It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt church shooting attacker gets death sentence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com

CAIRO – An Egyptian court on Sunday convicted and sentenced to death a Muslim man for killing six Christians and a Muslim guard last year — the latest in a series of moves by authorities seeking to calm religious tensions following a massive suicide bombing outside a church two weeks ago.

The violence has raised fears of a deepening and potentially explosive Muslim-Christian divide in this key U.S. ally, which is already beset by a widening income gap and frustration over government corruption and a lack of democratic reform.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Here is finally something that we have all been asking for, a Muslim nation publicly standing up, in a very real sense, against terrorism. Just to clarify, this is not the most recent Church bombing last month, but the one that occurred a year ago, again at Christmas.

I see repeatedly on ats that Muslims need to stand against and denounce terrorism. Nothing denounces terror more than giving the terrorist the death sentence.

Just wanted to bring to everyone's attention.

www.foxnews.com

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The person in question must be a scapegoat. One person could not plan this attach and kill so many people. They picked up this person and perhaps must of been deficient in the head somewhat so they picked him to die or they cut off his tongue so he couldn't say anything and being a Christian at that. Too many killings and all get away except this one??. Very hard to believe that their government can do a job so badly.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I don't think this will deter Muslims from dying for their cause in any way. That's why there are suicide bombers. On the contrary, this will probably fuel more to commit violent acts such as; no problem killing multiple people and then waving his hands for death to greet him. You'll have many Muslims looking at this, and thinking 'He did a brave thing for a glorious cause.' Death does not scare extreme Muslims like this guy. In the afterlife, you get anything you want, including ____ sex partners; a Muslim dude has his mind set on the pussy....

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brothers
The person in question must be a scapegoat. One person could not plan this attach and kill so many people. They picked up this person and perhaps must of been deficient in the head somewhat so they picked him to die or they cut off his tongue so he couldn't say anything and being a Christian at that. Too many killings and all get away except this one??. Very hard to believe that their government can do a job so badly.

Two more will be sentenced next month, they had separate trials and his was done first.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Being a martyr doesn't scare extremists, being a murder and going hell does. Martyrs act for or because of God, murderers have undivine motives, there is a difference.

Well, personally I see this a state attempting to end the rise of extremism. Extremists believe that they are waging a war justified by God because someone taught them this is the truth. In this case, the court stood up and said no, you are simply a murderer and will die as such.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth

www.foxnews.com

CAIRO – An Egyptian court on Sunday convicted and sentenced to death a Muslim man for killing six Christians and a Muslim guard last year — the latest in a series of moves by authorities seeking to calm religious tensions following a massive suicide bombing outside a church two weeks ago.

The violence has raised fears of a deepening and potentially explosive Muslim-Christian divide in this key U.S. ally, which is already beset by a widening income gap and frustration over government corruption and a lack of democratic reform.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

I am glad he is being punished, however the death penalty is probably not so good. As a christian, I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe this man should spend the rest of his life in an Egyptian jail as he deserves for his crimes.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth01

Yeah, I was going back and forth, as I often do with the death penalty. But I understand the need to take such a strong stance, and his crime was multiple murders, so..... idk, the world won't miss him.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
reply to post by Truth01

Yeah, I was going back and forth, as I often do with the death penalty. But I understand the need to take such a strong stance, and his crime was multiple murders, so..... idk, the world won't miss him.

Same here, considering the death penalty. I am a Christian however and no matter how bad is someone's crimes, we are not supposed to judge as humans. Our lives are relatively short, and God's judgement will be much more harsh in the end - an eternity with him or an eternity burning in the pits of hell. This man will get his judgement either way, but us as humans should not make it in accordance with God's law.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

And you'll have many, many, many more musli,s who look at this and say "Bastard killed seven people, deserves what he gets."

They're not all as full of hatred as you are.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

And you'll have many, many, many more musli,s who look at this and say "Bastard killed seven people, deserves what he gets."

They're not all as full of hatred as you are.

Sorry but that is a lot of b/s. I am christian and do not condone anyone's death. I believe this man has been captured and deserves a lifetime in jail like any mass murderer, as he would likely commit the same crime again. In less than 100 years he would get his real punishment either way - by God.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This is good news to the victims of the Coptic community. However, is this guy who set to be executed solely responsible for the atrocity, or even guilty to begin with? We have to remember that this country is run by a dictatorship in the Hosni Muburak regime. He has abysmal human rights record, and has been an unchallenged leader for years. Moreover, he has been the President of Egypt since the assassination of Awar Sadat in the early eighties. Moreover since the assassination of Sadat, the country has been in a state of emergency.

Mubarak has come under criticism for extending Egypt's Emergency Law (the country has been under a state of emergency since Sadat's assassination in 1981). Under that "state of emergency", the government has the right to imprison individuals for any period of time, and for virtually no reason, thus keeping them in prisons without trials for any period.

en.wikipedia.org...

So we can't put much stock into the legitimacy of any investigation, trial, or execution of any suspect in this latest attack on the Christian community in Egypt because of Egypt's governments shady record. It is easy for the security to services to pick up anyone on the street, take them to some interrogation facility and turn the screws on them, set up a kangaroo court with trumped up charges and evidence, and before long a verdict of execution. President Muburak has probably got the memo regarding civil unrest in other North African countries like Tunisia and Algeria, and felt compelled to get his goons out there to find anyone to take the blame for this latest attack to calm any potential threats to his reign. Hopefully the guy being sent to the executioner is the right one?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Being that he is sentenced to death, I certainly hope that he had responsibility in the crime.

Here's the thing though (at least to me). Every time there is an act of terrorism of Muslim extremists there is post after post of members wanting Muslims to take a stand against terrorism, to denounce the actions and people.

Here we have a prime example of this very activity. The Egyptian police and government took a very strong stance in the face of said terrorism, they located three people which were convicted in the shootings, the first is sentenced to death, the other two will be sentenced next month.

Unfortunately, this isn't even enough for some people. Well, I for one give Egypt credit for standing up against extremism.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

You are right and it seems Egypt took the right approach. However, the country is run by a dictator, and he rules under emergency powers as I mentioned earlier. It is great that suspects were apprehended and one having been convicted and sentenced to death.

Still, it is easy to pick up anyone off the street and take them to an interrogation facility, turn the screws on them, and after while the person is bound to confess to anything their captors want. Hopefully, the men responsible are in custody, and this is not a political move by Muburak to loosen the religious animosity among Muslims and Christians in Egypt. He cannot afford to have riots like his neighbors in North Africa. I hope this act of standing up to extremism is legitimate and not another game of smoking mirrors. You make some good points, and on the surface is this what the world expects from Muslim countries when dealing with extremism and terrorism.

top topics

join