It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit might be forced to close HALF their schools

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Another resounding success of a Dept. of Edu copycat system.

Nevada isn't doing much better, but the fact is the more we provide through the state system the more we have to pay for it.

We're broke, so I'm expecting school shutdowns to start being talked about soon.

I started talking about the debt bomb years ago, the fuse is finally getting short enough to make people sweat so I'm not the crazy guy raving in the corner about debt anymore..

Now I'm proposing we stop feeding the beast. Our kids are dumber and the schools are closing anyway. You don't need a Weatherman to tell you which way the wind is blowing. Detroit is Americas dirty little secret. The 3rd world country created by 5 decades of corruption.

Michigan overall is a screwed little place wracked with debt, poor investment choices, and huge self serving bureaucracies that have sapped all the competitiveness and innovation out of the state... Education has had to endure some draconian level cuts to maintain the status quo for the states ruling class(Unions and Government officials), but at the end of the day we're talking about the same government that thinks bulldozing homes is the best way to help stabilize home prices.

Michigan is the WORST CASE SCENARIO. What's even more worrying is that it has much further to go. I'm not sure Michigan will be there much longer.

There may not be schools left in Michigan if the status quo is continued.
edit on 17-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

replace Michigan with Illinois and you could be speaking of us. Everything is out of control in Illinois.. and the just raised our taxes 66%. The money wont be used for anything sensible.. you can bet on it. We just laid off 13 deputies in my county. We were already 202 citizens to every single cop.. and I live in the 618...
Im going to need to install machine guns on my roof and concertina wire on my property line before this is over.

We arent from Il originally and got transfered here. You cant imagine how shocked we were when we realized the normal people rule the day here and the criminals rule the night. You cant even go to the grovery store or gas station for milk after dark.. and I live in a VERY nice neighborhood and own a historic home. The lawless have taken over with the blessing and funding of the politicians here in Illinois. Criminal or politician..... same thing here.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Its truly the people of Michigan’s fault. They voted in people who promised them hand outs. They voted to raise taxes on companies, now the companies leave. So they raise taxes on the richer people to pay for the hand outs. The rich people left.

Everything was great until they ran out of other people’s money. This is the things that will come to be in America if we keep voting in people who promise entitlements.

Obama care anyone?????

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
Hey, I have an idea, throw other people's money at the problem. Time to redistribute that money from the states that have kept their heads above water. How dare they have conservative values and principles? They should all be the same! /s

What is the highest cost to the public schools? If you said the upkeep or the property, you would be wrong. It would be the teacher's PENSIONS.

Time for Michigan to file bankruptcy and start over. Maybe if they only spend what they bring in, this would solve the problem. Also, placing any government worker into a pension system that puts the public taxpayer as the debtor, should be outlawed.

Public unions should be outlawed. A flat across the board sales tax and nothing more. No income taxes, no property taxes, no other taxes. Time to go back to what worked. Constitutional government and NOTHING more.
edit on 17-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

I disagree with almost every post you make and most of even this post but... I agree the fair tax or flat tax is the only way to start to turn things around. Tax people on what they spend, not what they make. And, unions are the devil.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

And it's illegal to protect yourself from criminals in Illinois:

But here are some interesting facts from Illinois' debt clock:

18% of population on food stamps

$11 thousand per citizen in debt share

Some of the worst crime rates in the entire Nation

Indeed, like Michigan, California, New York, and Connecticut, it won't be long 'till they're at the feet of the Feds begging for a way out that isn't there.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 17-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Its truly the people of Michigan’s fault. They voted in people who promised them hand outs. They voted to raise taxes on companies, now the companies leave. So they raise taxes on the richer people to pay for the hand outs. The rich people left.

Everything was great until they ran out of other people’s money. This is the things that will come to be in America if we keep voting in people who promise entitlements.

Obama care anyone?????

Ouch. I'm sorry, but that hurt.

Actually (this will contradict my earlier post, but will also make a point), the people of Michigan are slowly waking up.

One day, they will have no hope, the next day, they'll be like, "We gotta fix this"...

Which is better than the absolutely no hope vibe going around ten years ago.

Wether you choose to see it or not, Detroit is doing better than 10 years ago. Many communities that were dead zones 10 years ago are starting to look more like the suburbs. A lot of people are moving out of Detroit which is probably why they are closing schools...

The old jobs are going away, but new strange ones are popping up.

For example...Almost everyone I talk to anymore is getting some kind of temp job in the film industry. They've been making all kinds of movies around here. The entertainment business is on the rise out here, and with it will come all kinds of new opportunities. We're trying.

3 years ago, the entire state closed down for like a week, maybe longer...It feels much better now than in those days, I promise.

Have faith, people. Please.

Detroit is far from dying....And the rest of Michigan is absolutely splendid. The economy was a lot worse a year ago than it is now.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm in South West Micnigan myself and say what you will things are pretty good over here. Our company is building like crazy and hiring every week. The local schools passed 38 mill $ for a new school and another wanted 99mill$ but after talking to the itizens increased it to 105mill$ for schools. The only schools and citys that are having problems seem to be ran by and for blacks. Take that as you will it's just a fact.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

Exactly!!!!!!! The downfall of Detroit had little to do with "liberal policies" and everything to do with the failure of the auto manufactures.

Now that all the lifelong auto workers are out of work, they need to move on and find something else to do. Problem is when you were making 60,000 a year doing the only thing you know how to do, where do you go?
edit on 19-1-2011 by searching4truth because: add second part

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join