It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by UKTruth

Not very huge at all actually. The nucleus of the comet cannot be seen but the coma can.

This cloud, called the coma, is the atmosphere of the comet and can extend for millions of miles. The cloud is very thin, however, 10,000 times thinner than a cloud in the Earth's atmosphere!

www.windows2universe.org...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by guessing

from where i sit it is sooo white that you need sunglasses to actually look at it at 4 am

that is white....

so where is this god dam nibiru thingy,, hmmmm... hmmmm

coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu...

It can reach magnitudes of -4.7, which is much brighter than the next planet, Jupiter. This is because of its dense atmosphere, which reflect about 65% of the light hitting them.

www.heavens-above.com...

Nibiru

Lol

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by UKTruth

Not very huge at all actually. The nucleus of the comet cannot be seen but the coma can.

This cloud, called the coma, is the atmosphere of the comet and can extend for millions of miles. The cloud is very thin, however, 10,000 times thinner than a cloud in the Earth's atmosphere!

So in this case if the Coma? dia or the visible is 5300 km then how does one calculate the actual comet diameter?

I am sensing that no one really actually knows the true size of Elenin.
edit on 24-3-2011 by guessing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by guessing

By sending a probe to take pictures of it.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

is it really impossible to see something 3 miles wide at the distance where Elenin is supposed to be ?

5000 km diameter? Earth is 12,756 km diameter...

if it is this large then when we pass through the tail, presumably in Oct?

But hang on , if it was 5000 odd Km dia , we should easily be able to see it in the night sky?

I just want the truth............... Please, for $%#@$% Sake

To give you a point of reference, Neptune has an angular size of ~2.2 arc seconds. Given the current location of Elenin, then it should be easily visibly with an amateur telescope if it was ~5000km in diameter.

Someone correct me, if they think I am wrong on this

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I can only assume that there is no immediate plans to do so.

If this really is the only way , then all speculation aside, one must show patience and wait until it gets even closer still.

But... in saying this , can the 5300 km diamter be ruled out?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

reply to post by UKTruth

Yes agreed.

It has been known for a coma to extend over a billion km. What I am not sure about are the range of widths of a coma, but given the angle to earth that Elenin is approaching we should be seeing a portion of the coma. Therefore, the calculated width of 5300km based on observation would probably make Elenin's nucleus very small

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

let me just ask this question, if it was anywhere near the size of earth we would know by now right??

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

reply to post by UKTruth

So in this case if the Coma? dia or the visible is 5300 km then how does one calculate the actual comet diameter?

I am sensing that no one really actually knows the true size of Elenin.

Greetings:

You are correct.

No one, including Phage, actually knows the true size of Elenin.

However, it looks as you might be up for a good game. I'm posting here to attempt to interest fine folk like yourself in a project that might turn out to be beneficial to all...

How about assisting in this project which will correlate earthquake lights, strange sounds and rumblings, strange smells(?) - before, during, after - and earthquakes. The information collected could possibly lead to some sort of earthquake prediction system here within ATS if the data can be analyzed for some sort of predictive pattern. (Phage, are you out there?) The idea is to collect the correct data from the start - and as soon as possible IMHO.

I, personally, would welcome any advice/help/suggestions/interested parties to make this idea better and a reality sooner.

It might be interesting to see if any of these sounds have "Earthquake Lights" associated with them before/during/after the sounds and an earthquake? Or were there sounds/lights and the EQ hasn't happened as yet - we really do not have enough data to make an informed decision as to the amount of time between events...?

Please help to spread the word to as many people as possible to quickly build the database as this information and map may prove to be quite timely - especially to people in the Yellowstone/New Madrid/West Coast/Alaska areas.

Earthquake Lights Map Live Update

Thank you for your time and consideration.

These challenges to life and sanity on this planet must be met with clear minds and sound hearts, so may your 2011 see you embracing its highest potential and onward through the fog!

In Peace & Light

tfw

American Red Cross

Dodged a Solar Bullet

Will America's Nuclear Power Plants Fail in an 8.0 Earthquake?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Artorius

Yes, easily. At its current distance, if it was the size of Earth, it would be bigger and brighter than Mars.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
reply to post by Artorius

Yes, easily. At its current distance, if it was the size of Earth, it would be bigger and brighter than Mars.

but remember..that since we know nearly to nothing about this comet..the cloud surrounding tit might be preventing sun light to be reflected right..since mars and other planets glow because of reflecting sun light...so we cant really estimate the size of it depending on how much light it is reflecting

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
but remember..that since we know nearly to nothing about this comet..the cloud surrounding tit might be preventing sun light to be reflected right..since mars and other planets glow because of reflecting sun light...so we cant really estimate the size of it depending on how much light it is reflecting
Sunlight reflects off dust as well. That's why we can see comet tails in the first place. However, being they are so diffuse, they reflect much less light than a solid object. Hence, since Elenin is so dim, we know that the nucleus is very small and all we're seeing is light reflecting off the dust in the coma.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Sorry. I am new here and I didn't read through all the Elenin threads yet, but I was just wondering, what does NASA say about Elenin? Did they confirm Comet Elenin exists? Are they denying it?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Elenin's orbital elements have once again been updated at the JPL Small-Body Database:

Closest approach to Earth: 2011-Oct-16 19:55, +/- 10 minutes
Minimum distance at closest approach to Earth: 34,934,372.5 km
Closest approach to the Sun: 2011-Sep-10 17:13, +/- 7 minutes

For reference, here are the previous updates:

As of Marth 15th:
Closest approach to Earth: 2011-Oct-16 19:52, +/- 19 minutes
Minimum distance at closest approach to Earth: 34,898,790.4 km
Closest approach to the Sun: 2011-Sep-10 17:11, +/- 13 minutes

As of March 10th:
Closest approach to Earth: 2011-Oct-16 20:20, +/- 26 minutes
Minimum distance at closest approach to Earth: 34,827,592.2 km
Closest approach to the Sun: 2011-Sep-10 17:28, +/- 18 minutes

As of March 3rd:
Closest approach to Earth: 2011-Oct-16 21:08, +/- 39 minutes
Minimum distance at closest approach to Earth: 34,699,527.9 km
Closest approach to the Sun: 2011-Sep-10 17:55, +/- 26 minutes

As of February 23rd:
Closest approach to Earth: 2011-Oct-16 21:39, +/- 1 hour and 7 minutes
Minimum distance at closest approach to Earth: 34,833,620 km

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
And another way of putting Elenin's distance in perspective. At its closest point to Earth, it will be nearly as far away (within 17%) as the minimum distance between Venus and Earth.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
And another way of putting Elenin's distance in perspective. At its closest point to Earth, it will be nearly as far away (within 17%) as the minimum distance between Venus and Earth.
well How is it gonna have any effect on earth when it is that far away

wow,.. all your facts are bumming me out,.
Remind me not to invite you to the Elenin party,.
If someone was gonna let the air outta the ballons
It would be you

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
EL Nine. The Ninth Wave!

en.wikipedia.org...

The Ninth Wave (Russian: Девятый вал, literally The Ninth Wave) is perhaps the most impressive and well-known painting by Russian marine painter Ivan Aivazovsky; it was painted in 1850.

Yes, its a Doom painting! They say beautiful, I say Not!

From Kate Bush's ninth wave album:

Kate Bush - Dream Of Sheep / Under Ice / Waking The Witch (in HQ Stereo)

(she was given a mention in the first link!)

www.calleman.com...
the Mayan one is the conscious convergence, cosmically going online with everyone. Who knows if its a corporal or astral moment however. ie. in or out of body!
edit on 25-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Will edit to add a very interesting thread, and I posted this on it.

Deep Impact, Elites Illuminati code words, numerology and Comet Elenin

In 1999, under a black president in the movie, ELE is discovered, and 11 years later in real life, supposedly a coincidence like ever so many interesting ones, E.L.E. nin is discovered in 2010.

Edit to Add:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
The movie "Knowing" predicts Japan Nuclear Disaster (on top of Gulf Oil Spill)

This post on the thread explains the whole idea behind Weird Science And Frickin Magic.

We need to take action.
edit on 27-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
We need to take action.

And what would you suggest we do ,.
in the act of action,.
with so many things falling through the cracks in the ways of
predictions,. This could be nothing,.
How do you propose to prove this event a real threat

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

This whole thread is very good, especially page 3, when a long list of things are added.

But this is the first off the seat of my pants thing I could think of. But perhaps a more mounted attempt, through media, videos, art, music, grass roots and awareness might help.

Way too many coincidences for me.

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join