It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7,000 dead Buffalo and Cattle in Vietnam

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Being on ATS has in the past lead me to come to conclusions that are derived simply from a thirst for a conspiracy, luckily I have ceased this practice in favour of Occam`s razor. So, is it possible that perhaps for some reason, these animal deaths recently are simply being "reported" whereas they may not have been in the past making it look like the sheer number of deaths is out of the ordinary?

I wouldn`t know where to start hunting for statistics of this type of phenomena.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Horrible, these threads are needed, but grim. I have a question slightly off topic, has anyone considered the massive fish die offs in light of the food chain? What fish feed on the fish that died, will we now see massive deaths from starvation of them, or seals, or sea birds? Just asking.

I agree. Maybe some don't realize the chain. So Vietnam loses all these buffalo (different than our American Bison), and cattle, what does that do to their country? I think they use the buffalo to help plow their fields. If a farmer no longer has his buffalo to help plow the fields and cannot harvest, then what happens to the surrounding area that may not get the food they need from his field? I wouldn't doubt that some of these farmers don't have the money to replace the herd they lost. Not sure if they have insurance and how it works in that country.
It's like dominos. One thing falls, if affects the next.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
wow 7000 is a staggering number to be associated with deaths of cattle, unlike birds and fish, this will be damn disastrous for the farmers etc. 700 dying in a day, too crazy :S

Send a prayer out for those affected by this, and hope these mass die offs stop. This is gonna have a knock on affect leading to famine and new lows of poverty in these places.

Its obvious with the little media attention etc regarding all these hit on the ecosystem, governments are way too slow to act..

I watched a few programs that came on TV recently in UK, this fish week, program showed ridiculous waste of certain species of fish all for profits, and due to failing policies.

The conclusion of both these programs was that people need to start voicing out on all these matters, get the public interested through conventional means, spread the word, ultimately its us as consumers,the ignorant sheep we are that fall into these crisis, and we must right our wrongs. And if its beyond our means, with what appears to be a sudden change in climate etc. If you havent found God, i think its about time

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by iamgodtron

well, i know this is off topic, but.. umm... i figure you didn't know.. but "global warming" will cause an ice age. just fyi.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
i was surprised i had to get so far down the line before i found someone questioning the cold weather angle. the FIRST thing i thought was "cold enough to kill cattle?" that'd pretty much be single digits for days. i've seen cows wake up and shuffle off two feet of snow. i'm just finding it hard to believe. and while it's getting coverage in the msm, it just seems like all they're interested in is an occam's razor type of explanation. something to feed the masses and be done with it. it's very, i dunno.. troubling??

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
think its time for backpacking to become the leading trend.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by survival

yep you and ashton kucher know whats up+

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
OK, so I have been hearing about animals dying all over the place but I have two questions. Does anyone really know what is causing it, and can we stop it? I mean everyone on ATS knows Earth could shake us off like a flea so what could we honestly do to stop it. I guess what I'm getting at is we might as well enjoy what life we are allowed to live and do our best to survive what ever she throws at us. That's my plan at least...
edit on 18-1-2011 by CaptSplatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

Just found this on the vitnam Cattle info from 2008 , seems like it was way worse a couple years ago so lets pray for some warmer weather before it gets that bad again ...
However all these new mass animal deaths are not good and i'm really not buying there reasoning for them ...

Cold weather kills 60,000 cattle in Vietnam
(Xinhua)
Updated: 2008-02-18 14:31
Edited cause I noticed it was from 2008

HANOI -- An ongoing record-long spell of cold weather in Vietnam's northern region, which started on January 14, has killed nearly 60,000 cattle, mainly bull and buffalo calves, local press reported Monday.

By February 17, the spell had killed a total of 59,962 cattle in the region, including 7,349 in Ha Giang province, 6,400 in Lao Cai and 5,571 in Bac Can province, Pioneer newspaper quoted Hoang Kim Giao, director of the Animal Husbandry Department under the Vietnamese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, as saying.

The cold weather also killed 104 hectares out of 260,000 hectares of the Winter-Spring crop in the Northern region, mainly in Thanh Hoa province, Nghe An province and Hai Phong

edit on 18-1-2011 by nightangel81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Originally posted by jrmcleod
I'm confused regarding this "cold spell" that is cold enough to kill animals. Ho Chi Min City is ranging between 31oC day time and 20oC night time. This doesnt seem cold to me. Obviously the animals are in rural areas, whether thats north or south or whatever of Ho Chi Min City.

Does anyone know where approximately these animals are dying? (provinces etc?).

Not to mention the exact breeds involved, since different breeds have different tolerance levels...
Perhaps these have low levels of cold tolerance.. or perhaps this is more hype..

The reason for my reply was that i find it highly UNLIKELY that these animals are dying from the cold. Its as lame an excuse as fireworks. I believe the UN know the cause and are trying to keep it all covered. I dont for a second doubt that all these die-offs are connected, its just that the excuses they are using are believable by the masses.

I've never heard of a cow or buffalo dying because the temp has dropped to 20oC. 20oC is actually pretty warm, by UK standards its as warm as our summers get...

Anyways, its interesting to see peoples responses to this, there just seems to be something odd about 7000 animals dying because of the cold that isnt cold...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Sorry, I was agreeing with you, while adding that I think knowing the breeds/species involved we can pinpoint the temps in the area and married it into breed tolerances, disprove the "maybe" brigade and show these incidents as the anomalies they seem to be.

I honestly can not even begin to speculate on the cause.. but find it very very worrying they are not putting any effort into the excuses they are putting forward..

ETA: I live in the Lewes District on the South coast, Englands fireworks capital and never heard of any bird die offs before now.

edit on 18/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Not another die-off!

Cold weather does not sound like a very sound theory, what about the other farm animals IE pigs chickens ect. why are they perfectly fine and JUST the cows are dying? I'm not much of a farmer, but I would think a small weak chicken or a pig would die long before a big cpl hundred lb cow would from cold weather right? Something just smells fishy to me. Plus the fact that every week there seems to be at least 1 die-off now, with a different species every time.

I have no scientific evidence to back this up, just my personal feeling, but I think we must consider the possibility that the BP disaster is having unknown effects on our wildlife. I mean nothing of this magnitude has ever happened in history, who are we to say we have the answers?

It's also possible that these die-offs have been happening all along and we are just noticing them more, or aliens are perfecting their anti-humanity poison so they can kill us all for our cookies

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
since when does vietnam have buffalo?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
sorry i dont buy the cold weather killing these cattle scenario. im currently on holiday in the subtopics and granted the weather here is.... abnormal to say the least for this time of the year.

But there is no way in hell Vietnam can get cold enough to kill that many cattle. for one cold weather alone wouldnt kill the asian buffalo as they are one hardy animal. for another there is no way the subtropics could ever get that cold.

something is up

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Yeah.. I didn't want to speak up for fear of sounding completely foolish, but I didn't think Vietnam ever got that cold?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

I remember having seen the picture of Buffalow roaming the field covered with snow. I don't think the cold weather in Vietnam can kill the Buffalow. There got to be other reasons.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I remember feeding and watering cattle as a youth in NW Minnesota at temperatures of -25F (-32C) and they did fine. They do eat more as they burn more calories to stay warm though.

How closely did they check, maybe they are not dead after all? Could be that some Vietnamese teens were out "cow tipping" and the cows just didn't get up assuming they would be tipped again.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I did have my doubts upon reading the given reason for the deaths. I thought buffalo of all creatures would be hardy enough to battle the cold.
It is a better excuse than any we have been previously given - and more believable because of the huge number that died.

The jury is still out on this one for me though.

Also, has anyone actually heard any follow up from any of the previous deaths, or have the been brushed under the rug, never to be mentioned again? I suspect the latter.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
More signs of cracking up ,in the animal kingdom as well,this is too abnormal and how the hell is all this info appearing all the time ,are TPTB trying to suttly telling us something.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
We were just on our way to the city for some dinner tonight when in the car I mentioned that I hadn't heard of any more mass bird deaths in a few days. My hubby said "Well, did you hear about the cows in Wisconsin?" To which I replied "You heard about 200 cows dying in Wisconsin and you didn't tell me about it?" "That's a good 1/2 hour of research on ATS for me! Now, to get home and hear of these cattle and buffalo in Vietnam, this just sounds like another run on our wildlife.

If you read thru some of the comments on the original article posting one of the comments said that they looked up the weather in Vietnam as of recently, and that the temps there only got to a low of 50 degrees F. Hmm, if that's true, then that couldn't possibly have been the reason for the deaths. That is unless I don't understand about how cattle and buffalo can withstand temperatures, which could be.

Is there anyone on ATS that has a background in cattle farming? I'd love to hear some input from an expert who has a theory on the mass deaths.

Thanks to the original poster for this article, and btw, I'm a ginger too! We rock!

<< 1  2   >>

join