It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cornell West Says Obama Is NOT the Fufillment of Martin Luther King Jr.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I hope people understand this, this video needs to be seen by the masses
Please spread the word as you see fit

It's not about left or right, it's about right or wrong
It's about people putting Obama so high up where he absolutely does not belong

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I love listening to West. The guy is brilliant and speaks so eloquently. I also like how the video cuts off at the appropriate time when Ariana began to speak!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Good video. What ONE MAN could be the fulfillment of MLK's dream? There is not ONE man or woman that I can think of who could wear those shoes.

Tell me, though... Did someone claim that Barack Obama was THE fulfillment of MLK's dream?

West does say that Barack Obama is A fulfillment of MLK's dream, just not THE fulfillment. I would have to agree. No one man could be.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Sorry but I think you completely missed the point of his speech

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I don't think so:
The 2 party system is broken.
The corporations own the US, no matter which party is in power.
MLK supported the working man and wouldn't approve of the wars we're in.

What did I miss? If you think I missed something, at least tell me what it is.
I promise I'm smart enough to understand.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Good video. What ONE MAN could be the fulfillment of MLK's dream? There is not ONE man or woman that I can think of who could wear those shoes.

Tell me, though... Did someone claim that Barack Obama was THE fulfillment of MLK's dream?

Pat Robertson Says Ronald Reagan was NOT the second comming of Jesus Christ!

Yes...MLK dreamed big, but as far as I am aware...it wasn't about a man of color being elected to the highest political office in the land...

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; one day right there in Alabama, little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
No single person is a fullfilment or can be, it's a state of society a state of being, an attainment, when the Census does not question one's race, when the vast majority or inter-racial crime is not black, when the KKK hold a rally and maybe 30 people show up, yet the black klans, like Nation of Islam hold a rally and nearly a million show up, when this stops, when you see rich blacks adopting poor white children from the Ukraine, when thug rap is a distant memory, when BET, and others like that are gone, when military tests have the same requirements for all, when all this happens, then we might see a greater step in that fulfillment. Obama was just a media hype and a play on race guilt, and black racism, to get a non-whitey in. Yet he is no different than Bush, and any of them. There has to be a rise from race classification and designation, and a unity of all peoples, if we are to fulfill MLK's dream. Biased policizing under his name is a disgrace to what to he stood for.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What did I miss? If you think I missed something, at least tell me what it is.
I promise I'm smart enough to understand.

The part where a pro-war... ehem.. excuse me, a pro-pre-emptive-war leader with many executive orders should not be compared to MLK

It's not that nobody can be compared in full with MLK
The point is Obama should not, he is too far from it, maybe even on the other end of the spectrum

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
!Awesome, a great OP, thanks, on the birthday of MLK!
Barack Obama is a disappointment to say the least and not even close to Kings dream.

Good find I will gladly watch this video.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
No politician could ever be the fulfillment of Martin Luther King, and still be a politician. Like West says, King died for the rights of workers, he died for the lives of men, women, and children in Vietnam, and yes, he died because equality in America had not gone far enough.

A politician must support the funded interests. A politician must support the bloodshed of his nation, and a politician must keep the status quo of a divided nation.

Otherwise, there is just no need to have a politician in the first place. Like clergy, the politicians need to create their own job security.
edit on 17-1-2011 by TheWalkingFox because: Orson Welles reading War of the Worlds? Whaaaat?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Some people, even politicians are MUCH MORE comparable to MLK than Obama

Please watch this video in it's entirety, but jump to 3:45 and finish the video

Watch the entire video please
i'm not saying Ron Paul is comparable
Just saying there are politicians more comparable than Obama

I mentioned this before but there are people at my work with a printed paper on their cubicle wall with Obama and MLK, many people too
edit on 17-1-2011 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I'm really, really not getting how Ron Paul - of all the politicians in America, Ron Paul? - is closer to King's legacy than obama.

Sanders? Sure. Kucinich? Hell yeah. Ron Paul? No. The only thing Paul and King would agree on is that war is to be avoided; even then it would be for different reasons.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
The part where a pro-war... ehem.. excuse me, a pro-pre-emptive-war leader with many executive orders should not be compared to MLK

And who compared him to MLK? Who said that Obama is just like MLK?

Being compared to MLK and being the fulfillment of MLK's dream are two different things, and while Obama represents an indication that MLK's dream is being fulfilled and Obama has some of the same ideals as MLK, he is not THE fulfillment of MLK's dream and he is not 100% the same as MLK.

It's not that nobody can be compared in full with MLK

Being compared to MLK is not even the subject. Being the fulfillment of MLK's dream is the subject. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I agree with Fox that Kucinich is much closer then Ron Paul.

join