It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuxnet Virus Attack: Russia Warns of ‘Iranian Chernobyl'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Russian nuclear officials have warned of another Chernobyl-style nuclear disaster at Iran's controversial Bushehr reactor because of the damage caused by the Stuxnet virus, according to the latest Western intelligence reports.

www.commondreams.org...

I thought that the problem had all been cleared up. Evidenlty this is not the case. The virus is unique the first of its kind. It looks for specifc automatated software on windows and when it finds it messes with the hardware. It can be used to damage industrial works and in paticular appears to be set up to attack the iranian nuclear reactor.
That is an oversimplifiedfor further particulars watch the video below.

Rumours have spread around the net that the virus was released by iisraelis. Who ever done it put a lot of work into it. It iisraelis the work of governments.
The russians have been helping the iranians but now have warned that

that they could be facing "another Chernobyl" if they were forced to comply with Iran's tight deadline to activate the complex this summer.

Let us hope no such thing happens but if it did the people that wrote the virus might just as well have dropped a nuclear bomb on the area. The iranians are not without fault in this and want to push ahead regardless of saftey.

The Iranian government is bitterly opposed to any further delay, which it would regard as another blow to national pride on a project that is more than a decade behind schedule. While Western intelligence officials believe Iran's nuclear programme is aimed at producing nuclear weapons, Iran insists the project's goals are peaceful.

I am not against ant country having nuclear facilites but saftey is paramount and in the case it appears that all sides are being reckless..

kx

edit on 17-1-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I will try to track down the article from Fox News, but it pretty much stated that the US and Israeli had tested that virus before it was deployed into the Iranian system. From what I have read about it, it affects the centrifuges, causing them to spin faster or slower than they are supposed to, which throws off the process as well as damages the centrifuges themselves.

Iran has tried to reomve the program on their own, but apparently its adaptive. Everytime the Iranians isolated and attempted to remove, the virus apparently adapted and made matters worse.

The damage done so far has set their program back by about 2 years.

EDIT - Found the articles
Military Tech
U.S.-Israel Tested Worm Linked to Iran's Atom Woes, Report Says

NYTimes

Jerusalem post
edit on 17-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Rumours have spread around the net that the virus was released by iisraelis. Who ever done it put a lot of work into it. It iisraelis the work of governments.

It's not a rumour. It's a fact.

LINK

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
S&F crazy times we live in indeed. I fear that in the future we will see attacks on plants that are up and running and Chernobyl results for sure. Kinda makes you cringe to think about it, we are so gonna screw ourselves one of these times it's just a matter of odds.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Couln't Iran just build one of the new cold fusion reactors? Or a thorium based one?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is so interesting....I think this type of thing will be the warfare of the future.....which is pretty scary. It has so many possibilities.....just hitting power grids or satellites would be devastating!

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

So does Anon admit to having it? Or is this an alibi for another Govt Stuxnet attack on Iran?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I'm against all countries having nuclear facilities. It was the worst possible alternative energy to put research and effort into. When we decided to pursue it did we not have the foresight to see that countries would be seeking it and it could be used for a nuclear arms program? Also the by products are horrible..

That said no country that has it should say any other country can't I suppose.
edit on 19-11-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

So does Anon admit to having it? Or is this an alibi for another Govt Stuxnet attack on Iran?

I have not seen Anon admitting to have it. Since it is now openly available I would guess it is just fearmongering or as you said an alibi for future attacks by government. These kinds of attacks will only become more common now the idea is out...

top topics

join