It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Wouldn't the stuck asteroids been in motion before getting stuck?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Late night Puterman? Being a bit of a stinker there. I did acknowledge the reasoning given for the angles in the simulator already.

My sincere apologies. That was not meant in any way to be a dig at you and I regret that you took it to be so. It was an attempt at humour, hence the
characters. Maybe a British sense of humour is a fail on ATS? Anyway as I say absolutely no offence was intended.

Note to self: Do not try to be funny - you are not!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I second that!

Not only do I find it interesting that this is considered a possibility, but I also have not got a clue how it could happen.

As you rightly say, asteriods would have also been in motion (presumably) before getting stuck in the Lagrange point. If asteroids can get stuck why not satellites and comets?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

No problem, just not used to you using so many smiley faces, and I don't want anyone to think I consider the aliens in the comet tail tale!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

The most likely scenario is that asteroids at the Lagrange points started out there when the solar system was forming. That's why asteroids at those points are so interesting. They're most likely very old.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I guess this is getting a bit off topic, but looking up Lagrange points, it looks as though we use these points to park satellites in a mostly stable orbit around the sun.

map.gsfc.nasa.gov...

All except point L5. This point is on the opposite side of the sun from earth at all times. Rumors of Planet X sitting at that point are mentioned! Ooooh, brought it back on topic! Well sorta.
enjoy.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'd laugh my rear off if NASA blew up that asteroid stuck in the lagrange point......and then all of the sudden Earth quit tilting and there were no more seasons on Earth....big permanent ice age.

That would be soooooo hilarious! Blow it up NASA!

....idiots.....Why is it that Americans have to BLOW EVERYTHING UP?

If there's a stupid rock in the lagrange point doing nothing...leave it the heck alone!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

map.gsfc.nasa.gov...

All except point L5. This point is on the opposite side of the sun from earth at all times. Rumors of Planet X sitting at that point are mentioned! Ooooh, brought it back on topic! Well sorta.
enjoy.
Point L3 is the one opposite us, on the other side of the sun. Of course, the STEREO spacecraft would have seen anything if there was a planet there.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

You're right L3. Typo. Yeah, you're right about Stereo too, but funny that the nasa page mentioned the rumor. But, wouldn't STEREO B show asteroids caught in point 3? Maybe they are too small, just speculating here. ETA: the field of vision of Stereo b does not seem to show the area of L3 does it? That area would be the earth's distance from the sun, right?
edit on 1-7-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Mm, I have not had time to look these up yet, but what you are saying is that anything there would be possibly 4.5 billion years old or maybe a little younger? To actually land something on one of those and take a sample could answer many questions. Is that possible? How far out are these points?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

You're right L3. Typo. Yeah, you're right about Stereo too, but funny that the nasa page mentioned the rumor. But, wouldn't STEREO B show asteroids caught in point 3? Maybe they are too small, just speculating here. ETA: the field of vision of Stereo b does not seem to show the area of L3 does it? That area would be the earth's distance from the sun, right?
edit on 1-7-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

The STEREO craft don't cover the L3 point now, but remember that they started from Earth, and are making their way along the path of Earth's orbit (one ahead of us and one behind). So the L3 point would have been in their field of view earlier, and they'll be passing near the L3 point some time in the future.

I think any asteroids in the L3 point would be too far away for the STEREO craft to have spotted them when the L3 point was in their field of view. They might try to spot them when the craft are closer, just like they did with the L4 and L5 points.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Mm, I have not had time to look these up yet, but what you are saying is that anything there would be possibly 4.5 billion years old or maybe a little younger? To actually land something on one of those and take a sample could answer many questions. Is that possible? How far out are these points?
Yup, they would be around the same age as the Earth. The L4 and L5 points are about the same distance from the Earth as the sun is.

And yes, taking humans to such an asteroid is one of the proposed uses for NASA's Multi--Purpose Crew Vehicle.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

A body there could not be hidden from the STEREO spacecrafts, at L4 and L5.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Well my thinking is that both stereos which are at or near L4 and L5 do not have that wide a field of vision. Otherwise wouldn't we be seeing earth in their view if we could see L3? Anyway, NAtaylor makes a good point that we would have had a view of L3 when both stereos were moving out into their current positions. That solves this for me.

Now just waiting for more Elenin induced earthquakes. Saturn is next on the possible shake-up list.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

They can open up to over 30 million miles and more, the entire orbit of Mercury. I read that on the site. Might be closer to 40 million miles.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Good to know. So at their current positions they can't open all the way up to earth's orbit and L3 position. But they can open up pretty far none the less.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I think it is safe to say that those that thought the theory of ELENIN being the size of a planet
would be wrong.
since it would be here by october,. It would be easily visible by any back yard scope,. in planet size
For example: I could see Jupiter and its 4 moons,. this last winter,.
But Elenin,.. not so much

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Revelation 12 = Astronomy Event
Elenin (red dragon) will be seen in the constellation Virgo (September, the Virgin; giving birth)

v1. And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman (VIRGO) clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars

v3. And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon (ELENIN), having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads (measurements/coordinates?).

v14. And to the woman (VIRGO) were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent (drops below the horizon; into the wilderness).

v15. And the serpent (ELENIN) cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman (VIRGO), that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood (the tail of Comet Elenin? appearing in a position in the sky that makes it look like the tail is a "flood" pouring onto the earth where Virgo dropped below the horizon.)

It may or may not have a physical effect on Earth. I suspect it won't and Rev.12 is just an explanation/description of this astonomical event.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
I think it is safe to say that those that thought the theory of ELENIN being the size of a planet
would be wrong.
since it would be here by october,. It would be easily visible by any back yard scope,. in planet size

Just to clarify for those who might interpret your statement in a wrong way..

your statement..

and its 4 moons

may sound like Jupiter has only 4 moons
m
i think you are referring to its 4 moons which are visible with your telescope

Jupiter has 64 confirmed moons,

Moons of Jupiter
edit on 3-7-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
would be wrong.

Just to clarify for those who might interpret your statement in a wrong way..

your statement..

and its 4 moons

may sound like Jupiter has only 4 moons
m
i think you are referring to its 4 moons which are visible with your telescope

Jupiter has 64 confirmed moons,

Moons of Jupiter
edit on 3-7-2011 by heineken because: (no reason given)
Yes you would be correct,.
Nice catch

edit on 3-7-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join