It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I guess ATS is the home of the hypocrites

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It seems to me somebody needs some attention. I guess calling folks names appears his plan. I for one read what is interesting to me at the time. Tunesia just isn't that interesting to me right now. If you don't like that sorry.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

The people who go on about ''revolution'' tend to be fantasists, in my opinion, and let wishful thinking get in the way of any objectivity.

The ''hypocrisy'' part is sadly correct, but is just indicative of the main reason that revolutions and uprisings never work in the long-term.

The problem is - as ever - human nature, and our general selfishness and survival instincts.

I would imagine the reason that the Tunisian uprising has not received so much attention from ATS, is because of this ''I'm alright Jack'' mentality. It doesn't directly affect anybody in Europe or North America.

You'll see that if there's trouble in a Western country, such as Greece, then there are keyboard warriors all over the place, licking their lips, because they hope it will have a knock-on affect to other European countries.

Ultimately, I think that those who go on about ''revolution'', sadly, are mostly after freedom from their own reality, rather than a deeper ideological belief in the cause.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
As much as I support the Tunisians and their revolution, forgive me but I am focused more so on the home front than on a global scale. I have been a student of revolution for quite some time and the current world matters have not slipped from my gaze. However, there is currently a lot going on in the US of A to keep my attention drawn here.

None the less, it does not make me a hypocrite for promoting revolution yet not speaking when it happens elsewhere. Revolution is a natural and accepted thing. In fact, I would call the REAL hypocrites the people who support the Tunisians in their revolution, yet denounce it whenever it is spoken about in their home countries. That is where the true hypocrite lies; those who will never stand against tyranny.

Still, good for them. I'm glad the rest of the world is waking up to reality. My only question is this:

How long until the US follows suit, if ever?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Against my better sense, I'm tossing my 2 cents in the ring (a mixing metaphors to do so). I just think that when I see this level of frustration, it's because you're trying to make an apple of pear. ATS is what it is, and getting frustrated at that to the point that you're yelling accusations at the community if more reflective of your lack of understanding of this community than a condemnation of the community itself.

I was talking with a friend the other day, and he was saying how he's becoming frustrated with a lot of his friends, that he wants to stop hanging out with them because they can't handle a lot of topics that he wants to discuss, that they just want to laugh all the time and party. I told him, well, then just realize that they're party friends. If you want to have a deep conversation, call me, because you know I will and can and we'll enjoy it. But also, sometimes you might just want to laugh and toss back some drinks and go out, then give them a ring and go enjoy yourself and appreciate them for providing that in your life. Not all things for all people. I would urge you to view ATS in the same way. Geo-politics is part of what is discussed here, but there are also people here who want to speculate about UFOs, God, the moon...take your pick. I guarantee you that there are a lot of sights devoting most of their threads to Tunisia...go and tap into them, and don't abandon ATS, try to bring the message here, but recognize that the community is as it presents itself. You can't change that, because the "face" of ATS is created by those who are members, and their interests are made known by what captures their attention. Doesn't make them hypocrits...you were wrong to say so.

Peace...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Some of us didnt need yer stinkin threads...Were already aware of the plight of tunisians and the consequent fallout for their goverment.
I didnt see your bump on the Patagonian revolt now underwiegh....
There are people here who are searching for info, and answers, The info doesnt supply all the answers, and the current gamut of what we face is wide and varied.
Yes we wish the Tunisians well, will we immediately jump to your frantic postings ? NO....
Please continue to keep us updated if you care to....
Remember that the goverment is monitoring every thread, and probably runs them all through Echelon.
We need to organise the same kind of scenario here in North America...(as Tunis) Stop calling names and start being part of the solution instead of the problem.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I get your meaning but hypocrite may be a little strong. There are a massive amount of subjects covered here. Some people have more interest in certain things than others. I (as I am sure many have) have posted topics that I thought were outrageous and figured others would too. Then the thread falls flat after a few responses. That's just the way it happens. Either other posters don't see it as important as you do, they s&f but don't post, they don't like you or your thread gets buried under "the greys". Who knows what it is?

The only thing you can do is post things you find interesting/important and let the people do with it what they will.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Personally. I think blanketing ATS members as a group of hypocrites is way out of line.

Many have already posted great answers. But I just want to add that a lot of great threads get started and buried quickly around here. Sometimes within minutes of being posted. It would be nice to see the staff adjust things to help keep new threads alive a little longer. But that may not happen. Try to keep your own threads alive by adding info when you can. That was the advice I recieved from the mods. It does help.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Who am I to call you a hypocrite? I am the person making about 5 threads on this subject since it came to my knowledge. I am the person who is doing research into this to learn as much as possible. I am the person who is showing my support to the Tunisians and standing in solidarity with them by wearing their flag on my avatar. So what have you done to show your support for Tunisians?

Haha, man what would the Tunisians do without you!

You are just as big of a hypocrite as the people you are calling out...

If your idea of being a bigger part of this conflict is making a few threads and changing your avitar then I think you are delusional at best...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
most of the stories that get to the front page are either cultural american stuff or really stupid theads. Post your threads in the understanding that many more peeps read them than comment on them. A it is a large portion of your members wont even be able to show were tunisia is on a map there not going to care.
It is a shame as it is a very big story far more intersting than the story about some random shooting a political figure.
Revolutions acoss north africa should be front page.. but remember whom your audience is...

kx
edit on 17-1-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

easy to mock but what have you done...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

You're right ATS is home of the hypocrites. People don't care what happens to other nations as long as theirs is not affected by it. The UN, EU, NATO, and N/A will not go and help out a nation unless they have a vested interest in that nation. We don't care for spreading democracy and if a nation wants democracy we don't help them.

The only way to help them is if there was some way to make a profit for our greedy corporations.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Ok i will bite.....

Where the f*#k is Tunisia and why should i care that another radical islamic country is about to be taken over by an even more extreme radical fundamentalist group of people??

www.digitaljournal.com...

Keep in mind that Islam does not allow for a democracy in the western sense of the word. It is just a delineation of whether or not they use Sharia law.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is NOT anything new or great it is just a changing of the guards. Grow up and quit whining!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

easy to mock but what have you done...

What has anyone on ATS ever done to REALLY make a difference? Answer me that...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
You are, of course, absolutely right. I would like to give this thread, and your thoughts and comments, the attention they deserve. At least from one ATSers perspective.

It seems that recently, two topics have dominated this message board. One being Jared Laughner's shooting spree and the fact that he'd posted on ATS. The other being the multiple incidences of birds dying around the world. Before that, there was a period where Wikileaks reigned supreme. Not that this is any excuse for threads such as yours about subjects that really matter should be relegated or sidelined, but of late I myself have found it frustrating to wade through numerous threads - all tending to be variations of the same theme - in order to get to threads that are actually more interesting or important.

Your anger reminds me of an old friend who went into work on the first day of the 1st Gulf War. On her break, she noticed that all the women in the break room could be bothered to talk about was what happened on a soap opera the night before. She vocalised her disdain along the lines of 'Oh my god, our country is now at war and all you can talk about is who argued with who on Eastenders last night'. Did she make a fair point? of course she did!

Something as important as this, what is happening in Tunisia, should be discussed by all. Rarely is it. And it is the same turning a blind eye, disinterest, acceptance of the status quo by the majority that allows tyrants, despots and psychopaths to gain power and henceforth abuse that power.

On here at the moment, unless your thread was titled something like 'Laughner Behind Mass Bird Die Off Reveals Wikileaks Founder Assange - Also Revealed Earth Was About To Tear Itself Apart Due to LHC Creating Antimatter' then you were pretty much on a hiding to nothing. Wrong, I know.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
This thread has become more about ATS and less about Tunisia, was that your intent, I don't think so, but with your words this is the response you provoked. Did you expect a different outcome, seriously?

I do not know anything about the history of Tunisia, or it's current situation. I am not going to comment on something about which I know nothing. I have a limited amount of time and a limited amount of brain space, I am unable to include all the issues of all the world. I fail to see how this makes me a hypocrite. Selfcentered, perhaps.

I hope you are able to draw attention to this issue about which you care passionately. I pray that Tunisia finds peace and a government that will hold the best interests of her people paramount.

edit on 17-1-2011 by Iamschist because: can you say redundant?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

It's frustrating I know, but don't give up. Please. Your work is valuable and valued.

Sometimes you have to just till the soil - and then wait decades for the harvest.

S&F &

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
OK, here is your flag, I am sure Tunisia will benefit from your thread being popular!

No star though because I feel you are begging for it!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Look everyone please just go and find a thread on the subject of Tunisia or create your own. Educate yourself on this subject that is all I ask for.

Research this, educate yourself, this is important, that is the point I am trying to make. Don't reply to this thread instead reply to one of the others about Tunisia.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

I assure you some members of this web site have and are continuing to do all they can to preserve our rights.

Unfortunately, this is not the place to be revealing deeds and plans.

This is a time to zip the lips and go forward with the good men and women that give unnoticed time and effort to the issues before us.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Misoir, thank you for bringing this issue to the front.

I have been researching world history and weather so that I might ease the fears of my grandchildren.
There is much disinformation going on in the lives of our children.
They must be shown the truth and not give up hope for a long and happy life.

That is my excuse for not giving my full attention to the Tunisians.
I have, however, followed their plight as it is unfolding.

Could it possibly spread to it's boarder countries?

It's almost as if I am expecting to see these honorable and brave people obliterated at any time.

Long live the reveloution and may it speard throughout our world.

Misoir, there is hope.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join