It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Just to throw something else into the mix;
ELENIN(E) could equal Extinction Level Event NINE (9).
Does anybody out there know how many extinction level events there have been throughout history ?, I know the dinosaurs being wiped out was one, but has there been eight previous ELE's ?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Do you know what the comet is made up of ? If its a watery celestial body with a small core, I'm sure when we pass through the debris field, it may just be a nice visual.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

Wikipedia

5 Major ELE that are known

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
I must go and watch Deep Impact again!

edit on 18/1/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

After you watch it, you may find this interesting
www.badastronomy.com...
The Astronomy of Deep Impact

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Well I have to say Pauligirl, why do they bother trying to debunk a film. It is a film not a documentary so really who cares if there are a few inaccuracies? I am sure that every single film ever made has many glaring inaccuracies and impossibilities in it, so they are basically just patting themselves on the back while no one else watches or cares!

On the other hand Elenin is REAL

Not a film, not something to be debunked and whilst the orbit might be inaccurate at present since it has not been computed with enough information (and yes that struck me in the film that they could NOT compute the orbit so quickly) I am sure those inaccuracies will be ironed out and we will know what is in store.

Also in real life, unlike the film, no one could keep a lid on this even for two days, but then as I have said life is not like films and equally films are not like life.

It was in interesting take however so thanks for the link.

Edit: Just a note to add-- The author of the 'debunk' talks about inaccuracies in the film yet says "Comets are made up of frozen gasses, and warm sunlight can vaporize the gas." - really? So far that composition has been disproved by every single fly by. Who is inaccurate now I wonder?

edit on 18/1/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

It was named for the amateur astronomer who discovered it, Leonid Elenin, there's no conspiracy there.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
And with all this thread on Deep Impact movie, do not forget that the president was a black man...as Barack Obama.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

I believe you missed the point. No one said it was a conspiracy.

The point being made was that it was a coincidence. I assume from your handle that you are an astronomer or someone who hunts things in the new general catalogue. Please don't make the mistake of the 'astronomer' who attempted to debunk 'Deep Impact'. Coincidences are just that, but they are interesting. They are not conspiracies.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Kind of wonderig. The makers of this film must have really done their homework. Can't find any critique on this one. Leads me to believe this one might be fairly accurate.

chiwawa

And with all this thread on Deep Impact movie, do not forget that the president was a black man...as Barack Obama.

Oh my God that's right . Holy crap!

Just kiddin yall.

edit on 18-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Another thing to throw in the "coincidence" hat:

November meteor showers are called the Leonids - will fall on Nov 17 this year (2011)
stardate.org...

"Meteor showers are named by the constellation from which meteors appear to fall, a spot in the sky astronomers call the radiant. For instance, the radiant for the Leonid meteor shower is located in the constellation Leo."

Lots more about the Leonid meteor shower (not associated with the Elenin comet)
en.wikipedia.org...

And, meaning of the name Leonid - Lion, Brave, Hardy

Leonid is used chiefly in the Russian and German languages, and its origin is Germanic and Old Greek. Old Greek origin, German and Russian use: From the elements 'leon' meaning lion ; 'ides'. The name is from Leonidas (Old Greek), a Spartan form of Leonides (Old Greek). The name Leonides was borne by the king of Sparta who died defending the pass at Thermopylae from the Persians in 480 BC. His name was derived from Leon, his grandfather's name. The name was also borne by two early saints.

In addition, Leonid is a variant of the name Leonard (English) in the Russian language.

www.babynamespedia.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

The astronomer that discovered this comet posts on a yahoo group I keep an eye on, might be worth seeing what this group start chattering about when the certainty of orbit becomes better understood. Here is the address of the Yahoo group tech.groups.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ns9504
In addition, Leonid is a variant of the name Leonard (English) in the Russian language.

Right, the amateur astronomer who discovered this comet and who it was thus named for is indeed a Russian amateur. In fact, I believe it's the first Russian discovery of a comet in 20 years. Here are various posts about the comet from the discoverer's blog site:
spaceobs.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by coffeesniffer

Many thanks for that.

Good link to keep an eye on for sure.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by coffeesniffer

The astronomer that discovered this comet posts on a yahoo group I keep an eye on, might be worth seeing what this group start chattering about when the certainty of orbit becomes better understood. Here is the address of the Yahoo group tech.groups.yahoo.com...

Bound to be some meat on that bone.
Superb Gallant!

Thank you for sharing coffee.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Great and very scary find. We will come so close to this object oh man. S&F!
Has anyone noticed that the closest we will get to this object will be on October, 19, 2011 and it seems that Earth, Elenin, and Mars will be aligned, almost seems like a well plotted maneuver. I'm beginning to wonder if there will be trick-or-treating this year.

This is truly a scary moment waiting for it to hopefully change its trajectory somewhere before it strikes.
What a day for hype, I read on yahoo about a predicted "superstorm" that hits California about every 100-200 years. We are currently about 160 years into that time frame.
California Superstorm

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

What is TU24 by the way?

If AN10 was a reference to 10 years then.
Tu24 could be a reference to AL37 passing on January 24th?
I'm still in in Oracle mode ATM.
Debbie had an R7 where I had a B7 and there was an R5 over my door screaming N9.

Seriously though the synchronicity is way too good to waste and I agree the movie Deep impact may turn out to be an astral guide.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
This is an interesting thread and I would say it ties into the blue star of the Hopi. Perhaps the great flood of the past was caused by Earth travelling through the tail of a comet. Also, it makes me wonder if the recent x37b flights did any recon on this comet, even though it's officially just recently been discovered.

My plan for this year is to enjoy life more and to treat each day like a treasure. About all we really have control over are our thoughts and actions.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

The data you posted suggested that the comet will miss us, nothing tomget excited about, I doubt it's very big anyway

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

im sorry were you planning on living for ever?? Sorry buddy intergalactic comets are the least of your problems at the moment. there are people in power poisoning you food and water intentionally or unintentionally. the weather is messed all to hell. geo political instability world wide in conjunction with world recession is increasing crime world wide. new mutations in viruses and diseases killing people more and more everyday. pollution and toxic waste causing cancers and other genetic disorders...... should i continue?

dont worry about what may or may not kill us in 10 months worry about what might kill you next week.

edit on 18-1-2011 by tim3lord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd

Great and very scary find. We will come so close to this object oh man. S&F!
Has anyone noticed that the closest we will get to this object will be on October, 19, 2011 and it seems that Earth, Elenin, and Mars will be aligned, almost seems like a well plotted maneuver. I'm beginning to wonder if there will be trick-or-treating this year.

This is truly a scary moment waiting for it to hopefully change its trajectory somewhere before it strikes.
What a day for hype, I read on yahoo about a predicted "superstorm" that hits California about every 100-200 years. We are currently about 160 years into that time frame.
California Superstorm

What's really aggravating is having to wait almost an entire year to find out! Now that you have thrown out the date of October 2011 date it's freaking me out just a little bit.. A quick ATS search of October 28 2011 will turn up many, many threads on this date being the real Mayan end date. I don't know what to believe anymore. I will just wait for more facts and keep on stocking up on my supplies!!
I'm planning on getting married 11-11-11, maybe I should move the date up..

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join