It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I've just done a little searching on comet Elenin and found an article dated December 24th 2010.

On reading through the article found on Sky&Telescope

What's gotten hearts beating a little faster since the discovery is that Comet Elenin is still more than 4 astronomical units (375 million miles) from the Sun and headed inbound. It's still early, and the calculated orbit is certain to change in the weeks ahead as more position measurements are made, but right now it appears that the comet's perihelion will occur well inside Earth's orbit, about 0.45 a.u. (42 million miles) from the Sun, next September 5th.

And there is also an image of Elenin: Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1) appears as a tiny, faint smudge in this stack of four 300-second exposures taken on December 11, 2010, with the 1.5-m reflector at Maidanak Observatory. The quadrupled stars are due to the comet's motion between exposures.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a8f0d5f81a9.jpg[/atsimg]

This was all back in December 2010 so what you have provided is much more up to date

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
www.suite101.com... nin-observe-a-jewel-of-the-night-skies-septembers-2011-a324612

"During the month of September 2011, the comet should become bright enough to be an easy target for backyard astronomers in North America."

9/11

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
fireballs-meteorites.blogspot.com... ing.html

The first item of note is that, with the update on the orbit of Elenin, which was made on 09 Jan 11, that is 9-1-11 (interesting, no?), it is scheduled to reach perihelion on the 9th of September, that is: 9-9-11. Another interesting numerical combo.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Comet Elenin will pass very close to STEREO-B in July 2011. See the orbit simulation here.
secchi.nrl.navy.mil...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well, it looks like November 2011 is chalking up to be quite an interesting month. The orbit appears to be above the Earth's orbital path, but not by much. If the tailing debris field is substantial, we could quite possibly run into some of it, at 60,000 mph.

Wow.

What if a big piece lands smack-dab in the center of the Yellowstone caldera? Sorry for the jinx, it probably won't happen
I hope. Knock on wood.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
thats some crazy stuff , i wonder if it will actually come any closer , maybe this is planet x?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
Comet Elenin will pass very close to STEREO-B in July 2011. See the orbit simulation here.
secchi.nrl.navy.mil...

Not happy, I don't seem to be able to view it!! Just giving me a white screen

I wanna see!!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
smashing stuff,another hale bopp...whoopee,get the binos out,oops,forgot homeland security will arrest you unless you got a licence

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

it's just a comet

Yes but one that, with a slight trajectory change, could be slamming into us rather than passing by us. It has much to move it's course on the way in so I would not be too hasty to dismiss it just yet!

I am not one for things like Nibiru and prophecies and the like, but this one seems to fit many of the suggestions out there and that interests me immensely.

My dearly beloved says that in a doomsday scenario I would still be out there trying to get my spuds into the clamp while she was knocking back the champagne we have been saving for a special occasion! She is probably right! That is how little attention I normally pay to these things.

Cheers marra - I do hope you are right!

edit on 17/1/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Awesome find Puterman, but how come as soon as anyone finds somthing interesting all the doomsdayers come out and think something really bad is going to happen, sit back and enjoy

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
so only folk in north america will see it then?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by meremortal
so only folk in north america will see it then?

Well it did say in the article i posted at the top of this page that the northern hemisphere will be in a better viewing position

As I'm in the UK I'm very very happy about this!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Ill be watching for this in the skies when it gets near us.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

Don't know about close, it looks on the animation that the orbit will intersect right on top of it. Hope there is a degree of separation.

Have you got Java script on? If you are using IE try using Firefox or Chrome.

edit on 17/1/2011 by PuterMan because: because: brain works faster than fingers

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
now that is scary!

link   
Good find my man, i was always liking astronomy. Although having never done any except that of looking into the heavons and seeing what is up there which is usually stars and a moon ofcourse

It probably won't 'Slam' into us though.

Peace out.

link   

Originally posted by CitizenAlpha
Ok this is kinda out there but the first thing that popped into my mind when i saw this was, Remember that Movie Deep Impact? the Cover up for the story was called ( Ele ) Eleain ??? Extinction level event.
Yes and we happen to have a black president as they did in that movie
edit on 17-1-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by meremortal

No it is going to be visible in the Southern skies before it get to it's closest point from Earth as far as I understand. The Northern hemisphere gets it's best view as it goes away again always assuming that it does if you know what I mean!

Just realised you are in Dublin. You won't have a problem seeing it except that every time there is a chance of an aurora of an eclipse here on the West coast the clouds roll in and it rains. You may have better luck in the East.

edit on 17/1/2011 by PuterMan because: to add content.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Great find Puterman.
Also, if Nostradamus is close to his prediction, I think he mentions something hitting the Aden sea.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lastone
fireballs-meteorites.blogspot.com... ing.html

The first item of note is that, with the update on the orbit of Elenin, which was made on 09 Jan 11, that is 9-1-11 (interesting, no?), it is scheduled to reach perihelion on the 9th of September, that is: 9-9-11. Another interesting numerical combo.

That is a bit hard to ignore as mere coincidence IMO... numerology is an interesting subject, I wonder if someone else can put those dates and numbers into perspective more.

~Namaste

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join