It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Govt Makes Disasterous Decision

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
well from what i understand if australia didn't do what we/america said... you're a terrorist and we'd come at you like so then take those resources any way

just like 9/11

just don't hate us
hate who controls us

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
You seriously expect any of today's governments to turn down their 'G O D' Gold, Oil & Dollar for the peoples and environments sake? It seems to me that today you have to be missing some basic human qualities to be a shot caller.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

How doe's this classify as a Thread? This is bull****. Number one BP are not a criminal company, number 2. The Yanks were happy to take the profits and thousands of jobs until soemthing bad happened, then they said "Damn Brits!". The british didnt pollute anythign, a large multinational company wrecked an area of the USA. Why do you assume it's going to happen in Aus. Also. How many bloody places have the yanks walked into and anahialted? Cultures have been wiped because of them. They are greedy. They take until somehting goes wrong then they pit it on everyone else. (BP incident). DOnt be a sheep bro. We already got enough of them here.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by backup

Backup

I do have to agree with you here.....

The BP diasater in the GoM was really the fault of the poor regulations and poor sub-contractors cutting corners....

The buck stopped with BP as it was an easy logo to 'divert' blames from what are ""greedy"" American companies...

I too have now started to Question American foreign policy because there is actually plenty of oil to go around - the problem is that it is mainly owned by Countries whom Hate and detest America...
Iran 10.3%, Venezuela 12.9%, Iraq 8.6%, Kuwait 7.6%, Russia 5.6%, UAE 7.3%, Libya 3.3%, Kazakhstan 3%.....

Thank God for Saudi Arabia 19.8%, a bought country in the pocket ??? of the West.......

If we all tried to get along and work together using the resources we HAVE then the reliance on new and risky exploration would be reduced....

Those in Power are really pathetic and very short sighted...!

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
All I can say is, if they do start drilling and some crap happens...

BP brings just one drop of Corexit near australian waters in the quantities they pumped into the recent spill...

I'll personally go down to BP HQ here and place my fist right through the Directors friggin face, right before I stuff a cup of Corexit down his throat!!

Not a boast!!

SWHTF

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by backup
reply to post by SNAFU38

How doe's this classify as a Thread? This is bull****. Number one BP are not a criminal company, number 2. The Yanks were happy to take the profits and thousands of jobs until soemthing bad happened, then they said "Damn Brits!". The british didnt pollute anythign, a large multinational company wrecked an area of the USA. Why do you assume it's going to happen in Aus. Also. How many bloody places have the yanks walked into and anahialted? Cultures have been wiped because of them. They are greedy. They take until somehting goes wrong then they pit it on everyone else. (BP incident). DOnt be a sheep bro. We already got enough of them here.

Well so far, 53 flags would suggest its a thread.

I have no idea what your problem is with me reporting news, do you carry on like a fool on all news threads ?

So it appears the US has done something personal to you. Get over it. When was this ever a debate on the US ? Sure their waters are a prime & recent example of the disaster we should be trying to avoid at all costs, but again, this isnt about the US, its about a bad decision made by a desperate government, Australias. Ive heard that before, oh yes, the title. I have reasons to dislike the US, but I know its not the people, its TPTB, & this thread is not about them.

I assume the bad practices of a foreign company to be repeated, considering their desperate attempts to pass the blame onto everyone but themselves. They have not learnt their lesson & they will continue to do the same, be it in the North Sea, the Gulf of Mexico, or the Great Australian Bite, & knowing our govenment, the Great Barrier Reef soon.

If I was a sheep, would I have even reported this news ?? & I am definately not your 'bro'.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Wow, lucky aussies! Well, I guess I don't really have the words this morning. Go ask BP how they plan to ensure no disasters occur. Tell them that you personally want black and white proof. Of course, in the end it wouldn't matter, but hey, what's it gonna hurt, eh?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

The Australians never really bother about world events until it happens in their neck of the woods I'm afraid.

Because I kept updated from day one of the Gulf of Mexico disaster, I was lucky to download some of the best of the worst photos and passing it around all my friends here; and I am also passing around details of the large spill in the Timor Sea and Nigeria. Hopefully that should wake them up!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by SNAFU38

The Australians never really bother about world events until it happens in their neck of the woods I'm afraid.

Where on earth did you hear that rubbish ? 50% of our news is international, 90% if you watch SBS news. Their motto is "News from home, if you live in the World."

I think you will find that Australia, probably like most nations with small populations, have so little of interest happen locally (the floods being an exception) that international news is needed to fill time. The opposite could be said about, eg, the USA. They have so much local news they dont have time to fit all that in let alone news from everywhere else.

Australia is very well informed about whats happening around the world, unless you watch the tabloid news like 7, 9 & 10.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Well BP is a company in the british common wealth. And so is Australia, so tell me why the hell this doesn't make sense.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Ok i will be civalized, please explain this comment nice and slow because as an Australian. i find this comment hard too understand, be really great if you have the balls to tell us your story and why you think this

Wal

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by auswally
reply to post by bluemirage5

Ok i will be civalized, please explain this comment nice and slow because as an Australian. i find this comment hard too understand, be really great if you have the balls to tell us your story and why you think this

Wal

Because we come from Criminal Stock! And of course Criminals only think of themselves!!!

Just on a side note, don't underestimate the power of the Unions here in Australia. If they think that there will be any problems that could stuff things up, or corners trying to be cut, they WILL get involved.

Having worked on the Port Botany Expansion Project for a year (the dredging operation was run by a Belgian company), I saw on a daily basis how involved the Unions were, and how much power they actually wielded.

But only time will tell how things go.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Frankly,

If people have ever seen Great Barrier Reef in real life many would protect it with there lives.

I see many posters being indifferent but they don't know the value of this reef which is about to be traded for more conformism.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SNAFU38

reply to post by SNAFU38

Where on earth did you hear that rubbish ? 50% of our news is international, 90% if you watch SBS news. Their motto is "News from home, if you live in the World."

I think you will find that Australia, probably like most nations with small populations, have so little of interest happen locally (the floods being an exception) that international news is needed to fill time. The opposite could be said about, eg, the USA. They have so much local news they dont have time to fit all that in let alone news from everywhere else.

Australia is very well informed about whats happening around the world, unless you watch the tabloid news like 7, 9 & 10.

I have to agree with this.

Australians are renowned for being travelers. It seems to be a right of passage for Australians to travel in their youth and see as much of the world as possible. I know several Australians (one of my closest friends emigrated with her Australian traveling boyfriend who she met on his second trip around the world) and every one I have met knows more about the world than anyone.

Some stereotypes are true.
Americans generally know far less about what's beyond their borders than most others. Europeans are generally more passionate and politically engaged than others. Brits like tea and crumpets and we have bad teeth and we can be xenophobic. Australians like to travel and are very outward looking, they're more curious abut the world. Canadians are very homely and welcoming and are generally more relaxed about things...

However, none of that changes the hypocrisy of continuing to use resources, while complaining when the source of those resources is in your territory.

Like I've said, I hate the entire corporate model. I despise corporations and think they shouldn't exist. But I don't let that hatred manipulate the facts about a corporation. BP is not British. The American government allowed the spill to happen as much as the workers, companies and BP itself. All corporations of that size operate in the same market and use the same dodgy tactics and cost limitations. What, you think BP is the only large Oil company doing things badly? Of course not. Your American, Russian, African and European owned counterparts are doing exactly the same, you just don't hear about it because they haven't messed up. Yet.

One thing that often angers me is that so many Americans are angry about the destruction caused in the Gulf. But where are those angry voices when it comes to Coca Cola poisoning villages in India?
There are plenty of examples like that. But as long as Americans are not affected by it, it's fine for an American brand to act in that way.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
come on man wake up. the reason your here on this site is because the system doesnt work. you know it i know they know it. but we pretend to play this game and dance around the fact that we have no freedom and our choices are limited to only what they allow us to do. this is just another nail in the coffin of democracy. god help us all.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SNAFU38
This is info from a press conference currently happening so there is no link, you would have to be watching ABC news live to see it, for now.

Our foolish Govt has just announced BP has been given permission to start offshore exploration, with a view to drill in 2013, in several places including the Great Australian Bite (southern Australia).

When asked about the Deep Water disaster, the minister brushed it off, foolishly thinking we will do any better than the US Govt.

So here we go again, a criminal FOREIGN company has been given the rights to exploit OUR resources, a company we know couldn't give a F#*% about the environment, especially if its not their own land.

No doubt this will hit the websites soon, but the conference is only just finishing up. I cant believe how stupid & irresponsible this government is. If you are going to make such a dangerous decision at least give the rights to an Austrlian company you traiterous fools !!!!!

I'll never understand big oil companies. Greed is the only word I can come with. Here in America, we have two of the biggest oil reserves in the world, virtually untapped. We literally have no need to import any middle-eastern oil, but we don't follow this path. Another thing I do not understand. Everyone knows their are technologies in place to oust natural resources and quit raping the planet. Everyone knows that we have to put long term plans in place to economically make the switch from oil to whatever. Unsafe battery cells are not the answer. Look up Denny Klien, he has the beginning of a great thing, also has his own line of care coming out. Still combustible, but runs on water. ( converting water into hydrogen etc .. )

I am sorry Australia is now falling victim to BP. Good luck with that. I know the US gov is taking action to make BP pay for everything our tax dollars were used for; for clean up. What puzzles me though, is the fact that companies have been drilling in deep waters for years, and your telling me they had NO contingency plan in place for equipment failure ? Or any type backup plan, or any plan for a clean up if things went south.

When will it change ?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

Free energy is already here. That is not profitable for TPTB.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

Think about it though. As long as they can drill they will put off alternative energy development so people will be relying on the oil they are destroying the earth to get at because they are having to go through more extreme measures to get at what is left. So prices will go up and it just keeps us behind.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Im not stupid enough to think that we can survive without producing some oil, its needed to make so many hundreds, thousands of things like plastics, but I am opposed to deep ocean drilling, or drilling anywhere near environmentally sensitive areas.

There are alternative options for electricity & petrols, good ones. As many have pointed out though, wheres the money for the Bush's etc in that ?

Until we can do offshore drilling safely, we should stick with inland oil where we can contain any spills, & use it for things other than energy. If this proposed oil field in the Aussy Bite had a disaster, it could easily turn the south pole black & white, nobody wants to see that.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

reply to post by SNAFU38

Yes, your'e right, that's why we currently have peacekeeping troops around the world, in Afghanistan and had troops in both Gulf wars, the Vietnam war, the Malayan Emergency, World War II in Europe, World War 1 and the Boer War in the 19th century.

Because those places are in our neck of the woods.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join