It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we wear clothes?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

"Do you think the New York Times is actually going to publish on the front page a bunch of wealthy naked men, because you imagine it has some great shock value that will now prevent them from being wealthy or naked?"

forget newyork times get me this picture and watch how much money i can put in your hands . Do you know what such a picture would be worth ? You don't seem to grasp the seriousness in being caught in such a act. Because your to busy trying to sugar coat your broken telephone subjective evidence . a.k.a your "friend" . You've wasted my time with your dillusional rant which mostly has nothing to do with the topic but like i said earliar your enjoy trying to cover up your denail of the original point of all of this . Is it that hard to admit you have no source ? thats all you had to say not make up a whole rant about how you think your right , and what you assume you know of my thoughts . its a failed attempt but your just another one who likes to talk the talk but when its comes to walking the walk you keep reaching for your cane . good day sir

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
to keep our junk from accidentally getting slammed in drawers or doors.

I still haven't stopped laughing, thank you, you've made my day!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have the answer you have all been looking for my sons. It is because our penises and breastolas are different sizes and that makes our ahem short statured leaders feel a bit flat out.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It's just the way that our society and culture has evolved.

Most people would feel embarrassed or uncomfortable to be naked in front of strangers; yet that is only down to social conditioning.

If you look at some parts of the world where people still go about au naturel, such as remote parts of Africa, South America and Australasia, then you'll notice that they have no problem with interacting with other people without clothes on.
The men aren't walking around in a state of constant arousal, when constantly seeing the naked women.

In fact, it's probably a much more mature way to go about, rather than the Western obsession with covering up ''naughty bits''.

Having said that, I have no interest in walking about naked, nor allowing people to walk around in public in an unclothed state !

This is a cultural and societal custom that I don't think will ever change. For a start, there are far more interesting and varied ways that you can adorn your body with clothing, as opposed to body art and piercings.

Also, on the issue of clothing, something that peeves me is when people say about some Muslim countries: ''They force their women to cover up'' or ''women aren't allowed to dress as they want''.

Well, we do exactly the same thing in the West, so stop being hypocritical !

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

I think it's so that when the photographs of dead patriots get sent to cnn for phat cash, our shame is covered.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's a conspiracy to make us buy clothes..

kx

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
i think it was probably just a product of us having to wear clothes. if you look at all the tribes peoples still living in huts, they walk around naked still.

but then some of the peoples of the past, walked north, got cold, put on animal skins. after being away from persia for 200-300 years, they 'forgot' that it was ok to walk around naked. to those guys, they wore clothes all day long, so they just got used to being wrapped up.

i work out, im barrel chested, but my belly is WAY annoying. i often joke, i would rather be pantless than shirtless! ha. so i am assuming, everyone back then must have been in decent shape as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I wear clothes to protect my tender parts. Additionally, I wear clothes to comply with societal convention, however I'm not above using nudity as a weapon.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Clothes, at least in part, are about creating social classes and a division of labor. Without clothing one could not tell a bum from a fortune 500 CEO. Walking around outside on a nice day without any clothes on feels better than good. Nudity is cleaner than wearing clothes. The wind and rain will wash clean every nook of your body. Your skin breathes better. I used to go to Black's Beach in San Diego when it was nude. Body surfing nude is heaven. Nice looking women when nude aren't any more sexually arousing than when they wear clothes.

Clothes aren't necessary for survival in the summertime.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i think we all wear clothes to show status and social dominance

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deuteronomy 23:13
Clothes, at least in part, are about creating social classes and a division of labor. Without clothing one could not tell a bum from a fortune 500 CEO. Walking around outside on a nice day without any clothes on feels better than good. Nudity is cleaner than wearing clothes. The wind and rain will wash clean every nook of your body. Your skin breathes better. I used to go to Black's Beach in San Diego when it was nude. Body surfing nude is heaven. Nice looking women when nude aren't any more sexually arousing than when they wear clothes.

Clothes aren't necessary for survival in the summertime.

Awesome, I agree totally. I used to go to Little Beach on Maui alot. Beautiful place.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, I just randomly came across an article on www.unexplained-mysteries.com that answers this question.

Lice DNA Study Shows Humans First Wore Clothes 170,000 Years Ago

"The new result from this lice study is an unexpectedly early date for clothing, much older than the earliest solid archaeological evidence, but it makes sense," said Ian Gilligan, lecturer in the School of Archaeology and Anthropology at The Australian National University. "It means modern humans probably started wearing clothes on a regular basis to keep warm when they were first exposed to Ice Age conditions."

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I often wonder the same thing.
I live in western canada and people are pretty open here compared to most parts of north america.
This past summer I was living on a nude beach on an island surrounded by really great naked people. It's so true about the barrier being down between people. It's a really beautiful thing when everyone can be comfortable naked around other people, and it takes away the sexuality that normal beaches are so prone to as well. (unless you get the occasional creeper coming down, but if that happens usually its best to just round up some of your naked dude friends and give them a little windmill for their cameras. 9 out of 10 times they will run away screaming hahahah)
In my opinion its way easier to get naked than to put clothes on.. By the end of the summer clothes felt weird and constricting.. I'm a total advocate of nakedness all around!!

Interesting facts about nudity:
- It is legal for men AND women to be topless anywhere in Canada, except for Ontario (surprise surprise)
- If you go to natural hot springs in the woods of BC, you WILL see naked people (so prepare yourself)
- In Vermont (my home state) it is completely legal to be naked in public, however it is illegal to disrobe in public

haha I think that's all I've got for now.
cheers to taking off your clothes!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

forget newyork times get me this picture and watch how much money i can put in your hands . Do you know what such a picture would be worth ? You don't seem to grasp the seriousness in being caught in such a act.

Yes I do far less than you imagine it is worth, and far less than anyone who is invited to such functions would require as justification for the loss of revenue they would eventually suffer for having betrayed the trust of a group of people who helps steer a tremendous amount of business and money there way, not once, but year after year, decade after decade.

If if someone wanted to try to create problems for such men, as soon as they realized your motive is profit thus equally as sleazy is certainly going to help them realize your motives are not altruistic or for the betterment of humanity just your own for your own hopeful profit.

In fact famous and powerful people are caught in sex scandals all the time, many are photographed nude on vacation in parts of the world where most people go nude at the beaches.

So in reality the shock and the monetary value you imagine such a picture would yield is simply a product of your imagination.

No disrespect but it would appear to me on each and every level you seem to be engaged on, you have thought none of them through very well.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Clothes are costumes. Costumes are for playing roles. Playing roles keeps you in control.

Nudity is anarchy.

They have many psychological/social tools they use to keep you wearing those clothes, playing those roles, and staying controlled.
edit on 17-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by koots751

You are right, there seems to be alot less sexual energy on nude beaches than normal beaches. Really strange.

Also, my girlfriend and I are trying to figure out what a windmill is? Is it when you make your penis go around in a circle? or is it like a cartwheel?

I had no idea it was legal to be nude in vermont!

Great post.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Several people have said they wear clothes because no one would want to see them naked; however, if you go to a nudist area, you will find mostly out of shape, flabby, in other words, normal people. When everyone else is naked, you don't feel at all strange being naked with them no matter what shape you are in.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

haha yeah i was talking about the shaking it around in a circle..
didn't mean to be too graphic but then again, I guess we are on the subject of nudity..

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

Besides, how could that hot algerbra ever get anything done with all those boners going off around her?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
There's nothing worse than sitting on your junk. Wait.....getting your junk caught in a zipper is pretty bad too. guess I don't know.

When I was younger I had the body to go nude but would have always had a hard-on. I think there's enough guys staring at chicks now. We wouldn't get anything done if all you girls were naked.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join