It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to civility and decorum within all topics?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Starting threads like this, are also part of that system Nef.
Come on, you know that.

Alerting the Mods is one option, starting a discussion amongst your fellow members about behaviour is another way to combat civility and decorum issue because you guys(Mod) can't and shouldn't be expected to carry that burden all on your own.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I make it a point to always alert staff about certain posts......but sometimes nothing happens.

What gives?? Just a couple of days ago I alerted you guys on exactly this in an other thread but since no action or reply was given, I just left the thread....

I understand you guys don't always agree with alerts but is it possible to react to the person sending the alert if no action will be taken?

Just suggesting a little extra workload for you guys in case you get bored....

Peace

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
This subject reminds me of the movie 12 Angry Men. The stuff that had to be sorted through and delt with before the facts could be established.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by Chadwickus

Could it have something to do with the surge of new members coming here?? They always come in waves...

I mean, how often do you see some world event bring in a group of new members with the wildest claims and theory's and after some time, when most have lost interest, the one's that do have the ability to discuss matters in a mature fashion remain....

I always take a break with incoming waves, no use in fighting the current.

Peace
edit on 17-1-2011 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

Op mindcrime,

Ooh yes.. A new flock every season...(my bro used to say that about girls every summer)

Thanks for reminding me that this too shall pass.

I'll remain patient and wait out the storm..read fluff if i have too and not feed the monkeys (and hope that our great contributors come back...)

Id much prefer the Political Flock at election time though, I never read them so they never bugged me...

you have the best day
Mel themuse

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

. . . is it possible to react to the person sending the alert if no action will be taken?

Is this the official policy of ATS or not?

A mod mentioned on another thread that this should take place, but what guidelines have the mods been given?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I dunno. SO's post and the resulting "effort" appear to me to have been directed at maybe one particular troublemaker or group of troublemakers. There doesn't seem to have been the same effort other than in this specific area.

Overall, to me, the past few weeks that I've been back seem relatively, no make that, very mild here compared to explosive days of yore,,,for example take right before any election, around the time of the "mosque" debates, and any 9/11 topics just about any time.

And the chemtrail threads are always, since I first came here for that very reason. The same exact pattern, same exact old-time posters (I'm sure we can all name them if we follow these threads) with very strong opinions, same exact responses. When it comes to chemtrails, this never changes.

I will say this though...the mods don't appear to be on top of things as they usually are though. The one-line bickering, duplicate threads, and ad hom attacks that are always typical do appear to be being "let go" in general and more often than not are not being addressed...or, again, don't appear to be. I haven't done any detailed analysis...just my perspective,

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose

. . . is it possible to react to the person sending the alert if no action will be taken?

Is this the official policy of ATS or not?

A mod mentioned on another thread that this should take place, but what guidelines have the mods been given?
When you send in an alert, this is part of the text in the auto-reply which may answer your question:

Please be aware that AboveTopSecret.com is a very busy place, and while we value the feedback and assistance of our members, you may not get a direct reply to this issue. When possible, we try to provide replies, but the rapid-fire nature of the environment sometimes our staff may not have the ability to provide a prompt reply.
I never get any kind of reply regarding an alert, whether they do or do not take action on an alert.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks, A.; good work.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Hey Lucidity

I too have noticed less action than Im are used to seeing from the mods. A recent popualtion boom maybe the cause...not enough mods?

There is definately a tonne of oneliners and double posts and assinine monkey drivel floating about unaddressed.

Still I do miss those that stimulated my noggin, those with years of experience and plenty of sense....What are we without our yangs?

Trolling can be moderated, But the loss of great contributors - can that be replaced when theres a monkey infestation. Who new with any sense would look in here at the moment and rightmindedly want to work so hard on great knowledgable threads and intriging topics of study and be inundatd by such bickering and lack of action to stop it. How disheartening.

I hope this is just a phase...a rough patch..I hope its not the end of a great thing. Where lines of reality can be blurred unquestionably and people wont be challenged to think for themselves. Its the opposite of growth, it is decline.

have the best day
themuse

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I think one of the things that escalate the ill-mannered behavior from some, from time to time, is that sense of urgency some people start subscribing too during events that swing public opinion that leads them to believe something has transpired where there fears are going to reach a culmination in the form of some other earth shattering event.

Example: “We all know that chemical trails have been going on for a while now, but now they are about to start making us drop like flies” or “yes a lot of people have been talking about changing the government or a revolution but now that congress people are being shot, it’s actually happening”

I think what happens to some is these internet conversations all of a sudden take on life and death proportions and immediacy in there mind to where they really seem to invent a moral dilemma in their mind of what’s more important following the Terms of Service or saving the world from this awful calamity (insert calamity of the moment here).

I don’t know how you get that mindset out of people’s minds because it is driven by anger and fear, and the mainstream media that usually makes them aware at first regarding most issues is all about promoting anger and fear.

It’s a challenge getting people to understand that in many cases they have been deliberately manipulated to an emotional state versus an intellectual state, with of course that person most interested in trying then also happens to be the person who most fundamentally disagrees with the whole premise or school of thought that led to their anxiety.

I am not sure there is a way to overcome it, just pointing it out from time to time hoping that calmer and more rational heads prevail.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
Posts like that set the tone and then YOU wonder why others get their backs up???

At the end of it all, we need to be responsible for our own posts. It doesnt matter what another member posts that offends us, gets our backs up or is just straight up lunacy.

We each take the time to read a post, click reply, type out our response, and then click publish. That should be more than enough time to maintain our manners and decorum.

Personal responsibility is all. I find it strange that many members do not seem to have it.

The manor posters in this thread, BiB and Chad, always maintain responsibility in their posts.
I try to as well. We know that every member wont at all times, but when we respond, we should not stoop to any level.

Chad thank you for this thread.

Nef, I actually oike this thread because it seems to take the temperature of where the membership is at.
It is always important to get feedback from others, and to be able to feel out the memberships' opinion on a subject, I just wish more people would chime in and offer there opinion.
edit on 17-1-2011 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

oops see above
edit on 17-1-2011 by youdidntseeme because: my bad

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Given that we don't ever discuss moderator actions - and that is a well known policy - and given that those who complain receive a U2U acknowledging that we've received it, I'm wondering what more we can do here?

Yes, we could send another U2U saying "yeah, we got that", but we would not discuss what actions we were taking.

Is this a case of "the staff left it alone and I don't like that?"

Alot of the time the staff will U2U someone and ask them to tone things down without anything ever getting put on the board at all. I know I've done that with some of the posters in this thread!!!

In a lot of instances we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. People expect us to moderate everything but their stuff, and if we go into a thread all guns blazing we tend to be accused of heavy handed moderation - and before you know it another thread akin to this one will crop up with "the mods are censorting the board".

There has to be a balance and - incidentally - it has to be one that doesn't involve witch-hunts

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

link   
I personally feel that there has been a dramatic increase in "uncivilized" behavior on ATS since I joined the site. This ranges from name calling and the use of foul language to downright uncivilized debate styles and outright deception. I don't care to point out any specific examples of this behavior but I think we all know of what I speak.

I think it is very important to note the mods do all they can to insure each instance is dealt with as appropriate. We must all remember that the mods are impartial and may not see offense where we do. If for instance someone were defending their viewpoint and someone else successfully debunked that viewpoint both parties could see the other as uncivilized and report the behavior. The actions the mods take would then be your best indicator of if your perception of offense was warranted. If the mods take no action then your claim of offense was most likely baseless.

I think over all ATS is a great site and an excellent tool to Deny Ignorance. Sometimes the discussion within a thread can be come heated and turn to the obscene or the undignified. That is when we must all strive to lead by example and not engage in the same sort of behaviors to respond to these "internet ruffians" or their ilk.

link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

The manor posters in this thread, BiB and Chad, always maintain responsibility in their posts.
I try to as well. We know that every member wont at all times, but when we respond, we should not stoop to any level.

Thanks for that but in fairness I have had a few off topic posts removed although I will say they were not the trully abusive words used by some..
I usually reply to the mods message and apologise..
We are all human and ocassionaly react on instinct rather than thought...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Just having a browse through this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and I am appalled.

Ad hom attacks on skeptics abound!

CHAD! Don't be appalled mate, be overjoyed.

We are winning. The sceptical world has enjoyed unparalleled success against those who promote lies and deceit.

The simple fact that these morons attack us in greater veracity and quantity shows we are doing exactly the right thing. Were they to debate us and sensibly consider their answers, we'd be forced to work much harder in making them look stupid (obviously I mean help them deny their ignorance). As it is, they're doing our job for us.

The only part where we are losing is that there simply aren't enough moderators to keep a lid on the disgusting threats, language and abuse that is posted on this board daily. Yeah yeah, ALERT this, ALERT that, it doesn't do any good. They know how to get through the system we have here - double-talk and snarking is at an all time high and makes the task unpleasant.

But take heart Chad, the 'believers' on all topics are being whittled away - empiricism is the only way, and they know it.

The Revenant.
edit on 17-1-2011 by The Revenant because: Spelling.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant
The simple fact that these morons attack us in greater veracity and quantity shows we are doing exactly the right thing.

And.... there goes your argument, right out of the window.

You want people to be civil, and you use a phrase like that.

Thank you and good night Gracie.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

The simple fact that these morons attack us in greater veracity and quantity shows we are doing exactly the right thing.

And on that note, the defence rests..

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I think the difference is, generally speaking, a sceptic is going to be a more critical thinker- thus they'll find it much easier to veil their insults, in order to worm their way around the T+C, whilst actually appearing/being highly hostile. Not to say that sums up every sceptic, sometimes I'm a sceptic myself- but, as previously mentioned in this thread, there are certain individuals who are clearly intelligent, yet can't seem to respond to someone they disagree with without plenty of what appears almost to be anger, sarcasm, a dash of
and
emotes (clearly patronising the poster), along with plenty of CAPS and ..........................s for good measure.

Is it really necessary to attack a post at all? Perhaps one would argue yes, as that is the only way to get through to some people. However, it seems to me that by responding in such a hostile manner, you're likely to make it personal in your "opponents" mind- thus they will be totally ignorant to your views, as it will become a topic fueled by emotion, for them.

It's not easy to admit defeat, especially after your opponent has just ran up and screamed "LOSERRR!!" in your face.
edit on 17-1-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join