It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people think that people with friends are less likely criminals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I am sick of the rubbish coming out about how people with no friends or girlfriends or what ever are going to do this and that. From what i have learned people with friends commit more crimes than ones without.

Why is it we always jump to these rubbish conclusions about how people who are loners, are going to do this and that.

I am a loner. (so i like being alone)
I have never committed any crime.(people with friends commit loads of crimes)
I have been passive all my life(while all males with friends go around doing all the violence)
Not one thing in my life justified this rubbish targeting.

I do not want to do any crime and the police have now targeted me for 19 years.

So tell us all people, why is it that people who are loners, and most loners do nothing to anyone. Why are they targeted so much?

Show us where are the stats that show people with no friends or girlfriends and do not want them, are more likely to do something in life wrong. Where is that stat?
edit on 1/17/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Whoot finally, I can ask this question of you and have it be ON TOPIC ...

Can You PLEASE elaborate on how you have been "targeted" ?

Thank you in advance,,

Respectfully yours,

~Meathead

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I have no privacy what so ever for 19 years. The police came into my life when i was doing my alevels in 1992, and with techs destroyed my life there, and have never left me alone since. I have gone into my life details alot on this board, and just ignore this thread if you want to debate whats talked about earlier in all threads i have done.

Can we stay on topic, about why and how do people come to the conclusion that males without friends or partners are going to do something wrong? Why is that?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
well it comes down to profiling.
past history of serial killers
and terrorists seem to have
that trait in common.
They need privacy alone
to concoct their evil intentions.
So thus it becomes a red flag
for the grunts.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
A few reasons I can think of off the top of my head, no doubt others will point out all. These are not necessarily my opinion, just a few possible ideas:

Many will argue it's not natural to be alone, as a result this signifies you're abnormal and can in turn lead to greater problems- mental disorders are like car windscreens, the crack only seems very small at first, but over time the crack can grow until it leads to the whole windscreen breaking i.e a person snapping- who knows what someone will do then.

Also, because you have noone to share the pressures of life with, stress can easily get on top of you and make you more likely to do something crazy. You have no calming influence, no second opinion telling you to question your belief system, which can easily get out of hand.

Fear of the unknown- people don't understand why you'd want to live your life alone, links to the 1st point.

Finally, loner is a term which is associated with social rejection- as a result, people may deem it logical that individuals of a certain mindset who have been faced with this rejection may want revenge in some way.

They inter-connect really, and as I say, I don't think it makes you any less of a person if you choose to live alone. Sometimes it's hard to remember in a society which is as over-bearing as ours, but if you're happy and you're not hurting anyone else, that's totally fine and noone can tell you it's wrong.
edit on 17-1-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hi Andy,

I see your point about the friends thing, it is a shame when people think that it's almost some kind of affliction to not be part of the crowd.

Personally i can do both. I work fine in a team, i am also very much in love with my girlfiend, however i am also very happy in my own company.

I don't have to be part of the crowd down the local, in fact that brings about more hassles than some would like to admit.

For anyone to think that this brings about criminal intentions, well thats rather silly if you ask me. Yes many well known criminals in the past have been loners, but i could name as many that had family.

Having heard a little bit about you Andy (from what you have disclosed to us here), i would suggest you stop worrying about everyone else. Have some "me time" and go do something you enjoy, without giving a damn what anyone thinks.

Stop worrying about the police too, as you've already said in the past, they've never arrested you....so you can't be that bad.

Although you've never expanded on the "techs" that caused the police to wreck your exams, just say for talkings sake that they did indeed do this. That was many years ago i am guessing...yes? I say that because you say they have been hassling you for 18 years, so unless they had you targeted as a baby....well you know.

So why not forget about it? So they messed your exams up......why not go back and take them again, stick two fingers...and a qualification up to those who messed your life up.

The police do not waste thier time and money on you unless you give them reason to.

Regarding the friends thing though....you often find that those who appear to have many friends, do in fact have very few when push comes to shove.

Keep smiling mate....plenty out there to smile about still.

CX.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
im sure if someone was to research it.....they'dm find historically that loners and people who tend to stay alone, few friends, etc... are traits of past psychos........i believe its fact due to the numbers that the majority of people who commit these violent acts were loners. The majority of them.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
that trait in common.
They need privacy alone
for the grunts.

I suppose it does eventually manifest as profiling in the practical application within modern society. However, when looking at 'why' for what appears to be an ingrained, assumptive categorization of behavior, one must find the genesis; which you touched on in the latter part of your post. We (as in most of us) instinctively assume on some level that the anti-social are that way because they have or may have something to hide. It is a knee-jerk biology driven response of a social animal. At the end of the day... There is the "why".

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
its symptomatic of anti-social behavor

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
that trait in common.
They need privacy alone
for the grunts.

...none of that is really profiling worthy (not even for grunts)... ted bundy wasnt a loner, neither was john wayne gacy, btk, green river killer - its a long list...

...so, andy is right that being a loner does not mean someone is a sociopath... however, it doesnt mean one is not a sociopath, lol...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Very, very good question.

As someone socially avoidant, I do find it rather odd that loners are all thought to be psychopaths - after all, the vast majority of violent criminals are not alone when they commit their crimes.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

"There is a stereotypical view that serial killers are loners, antisocial, and unable to maintain any relations, but that's mythology,"
www.medicinenet.com...

The fact is most serial killers have "friends" (or at least what appear to be friends) many even have families. They would've never been so successful if they were outcasts.

reply to post by andy1033

I believe You are correct that people with friends commit more crimes than loners for the simple fact of the mob mentality. or "peer pressure" (I was arrested a few times in my youth and never was I alone and usually I was just guilty by association and not even really guilty of the actual crime)

I think people are scared of loners because they themselves need other people to validate them where as a loner doesn't.

Sure you have people like the Columbine shooters who plaster the news with their heinous crimes but those are in fact people that want friends but are odd or socially inept so don't have them.

It is my opinion that the person that has no friends and is a loner by choice is 90% of the time harmless and just wants to be left alone.

I personally am a loner myself. I have a family and 1-2 people I consider friends and that is because I basically live with them when I am at work on a 40ft fishing boat.(when you're cooped up on a 40ft long 10 foot wide boat with someone for 3-4 days at a time you better be friends) The rest of the world is too tedious to be bothered with. I do my own thing and don't bother anyone and don't want to be bothered by anyone. That is not a bad thing nor does it make me a criminal.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Adamanteus because: (no reason given)

top topics

join