It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+180 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Comet Elenin is coming!

Source: SOTT
www.sott.net...

It is called Elenin since it was discovered by Leonid Elenin. I expect the internet to soon be ringing with rumors and news bytes about this comet. For now, there isn't much to say so I'm sharing what I've received in private from an astronomer at a big observatory that shall remain anonymous for the moment. He says:

1. It is too early to accurately predict the future path - it's orbital parameters haven't been revised.

2. Among the observable hyperbolic and parabolic comets (those that come from the Oort cloud) this one has the smallest perihelion distance and the smallest inclination to the ecliptic plane.

3. Comet Elenin's orbit may be unstable as it may encounter some dark bodies, for example, in the asteroid belt or even some Taurid objects. What would happen in those cases is a matter of luck.

4. This comet may carry a significant amount of material with it and if it follows the currently projected orbit, the Earth may very well pass through this material.

5. If Elenin is anything like what Victor Clube or James McCanney describes, we might be in for some surprises - good or bad, who knows?

When this was first discovered in December last year it was calculated that it would pass 8.8 Au (8.8 times the distance of the Sun form us) away. Now today the orbital calculation is down to 0.24 Au with a minimum as low as 0.15. This is being re-calculated all the time and could get even closer but it depends what it encounters in the Oort belt.

The Moon is 0.00256 Au form us to give you a comparison.

You should be aware the this comet could bring debris with it and we will pass through the debris trail – if it exists – around the 6th November 2011. Could this new long period comet (?) be the origin of the stories of Nibiru?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0275420efcc6.gif[/atsimg]

You can look at all the technical details here: Jet Propulsion Labs small-body database browser. This also has the _javascript animation from which that image was taken.

It is definitely something to be watching out for and I shall try and keep this thread updated with information as the closest approach draws nearer.

edit on 17/1/2011 by PuterMan because: Could not make the link work

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Good job putting this out there Puterman, i certainly hadnt heard of this before and now youve given me something else to watch out for.

With a bit of luck and a few recalculations closer to the time, it might just overshoot us completely.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Sweet I need to add this to my calender of observants. Gracias amigo for the heads up.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Nice find Puterman! I've never heard of this Comet. It will be very interesting to watch for changes in the calculated orbit and to see what results fom passing through the debris trail let behind from this. Will you be keeping this thread up to date with new information? I have starred and flagged for future reference.

Peace,
Koz

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Great find!

My first thought is this could be the 'blue star' that the Hopi's predicted.
The blue katchina? (spelling)

If the comet passes close enough to give Earth viewer a show, and it gives a blueish hue..
This could very well be it!

It's got me thinking thats for sure.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

kudos to you my friend, 0.15au distance from earth is close enough for me...might be a hell of a light show. keep us informed, because by that time alot of us will probably have forgotten all about it.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Heads up for some great info and a date to add on my astronomy calendar.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just found another image that possibly shows it better and shows the debris trail from asteroids that this comet has to pass through on it's way to it's rendezvous with us!

Just thought I would add the image of the orbital intersect point as I like pictures!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/199669e9c9b3.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 17/1/2011 by PuterMan because: To add the big picture

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

What intrigues me is that there are so many of these stories from times past that I tend to think that there must be something in them.

We have heard of these stories and it looks as if at least in some respects we are going to see if they are true! Does the period of this comet happen to be around 3,600 years I wonder?

Now I know that this has only recently been discovered but has it? Is this the reason the elites are getting ready for something?

Sorry, tin hat off now. Yes it is certainly going to be very interesting this year!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Nice find Puterman. I read the link, but I didn't see the comet's total orbital time. It says long-term orbit. Is there any idea the last time this comet approached the sun? Is there a way to compare our recorded and geological history with the last approach of this comet? Would it be apparent on the Mayan or Sumerian calendars?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Well isn't this interesting. Thanks for the find. Star and flag.

Shameless bump.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Great find!

My first thought is this could be the 'blue star' that the Hopi's predicted.
The blue katchina? (spelling)

If the comet passes close enough to give Earth viewer a show, and it gives a blueish hue..
This could very well be it!

It's got me thinking thats for sure.

some think the explosion of comet Holmes back on Oct. 25 2007 was the Blue Star Katsina:

blog.beliefnet.com...

and another more "new-agey" take:

2012rising.com...

and more on the explosion of the comet from a scientific bent:

www.cropcircleconnector.com...

a quote from the 2nd web page (2012rising.com) states:

"Although there seems to be possible confirmation from the Hopi elders regarding their prophecy, we do certainly have confirmation from Mayan elders. It is stated in the interview of Drunvalo Melchizedek that the council of Mayan elders have stated their acceptance of Holmes as the Hopi Blue Star."

now, Melchizedek, to my knowledge, is the only one who has stated that the explosion of Comet Holmes is indeed the Blue Star Katsina- perhaps that has changed, or been repudiated.

regardless, it is all very interesting, as there are many other signs of the Hopi Prophecy that have already come to pass. (as if we didn't already know the -snip- is in the process of hitting the fan.)

PS - the Hopi spell "Kachina" as Katsina. the "CH" is a westernized pronunciation of the word.

edit on 17-1-2011 by mythos because: hurrah for typos

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Is there a way to compare our recorded and geological history with the last approach of this comet? Would it be apparent on the Mayan or Sumerian calendars?

I am afraid my mathematics is not up to that, and when I ran it back on the app on the JPL site it only goes back to 1600AD when it was just over 320 Au from us.

I guess they probably need more data to be able to determine that orbit correctly, hence I said long period (?), but I am pretty sure this is going to be a long period comet and that it is going to be somewhere near the 3,600 years needed to match the ancient stories. There has to be some element of truth behind them.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well, I find it interesting I will certainly be watching this hopefully it will put on a good show for us.
If anyone remembers how brilliant McNaught was in 2007 for those in the southern hemisphere then maybe it will be something similar to that. It had a closest Perihelion of 0.17AU.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Great thread, F&S. Promises to be some good sky watching come November! Keep us informed.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Yes I agree.
Tonite, after work, I will be frantically searching for more info, orbit length and time...etc.
Because this might be the 3,600 years orbit I've been waiting to find.

I will post later, unless the minds here on ATS beat me...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have found an astronomy site, well page on a financial site(!), with some charts of interest. They are the last three items in the list so scroll down. The image below is a sample.

The site

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/967bb4e4d7d4.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 17/1/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Cool find Puterman!

I wonder if astronomers have any idea how big the comet is? Also, I wonder if Earth traveled through the tail of the comet and the tail had substantial amounts of water, what possible implications would that have on global weather? Torrential rainfall? Increased cloudiness? Nothing at all?

S&F

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

That is something that I have been trying to find out. Bearing in mind that fact that the predicted closest point has been narrowing since it was first discovered the size of this object may be of very significant importance to us! I am not saying it is going to hit us but...............

Well perhaps we should just wait and see, but it is going to be close I feel.

and the tail had substantial amounts of water

Or rocks!

edit on 17/1/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Some further reading on the theories of J.M. McCanny referred to in the SOTT article.

The Nature And Origin Of Comets And The Evolution Of Celestial Bodies (Part I) There are six pages following on from this one all crammed full. It is a big read! (43 pages in a word doc)

Dynamics of a small comet

A new concept of Galactic evolution

<<   2  3  4 >>

join