It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Yes America, WE Are Failing Our Children

page: 2
3
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity
 


That's nice! Kids sleep like angles. What city are you from?




posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StlSteve
 


You know, there are places you can get some relief. Help with the kids and such. All you have to do is ask



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by StlSteve
 


Look, I ain't no government agency. I'm just here to help if you need it. No need to be scared. Lord knows I've been scared too.



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Come on, talk to me at least



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by StlSteve
 


I don't understand who you are talking to!?



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by Advantage
 


LOL Thanks for the mother in law comment. That totally made my night. I will continue to parent the way I see fit and pretty much ignore most of what she has to say about it


I think there is a misconception that the way kids turn out is completely dependent on the action (or inaction) of the parents, when it is not always the case.


Nope.. we have kids who come from abusive homes and neglect that become wonderful folks and kids from perfect homes who become killers.. its NOT all parenting environment or nurturing.


My first child was born and all was well.. then she started falling off the charts for development. Seems she's autistic. At 17 she is a high functioning, high IQ, wonderful kid.. after years of them telling me that she would be forever delayed and dependent. Bah! dont worry about developmental delays or what experts say. Watch your child.. do what you can. Educate yourself and keep questioning. You wont work miracles, but dont let others limit YOU or your child. I was always a goody 2 shoes.. never even smoked grass in college and dont drink... my pregnancy was completely average and I had her natural.( Like a fool) . Stuff just happens.

In truth, if my MIL would have uttered something that stupid Hubby and I would have been climbing over one another to tell her how stupid she was.
I wish you luck with that one. If she says anything else moronic.. come over and tell me.. I can call her names and we can laugh about it. Better to laugh about it than pay a hitman.. I always say..


They are thinking now that he might be Asperger's. I kind of think so too, not really sure. Speech therapist says he has developmental verbal apraxia. So for now, its speech 2x per week, preschool 2x per week, physical therapy/occupational therapy 1 or 2x per week. Plus we read and sing songs, try our letters and their sounds etc. So we are busy
He is making progress though, preschool made a huge difference. Its always interesting to watch him try so hard to tell me what he did all day, its very cute.

Do you want to know what I did to screw him up so badly? I held him too much as a baby and let him have a binky. Yep, I am a horrible mother.


We have learned to ignore her comments... and the weird nervous laugh that follows.

I am always glad to hear other's experiences with their children who had delays. Most times there is a happy ending which totally puts a light at the end of the tunnel for me. Its also nice to know I am not alone.



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Please, just one reply



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by StlSteve
 


I don't understand who you are talking to!?


**shrug** me either.


In case anyone is nosey. one kid is spending the night at my neighbors house, one kid is asleep and one kid is up watching movies with her friend who is sleeping over.. again. MLK day.. no school. Hubby is playing some zombie killing computer game and cursing at the computer.. and Im on here while messing with a home page I was getting together for relatives out of town so we could share pics without facebook madness. The one thats asleep is my anomaly kid. SUper high energy bone head.. but when its sleepy time she doesnt even fight it. Just goes : KERPLUNK.
Good thing, she hasnt been too tired lately and its difficult entertaining a 5 yr old that many hours of the day.



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn
 


It could be that your child has Asperger's my friend has a son with this. It is five times more prevalent in males and those symptoms you have listed are common, but there are others as well. Like walking on tiptoes, Certain Food Allergies beleive it, or not, There is a long list. Could just be run of the mill Autism too. It is very hard to diagnose actually, it took a long time before they diagnosed my friend's son.
I really do think it has nothing to do with the parent's genetics either, I beleive it is all the chemicals they put in our food and water, honestly. Even formula, it is so true breast feeding is best, not because of the other reasons, but because there's so many nasty chemicals put in formula, you would not beleive it!



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by Advantage
 


LOL Thanks for the mother in law comment. That totally made my night. I will continue to parent the way I see fit and pretty much ignore most of what she has to say about it


I think there is a misconception that the way kids turn out is completely dependent on the action (or inaction) of the parents, when it is not always the case.


Nope.. we have kids who come from abusive homes and neglect that become wonderful folks and kids from perfect homes who become killers.. its NOT all parenting environment or nurturing.


My first child was born and all was well.. then she started falling off the charts for development. Seems she's autistic. At 17 she is a high functioning, high IQ, wonderful kid.. after years of them telling me that she would be forever delayed and dependent. Bah! dont worry about developmental delays or what experts say. Watch your child.. do what you can. Educate yourself and keep questioning. You wont work miracles, but dont let others limit YOU or your child. I was always a goody 2 shoes.. never even smoked grass in college and dont drink... my pregnancy was completely average and I had her natural.( Like a fool) . Stuff just happens.

In truth, if my MIL would have uttered something that stupid Hubby and I would have been climbing over one another to tell her how stupid she was.
I wish you luck with that one. If she says anything else moronic.. come over and tell me.. I can call her names and we can laugh about it. Better to laugh about it than pay a hitman.. I always say..


They are thinking now that he might be Asperger's. I kind of think so too, not really sure. Speech therapist says he has developmental verbal apraxia. So for now, its speech 2x per week, preschool 2x per week, physical therapy/occupational therapy 1 or 2x per week. Plus we read and sing songs, try our letters and their sounds etc. So we are busy
He is making progress though, preschool made a huge difference. Its always interesting to watch him try so hard to tell me what he did all day, its very cute.

Do you want to know what I did to screw him up so badly? I held him too much as a baby and let him have a binky. Yep, I am a horrible mother.


We have learned to ignore her comments... and the weird nervous laugh that follows.

I am always glad to hear other's experiences with their children who had delays. Most times there is a happy ending which totally puts a light at the end of the tunnel for me. Its also nice to know I am not alone.


Ahh Aspergers. my daughtger has aspergers with profound processing issues. Seriously, she is college level in all classes except math. Mainly because she doesnt get the formulas.. but she is a far cry better than the academic level of the public school kids here regardless.

I find it really hard to see Aspergers as a "disability". Aspies are amazing human beings.. and a-typical processing or not being neuro-typical is absolutely no indication of not having success in life or not living a very fulfilling life. Beforey ou swallow all of the "data" on how to treat and educate aspies.. really speak to a few. Get it from the horse's mouth.



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by daryllyn
 


It could be that your child has Asperger's my friend has a son with this. It is five times more prevalent in males and those symptoms you have listed are common, but there are others as well. Like walking on tiptoes, Certain Food Allergies beleive it, or not, There is a long list. Could just be run of the mill Autism too. It is very hard to diagnose actually, it took a long time before they diagnosed my friend's son.
I really do think it has nothing to do with the parent's genetics either, I beleive it is all the chemicals they put in our food and water, honestly. Even formula, it is so true breast feeding is best, not because of the other reasons, but because there's so many nasty chemicals put in formula, you would not beleive it!


My daughter started going downhill after her second set of shots for which she had her second severe reaction resulting in hospitalizations. She had seizures immediately after the immunizations. We filled out VAERS reports at the hospital .. . did no good. Some kids are just predisposed to reactions to certain chemicals and toxins IMO. You just go on and do the best you can for your kids. WHining about it really doesnt do too much for your kids future.



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by StlSteve
reply to post by ldyserenity
 


That's nice! Kids sleep like angles. What city are you from?


I will tell you that is true. Some of the weird, twisted angles i have found my kids asleep in...



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity
 


Someone on ATS mentioned to me once about heavy metal poisoning ( aluminum to be specific ). I wonder if there is a connection between autism and heavy metals??



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by StlSteve
reply to post by ldyserenity
 


That's nice! Kids sleep like angles. What city are you from?


I will tell you that is true. Some of the weird, twisted angles i have found my kids asleep in...


Our youngest had a bad habit of falling off of her bed and rolling under it.. seriously scared me to death when I couldnt find her one morning.



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage
 


I have started to wonder about vaccinations too since the whole thing started. I can't say that in his case I have noticed any kind of connection. My nephew (not blood) is an Aspie. So I suppose I could talk to him. What's funny is that my son really likes him even though they don't interact much. Maybe he has a radar?



posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Parenting is no longer a longed for position, it is a chore, part of the every day grind. Personally I think it is time for folks to quit trying to keep up with technology, quit pouring it into their kids lives, go back to a one parent working home and live a little more humble, it would afford the time to actually parent a child, to nurture a child, to teach a child. Pull the phones and gaming devices out of their hands, go fishing, hiking, camping, riding around and singing, ect. I know most might think their child will be behind on technology, rendering them useless in the workplace, but what is really worth more, your time with your children, or being tech savvy?



posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet
 


Star for you for making the one parent work household comment. I worked until I got married. My husband was bought up in a household where the wife always stayed at home. I thought that was nutty because I figured nobody did that anymore. He wanted me to stay home as well. My daughter is 13 and I have been extremely fortunate in being able to stay home with her. We do have to make a lot of sacrifices to be able to do this. But we decided it was worth it. I think it makes a difference when someone is willing to do it.
edit on 17-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe
 

Thanks for your comment, I do think that this is the answer. The more you work the more you go into debt for. I feel that it is not worth the time taken away from parent/child bonding to work your life away, missing your kids, while they text and play video games or just play with the apps on their phone, and you work to pay for all those services, all the while missing out on precious one on one time with them. Being with them is much much more valuable than any cell phone, gaming device, big screen, designer clothes, ect.



posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
If you guys only knew what I have been going through with my 14 year old son. I had no idea where he was for the first seven years of his life thanks to his mother not putting me as the father on the birth certificate. Several road blocks in attempting to locate him. Long story short, i found out that the Aunt had temporary custody and was no longer able to care for him as her husband had been in a horrific accident that left him brain damaged. So, through DNA testing and all that, and several trips from GA to OH, I was awarded full custody when he was the age of seven and it has been an uphill battle ever since. Following is from an email I sent to a friend who was asking about the situation:

It has been an absolutely unreal week.....From the beginning.......I have gotten emails left and right from his teachers explaining that he refuses to do the work, refuses to listen to instructions etc etc. So I email his probation officer and explained that I was about ready to take everything out of his room except for his clothes and bed. The PO said she would do that so I did. Now, he has been doing really good for the past couple of weeks.(Christmas and all..yea?) and we had court on Monday. The minute we get in the court room, dude requests to speak with the judge privately...WHA? The counselor with me tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I knew what was going on.I had no clue.....after an hour in chambers, the judge comes out and orders that Jonathan have his drawing stuff available and court orders guitar lessons!! Excuse me? I said i would have to find out just where and how much and of course that didn't go over well as the judge threatened me with an order of protection. SO! Needless to say I was pissed as we left the court and I had to take Jonathan back to school. As we were getting in the car, he asks, "So, who are you mad at, me or them?" I said, "You, (knowing he hadn't told the truth to the judge), and he says......"What are you gonna do about it?" And I didn't say a word. He says, "Yea, that's what I thought, nothing." So proceeded to explain that what I was gonna do was make sure he did as the court ordered with tutorial, counseling etc etc and that if he didn't I would have to report it to the judge and his PO. He asks if that was a threat and I said no sir, that's a promise! So he says that he isn't scared and I said that I wasn't trying to make him scared.........it's how it is and gonna be. So, we get to the school, I sign him back in, smile and wink at him and tell him I will see him after school. 3:00 P.M. comes and goes...no Jonathan.......I start calling and I got it figured out. Dude told the school that I threatened him and that he didn't want to come home. SO! I call one of the many counselors to be here when they get here. A police officer brings him home with a DEFACS worker along side, who questions both me and Jamie separately while the police officer and the counselor talk to Jonathan in the living room. Jamie and I tried to stay out of it as much as possible but when we would correct him about things he started yelling at us telling us to SHUT UP and that was #ING PISSED....all in front of the Police officer etc......then came the "I'm gonna kill them!" again.........and he was placed under arrest for a 4th time. Somehow, some way, he has convinced them that WE abuse him......I'm tired and this was the quick version of what has happened......I can't live like this, it's been four years of pure Hell trying to get this child to understand.......



posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by savageheart
 


yeah, life is hard.

You should start by not calling him "Dude", unless you just put that in there for the sake of ATS.

Also, something doesn't sound right. The court cannot order you to provide things for him that exceed the basics needed for survival (food, clothing, etc). I am not saying you aren't telling the truth, but for a court to order guitar lessons is absurd.

Either the facts you laid out are not accurate, or you have a sociopath on your hands being enabled forcibly by the Government via court order.




top topics



 
3
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join