went by than it actually did. Something you can't really perceive(from a strict intellectual point of view).

yeah thats it !!!!! Its freakin awesome ...and yet everything you just said about that state is just the beginning .....its also nonlocalized, and infinitely expansive, all perspectives at once yet no perspectives at once....

The gateway is awareness

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

You're talking about what the ancients called the Purusha (the detached witness). The best secrets are often hidden in plain sight... Here's some links that will help you in your researches:

Bhagavad Gita, Chapter 13: The field (Prakriti) and its Knower (Purusha)

Pavitra's Notebook

Sri Aurobindo: Real liberation comes when the Purusha awakes and feels himself separate from nature, not bound by it but free and lord.

Disciple: But generally the Purusha is bound.

Sri Aurobindo: Of course, normally the Purusha consents to the action of Prakriti but he can withdraw his consent and stand apart. He can be free by getting out of evolution i.e. by being free from the working of ego and nature-personalities.

Disciple: When the freedom of the Purusha is won then it becomes possible for the individual to look beyond the Cosmic Spirit to the Transcendent, and act in the Cosmos according to the will of the Transcendent – is it so?

Sri Aurobindo: Yes, that is to say, instead of being an instrument of ignorant nature you become the instrument of the Divine...

Purani A.B. evening talks with Sri Aurobindo

Disciple: What is the characteristic of the Purusha on each plane of being – the physical, the vital and the mental – looking at the world?

Sri Aurobindo: The Purusha looks at the world as Prakriti i.e. Nature, represents it to be. On the mental plane Prakriti represents thoughts, ideas – in short, all mental movements. On the vital plane Prakriti represents itself as desires – in short, as action of the vital force. On the physical plane it represents itself as the unchangeable law of physical life.

Disciple: When the Purusha separates itself from Prakriti, how is it possible for it to aspire for something higher?

Sri Aurobindo: It is not the Purusha but the Prakriti which has to be made to aspire and made fit. The Purusha is silent, passive, looking at Prakriti...

The reason why he is not getting knowledge, probably, is that his mind is active. So long as the mind is active higher Knowledge cannot come. He can get mental knowledge, of course.

Ask him to make his mind passive and open to the higher Knowledge. Let him stop the egoistic activity in his mind. When I ask him to be passive I do not mean that he should repress the thoughts that come to his mind; he should rather separate himself as the mental Purusha and watch the thoughts as happening in him, but not as his. He has to watch them and reject those that are to be rejected.

Disciple: Many people mistake passivity for inertia. I mistook it for a long time. I used to remain passive when I got an illness and then I found that I was consenting to it.

Sri Aurobindo: Real passivity is openness to the Higher Force; it is not inertia...

The three Purushas

Katha Upanishad

A better translation of the Katha Upanishad (by Sri Aurobindo - p.111)

The following books also talk about the Purusha:

The Life Divine

The Synthesis of Yoga
edit on 23-1-2011 by D1ss1dent because: link

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join