It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists warn California could be struck by winter ‘superstorm’........

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
All I have to say is Katrina. Heed the warning when scientists say there could be a winter superstorm. Don't think that because it hasn't happened in our lifetime that it won't happen. Didn't scientists say that New Orleans was supposed to get a crazy hurricane? And sure enough...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
all these events are becoming so obvious that something is brewing up that i must consider start trusting my inner self more

What event? There is nothing. It's only a slow news day. Researchers and news people trying to keep their jobs afloat is all it is. We've always had the same threat. Today is no different than any other day.

Dude, have another Heineken and be happy.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
they say there is no worry and no imminent threat...

they also said they could handle Katrina and they saw that coming!!??

anyway here is an interesting shot of a big system in the pacific. I am always watching these Sat maps and this is a BIG system... The article also mentions warmer temps and here in MT we have had warm winds from the south and at least 3 melts this winter which is much warmer than usual, the ground here is usually frozen all winter.

www.weather.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thyhorrorcosmic
I'm screwed, i live in the central valley.

dont worry man, Im moving down to the central coast here in a couple days, it floods there after raining for 2 days... I should invest in a canoe (so should you)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138

A group of more than 100 scientists and experts say in a new report that California faces the risk of a massive "superstorm" that could flood a quarter of the state's homes and cause $300 billion to $400 billion in damage. Researchers point out that the potential scale of destruction in this storm scenario is four or five times the amount of damage that could be wrought by a major earthquake.

Source

This would not be good- later in the article it says that such a storm could last for more than 40 days-yikes!!

edit on 17-1-2011 by Skippy1138 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17 Jan 2011 by Hellmutt because: fixed link

I'm not sure where they came up with the figure of $300 to $400 billion in damages.
If a quarter of the states homes were flooded, I believe that amount would go 10
times higher. That is a lot of homes, and with the price of property in California,
3-4 hundred billion hardly seems like a drop in the bucket. What do I know though?
I hope it doesn't happen, as I have a daughter in Santa Barbera. (sp?)
edit on 17-1-2011 by endtimer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

yep things are definitely getting crazy!! pretty soon we are not going to have to go too the movies too see disaster it will be rite outside

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Californians aren't sure whether to prepare for doomsday or shrug off this latest report from meteorologists. Dubbed the "superstorm," scientists from the U.S. Geological Survey's (USGS) Multi Hazards Demonstration Project (MHDP) just presented a document hypothesizing the effects of a massive winter storm on the state of California. Over 100 scientists, public policy experts, and engineers signed on to the research, which aims to help prepare the state for multiple emergency scenarios by shoring up already-existing infrastructure and proposing new ideas. For example, research from MHDP's first hypothetical hazard, the ShakeOut Earthquake Scenario, resulted in a massive earthquake drill that involved over 5.5 million citizens. MHDP's report predicts that in the event of a catastrophic storm, California's flood protection systems would be overwhelmed and property damage could reach almost $400 billion dollars. Over 1.5 million residents would have to be evacuated, and "business interruption costs" could reach $325 billion in addition to the aforementioned property costs. Yahoo! News quotes Lucy Jones, one of the study's architects on the plausibility of such a scenario:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
There is nothing right now, the article talks about what MAY happen...

However, since it is a historical fact that this has happenned many times before, I find it odd that the media is all kinds of hyped up about this now. It's not like there are not enough sensationalized articles out there.

What do you all think...are they trying to forewarn us, or just rack up their own sales?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This is a no-brainer for Natives to the Central Valley of California. The entire old Sacramento area is built on the second story above the original city that was ruined in the last "Super Storm".

When it happens again most of the new transplants that bought houses in the flood plains will be surprised. But they were warned and the rest of us bought houses not in the "100 year flood plain" will be in our boats and rafts helping them out.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The Weather Channel just gave a Warning for a Super Storm in CA! I only just caught a blip of it as I just walked in and only read the Warning. Be aware - I will look further into this. This is some weather pattern the world is experiencing at the moment.

Edit: NOAA is not showing any warnings out at this time.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

maybe they were just making gripping headlines really small to get people to watch a new documentary about supestorms!!!!

edit on 1/18/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Yes - put that together with the treand across the US Watches and Warnings - - Yes Folks we have the making of a major super storm (IMO) - Washington, Oregon, Northern CA might want to prepare.

And, check out the preasure that will keep the trend in place Here
edit on 18-1-2011 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join