It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 54
<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NyxOne

Weird coincidence though, agree?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NyxOne

Spaceorbs.com is 0wned by NASA.....

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by spydrbyte25
reply to post by NyxOne

Spaceorbs.com is 0wned by NASA.....

Um, no, it isn't.

Elenin himself owns and runs it.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NyxOne

then NASA owns Elenin!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Didn't see this anywhere but apparently Russia is concerned. Not a whole lot of evidence here, but whatever.

www.eutimes.net...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Artorius

The moon is not small. This will help to put things in perspective, try to take note of the sizes of creators on the dead solid moon. (I put this together for another thread.

Now just how far away the moon is from us.

Really now, how could this speck of a pixel effect us, even if it came this close, or hit the big cold solid dead moon? An even colder comet could not possibly penetrate any magma in the moon, if in fact there still is any.

Comets are very small comparatively by definition, less than 50 kilometers in diameter, generally about 5.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Artorius

Lets get a couple of things straight, comparatively, and by the numbers.

I stated some particulars of Elenin (that are speculative at least, speed, angle of [hypothetical impact], and its speculated density, and what part of earth it hit, [bedrock land]), would have an impact about 10,000 Hiroshima bombs, (without the nuclear fallout). The Tsar Bomba, set off above land in the remote north Russian island, Novaya Zemlya, had a yield of nearly 4,000 Hiroshima bombs. Went off with little to no earthly effects, didn't create a 'nuclear winter' in fact it was the cleanest hydrogen bomb ever detonated according to fallout/yield ratio.

We get wild speculations by even the greatest minds on earth about speculative disasters and the effects they might have, even Carl Sagan said during Gulf War One, that if all of Kuwait's wells were set ablaze it would create airborne debris greater than Mt. Saint Helen's cloud and block the sun to prevent a summer in the northern hemisphere, it didn't. Other historical impacts on earth's history are speculated as to the size of the impactor as well, ie. the dinosaur extinction caused by a 10 km meteor (different than a comet), brings fear to speculators where it really could have been 100 km, we don't know and can't tell definitively.

Now you linked an 'Answers.com' site of the moon's mass compared to earth's as taking 49 moons to equil one earth, well here's another Answer's.com link that says it would take over 81 moons to equal one earth mass, (yet we know the moon has 1/6th the gravity of earth, that later).

The Moon has a mass of 7.347 7 × 1022 kg
The Earth has a mass of 5.9736 × 1024 kg
Moon mass/Earth Mass = ratio
7.3477 / 597.36 = 0.0123
ie. the Moon has a mass equal to 0.0123 Earth's.
Conversly, the Earth mass is equal to that of 81.299 Moons.
Read more: wiki.answers.com...

The gravity of the moon is a direct correlation to its mass, roughly 1/6th, or 0.166667 of Earth.
wiki.answers.com...

What does this mean? How can the moon that is over 81 times smaller than the earth have 1/6th its mass? I'm not a physicist to explain that, but that is not my point, my point is that Answer's.com is not a source to site, its more complicated than one simple mass explanation twisting numbers. The raw mass numbers I quote are sited as fact, (one they got correct) found on any site specific to mass by volume, that's a given mathematical fact.

Bottom line, two and a half Tsar Bomba's going off on the moon or earth would not be an extinction level event, far far far from it, and if one went off on the moon, zero effect to earth. Good enough for you?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
So, from all the info i read it appears that the comet will pass close at .23336 or .23338 Au. Others say something like .14 Au still to far away. Now since the moon is about .0002 something and the comet is about the size of 4km or 2 miles in dia about. I really do not think we will have nothing to worry about, except for all the satilites out there. A big huge maybe it might effect the sats. So we really have nothing to worry about this rock at all. All the hype out there about this thing colliding with earth. Hell, it won't even come close to the moon. So what about said object the size of jupiter heading this way in the article about elinin the observer. In the european union times called it the tyche 2012 arrival. Now this one we will definately have a problem with, MOST DEFINATELY, even if it does not impact us. Now what are the stats on that one? That is the one people need to keep an eye on. Watch out for the tyche 2012 arrival, said fact in the european union times supposedly.
edit on 23-4-2011 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
If a celestial object the size of Jupiter is inside the Heliopause it would have been detected, that is approximately 100 AU out there, Voyager I is about 94 AU away, it is 722-kilograms (1,592-lb), and we can still detect it, smaller than a 1977 Volkswagen Beetle. Does that help any?

The real question is, why did they launch Voyager II before Voyager I and Voyager II is only 80% as far away as Voyager I?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
So, from all the info i read it appears that the comet will pass close at .23336 or .23338 Au. Others say something like .14 Au still to far away. Now since the moon is about .0002 something and the comet is about the size of 4km or 2 miles in dia about. I really do not think we will have nothing to worry about, except for all the satilites out there. A big huge maybe it might effect the sats. So we really have nothing to worry about this rock at all. All the hype out there about this thing colliding with earth. Hell, it won't even come close to the moon. So what about said object the size of jupiter heading this way in the article about elinin the observer. In the european union times called it the tyche 2012 arrival. Now this one we will definately have a problem with, MOST DEFINATELY, even if it does not impact us. Now what are the stats on that one? That is the one people need to keep an eye on. Watch out for the tyche 2012 arrival, said fact in the european union times supposedly.

Now why would they say such a thing and why cannot we see it yet? This object would definately put a damper on things.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Even at that closest estimate (in error) of 0.14 AU, that is over 13 million miles away, earth can get as close to Venus as 38 million miles away, yet we keep chugging along our merry way.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Now why would they say such a thing and why cannot we see it yet? This object would definately put a damper on things.

Because it's a dim, barely noticeable comet with a magnitude of 15.

Tyche will not 'arrive' in 2012. It's a goddamn hypothesis.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

No the real question is "if Voyager was dark and had not been launched by NASA, in other words we did not know where it was, would it still have been detected?"

I believe the answer to that is no, not a cat in hells chance. If we can't detect a 10m lump of rock even when it is right on top of us (Indonesia 2010) why assume that we could detect a 3m lump at 94 AU?

We only detect it because we know where it is.

Edit to add:

Here is a perfect example. Spaceweather.com Apr 15

Newly-discovered asteroid 2011 GP59 is flying past Earth today, April 15th, not far beyond the orbit of the Moon (1.4 LD). There's no danger of a collision, but the 50-meter space rock is remarkable:

Emphasis by me.

First obs: Apr 08

And we would spot a 3 metre lump at the distance of Voyager? As I said, not a cat in hells chance.

edit on 24/4/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

The answer to why would they say such thinks lies in the title of the web site

"the european union times"

Anything written on that electronic waste of space has to be suspect.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Bottom line, two and a half Tsar Bomba's going off on the moon or earth would not be an extinction level event, far far far from it, and if one went off on the moon, zero effect to earth. Good enough for you?

The Tsar Bomba was an air burst which slightly different, but leaving that minor point aside 2.5 x Tsar Bomba is nothing as you say.

Tsar Bomba was 50 Megatons. The total energy release since the 9.0 in Japan is approaching the equivalent of 500 Megatons - ten times as large. Just the one single quake was 476 megatons.

Sort of make the wee Russian bomb look a bit pathetic by comparison to Mother Nature!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

That is the equivalent of a 4 km comet strike. I just didn't pull that out of a hat. Things are way over exaggerated.

You are also aware that atomic, in this case hydrogen blasts have a greater effect detonated above ground than after they land, right?
edit on 24-4-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Elenin passed through the Oort Cloud correct? Can imagine that whatever Comet Elenin has encountered through it's route thus far will effect it's route depending on what it has encountered and will encounter as it gets closest to Earth!

Hoping that on it's journey it will encounter objects that will move it further away from Earth.

Would it be possible if Comet Elenin, going through the Oort Cloud and all, be dragging rocks of all sizes? With Comet Elenin's orbit diagram below it shows that Earth is going to go right through this comet's tail and so would assume that Earth will be dragged through this "debris"?

Elenin JPL Orbit Diagram

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by spydrbyte25
Elenin passed through the Oort Cloud correct? Can imagine that whatever Comet Elenin has encountered through it's route thus far will effect it's route depending on what it has encountered and will encounter as it gets closest to Earth!

Hoping that on it's journey it will encounter objects that will move it further away from Earth.

Would it be possible if Comet Elenin, going through the Oort Cloud and all, be dragging rocks of all sizes? With Comet Elenin's orbit diagram below it shows that Earth is going to go right through this comet's tail and so would assume that Earth will be dragged through this "debris"?

Elenin JPL Orbit Diagram

...No.

When did comets a mere two miles wide drag objects with them? Plenty of comets have been assumed to originate from the Oort cloud.

And it's already through the asteroid belt with no deviation in its path. Oops.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by spydrbyte25

If you look at that JPL graphic, you will notice that the earth's orbital path is entirely white. That means the graphic is set up to earth's equatorial orbital plane. You will then notice the other planet orbits paths turn white and gray, and the comets path is two different blue colors, this indicates the bodies are below and above the earth's orbital plane, and you can clearly see the comet's path is far above earth's orbital plane at its closest approaches to earth's orbit. In fact when it crosses earth's orbital plane earth is nowhere near its path.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
i dont think that the comet will case any danger to earth. it really poses no threat at all.
the comet has been blamed for starting storms on saturn, and melting ice on mars(not sure how that one works). i think the only thing that might happen is a polar shift. but even a polar shift is a long shot.

as far as im concerned, this comet is just ganna be a light show.

top topics

<< 51  52  53    55  56  57 >>

join