It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KY proposes smoking ban in cars with kids

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Why not just categorically ban smoking?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Reprobation

Wouldn't work, Heroin and Crack are banned, doesn't stop people doing it, just makes them criminals.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reprobation
Why not just categorically ban smoking?

Because when it does not endanger other people, it should not be banned.

To the topic: I agree with this law, smoking in car with children is ridiculous. If you want to smoke, stop and go smoke outside.
edit on 17/1/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

Completely agree sarah. This law is only a way to generate more revenue for the state who are all broke now. Sure they add in the feel good ramifications of saving the children. Always "for the children". Raise sales tax cause the poor "children" need better schools. On and on.

Does anybody think somebody who smokes in their cars around kids isn't smoking around their kids at home? Do they just stop when they walk in the door? Lets get real. Of course they are.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Cigarettes will be banned in the next 10 years mark my words. There is nothing good about smoking. I smoked for several years and it was extremely hard to quit because I had tied everything to smoking. When they started attacking smokers I knew it wouldn't be long before they started making it harder and harder to remain a smoker. This will end in an all and all out ban country wide on smoking. The only exception will be cigars and it will be in a very limited capacity. Smokeless tobacco will still be allowed just because it has no side effects on the people around the users. It has already started with insurance companies now actually testing for nicotine in your system before they will issue you a life insurance policy. If you test positive the cost rises significantly.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Just to add a little perspective to the so-called "health" issues of smoking in cars with kids, I am providing a link to an article that was published in a medical journal

www.theprovince.com...

Essentially, the article proves that the science "proving" that smoking in cars with kids is really really shaky. the article shows that for all the bans that were passed to date around the world - there really wasn't any indication that smoking in cars with kids poses any health risk at all. But the author wants the government to continue to pass such bans because it is "good policy".

So I guess giving fines to the parents of kids with tans will also be "good policy". Afterall it generates revenues!

Think about it folks - you want to ban smoking in cars with kids but the kids are sitting in a cloud of auto exhaust made up of the very same chemical constituents as tobacco smoke! But at much much higher volumes and concentrations.

In a car, you are sitting in a small space with 4 good chimneys (every time you open a car window - even just an inch, it creates a vacuum that sucks the air out of the car.

This isn't based on any health concerns what so ever but it is "good policy" because it allows government to continue to harass smokers and produce revenue at the same time.

If you support this law - then I guarantee that you will be next. What about tracking the groceries you buy through computer and fining you if you don't buy enough veggies?

Tired of Control Freaks
Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Drinking is legal yet if you get behind the wheel of a car and caught you will be fined. Smoking is legal yet if you get behind the wheel and do it you will be fined. Next up will be texting then the use of cell phones alltogether to save us all. All to generate revenue for these fools who can't stop spending our money.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

The nanny staters are going to get ugly with Americans for the sake of extra revenue. Watch it grow. Witch hunt coming.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I guess the people in KY are just too stupid to make their own choice.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

I agree with you.
I think, yet again the governments are fooling the people with another blatant lie.
I refer to this video that was posted on the first page.

www.youtube.com...

It`s just a load of rubbish.
Some people are bringing up Asthma etc.

What about the fluoride in the water ? They tell us all to drink 8 glasses a day !
In your toothpaste ?

www.youtube.com...

The radioactive fallout from the bombs they detonated in our atmosphere ?
The Chemtrails ? The vaccines ?

On my housing estate of over 30,000 houses that had smoke billowing out of chimneys in the sixties, there was hardly any kids that had asthma.
Everyone smoked, even in the doctors waiting room !
It was rare to see a kid with Cancer, Autism, Crohns disease, Diabetes.

We are now supposedly living in a cleaner world, with all the rules the governments have brought out but there`s more illnesses.
Yet the governments put what they like in our food, our water, vaccines and on and on.
By the way....my Grandmother worked in bars for over fifty years.
Lived till she was 96 and never had a problem with her lungs.
I

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I have terrible breathing problems from my dad smoking in the car w/the window up as a child.

Only when we would turn white/green and get nauseous would he lower the window and allow fresh air in.

Sometimes bits of the 'cherry' (the lit coal at the end of the cigarette) would fly off his cigarette and onto us, a couple times it went straight into my eye.

Then again, he was a terrible parent. Just like anyone else who would smoke in a car w/their child.

Although, I'm not sure stupidity and thoughtlessness should be illegal...

Cuz at one point or another, we'd all be locked up.
edit on 1/17/11 by Tharsis because: added "bits of" to the cherry sentence

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sara123123
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

The nanny staters are going to get ugly with Americans for the sake of extra revenue. Watch it grow. Witch hunt coming.

They've already started after the coke industry by getting it out of schools. I look for taxes to be dropped all over it soon as its just not really that good for us peasants.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
what's the legal driving age in kentucky?

When they passed this law in Ontario, Canada there were a couple of stories about 16 and 17 year olds being ticketed for smoking in the car with their friends who were under 16....

16 is the age to drive .
as long as they are in school and passing.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Our civil rights are being stripped away more all the time. It starts small, and grows more and more. Cigs have been propaganded as supreme evil, so the mass of sheep follow along and approve bans, then it will eventually be free speech, certain websites like this will be illegal.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NonKonphormist
I agree, there are too many pointless laws imo.

But, if people were more responsable, TPTB wouldn't have the ammo to bring these new laws in.

If people want to smoke, go for it, I respect you choice, but it should be a two way respect, smokers should respect those that choose not to smoke, that should extend to their children.

Peace.

And will you complain when...
They come after your alcohol?
You fast food?
and you sugary drink's?

I bet money you do and all of the above kill more each year than 2nd hand smoke.
When you allow them to pass law's like the above.
It allows them to basically control anything and everything they deem not good for you.
And that is not the American way of life i am sorry folk's.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cincykid

And that is what is going to happen with in a 10 year's time because arrogant people can not see it coming.
If they can do it to smoker's...why not sugar or fast food.
and it will happen that is my whole argument about all this.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
reply to post by sara123123

Completely agree sarah. This law is only a way to generate more revenue for the state who are all broke now. Sure they add in the feel good ramifications of saving the children. Always "for the children". Raise sales tax cause the poor "children" need better schools. On and on.

Does anybody think somebody who smokes in their cars around kids isn't smoking around their kids at home? Do they just stop when they walk in the door? Lets get real. Of course they are.

with that very point you make..
Should they make a law too ban smoking in your home with children present?
If so they will have to make drinking at home a criminal offense.
wouldn't you think.
and you know what happen when they banned alcohol before .

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It's my guess that this is actually a way to make it easier for police to pull over drivers.
He can say he thought he saw you smoking and wanted to see if there were kids in the car.
Even if they don't fine for smoking, they've legally opened the door to search for any potential offense.
Smoking cigarettes will be all the probable cause needed.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee
It's my guess that this is actually a way to make it easier for police to pull over drivers.
He can say he thought he saw you smoking and wanted to see if there were kids in the car.
Even if they don't fine for smoking, they've legally opened the door to search for any potential offense.
Smoking cigarettes will be all the probable cause needed.

and wouldn't if they pass this law make ash tray's..illegal paraphernalia?
If it's illegal..
Think about it smoking pot is bad if you have 3 joint's and 400 dollars in 20's..it's called drug money and you loose ya money lol
So do we sue the car company's for putting a ashe tray in every car ever made?

I am just saying enough is enough.
edit on 17-1-2011 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I was with the on the fence guy but after reading that sentence above, wow, what a load of twaddle. Jesus...

Here I am on the fence I'm really torn between my freedom to do what the hell I like in my car and the rights of children not to be poisoned by my stupidity.

What is more important protecting the kids or protecting my rights when one my violate the other ?

Perhaps a law preventing smoking with in a distance of a child would end the problem but then I would have to ask should the children not be protected in the same manner from what we are doing to the air that they breathe

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join