Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Australian Govt Makes Disasterous Decision

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I hate all corporation with a passion, but there are several things that I feel need to be said here...

BP lobbied to make certain safety requirements null and void. But it was the responsibility of the US government to take that action. You can lobby all you like for whatever you want, but the person who signs off on that is the one responsible. BP is not responsible for running your country, your government is. If they allowed that to pass, they are the ones to blame.

"Largest Shareholder" does not mean they own more of the business than others. It means they have a larger individual share than the others. The company is still owned by a vast array of shareholders.

Those who are up in arms about BP and other companies need to see where their investments are. It's not good enough that you have a vague idea that you have invested in a portfolio of options. BP is a huge corporation, and there is every chance that if you have any money invested, some of it is in BP.

If you fill your car with fuel to go to the shops a ten minute walk away, you are responsible. If you buy crap from China, you are responsible. If you leave your porch light on and it isn't powered by solar energy, you are responsible...
People find it really easy to preach from a soapbox without feeling that they are somehow involved.

It's the same with corporate food and agriculture. So many scream about health and everything else, and they STILL shop at the same massive chains.

You know, I love Australia, and no offense intended to the OP, but people are all too happy to have electricity 24 hours a day, street lights everywhere, fuel to drive a few minutes away, and then start crying about it when a power plant goes up in their back yard. Your current fuel comes from where? It's still drilled. So it's fine for you if your petrol or diesel comes from an offshore platform somewhere else, but not if it comes from your region?

Like I say, people know me as a lefty, I'm anti-corporate and anti-globalization. But I'm just being devils advocate here and feel I have to point out these things. Everyone is quick to stick the boot in about things like this, while continuing to contribute to the problem and offering no real solutions themselves.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by SNAFU38

Don't think BP are the only ones to create spills.

Most spills occur without the general public being aware at all.

If you are to condemn BP, you must condemn all offshore drilling operators.

I do.

I think it should all stop.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is horrific news! My big question is:'Why is BP still in business?'

Where are the criminal cases and prosecutions from the Gulf disaster? Surreal....

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
This is bad news.
I am very tired of our corrupt and ineffective government. I hope change comes before things get further out of hand, but at this rate I'm not holding my breath

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
company we know couldn't give a F#*% about the environment .I'm sorry but i disagree there the gulf was a disaster remembering there were other contractors in on the mess

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadStarState
Doesn't really matter what the people think or want, man.

Money talks. And its every government's favorite conversation.

Let's get rid of money. Then we will do the right things - not the cheapest or most profittable. All we need is the free energy tech.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Money talks volumes (in this case literally volumes, i.e., of oil)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This makes me so angry and frustrated! Not only because of the harm is could potentially cause, but because there is the technology out there to get the world off it's oil dependence!

RELEASE THE FREE ENERGY!

Just shows you who's really running things...Oil corps and banksters!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Don't worry about it, the great whites will get their diving teams.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SurReality
This makes me so angry and frustrated! Not only because of the harm is could potentially cause, but because there is the technology out there to get the world off it's oil dependence!

RELEASE THE FREE ENERGY!

Just shows you who's really running things...Oil corps and banksters!

Just $$$$.

It's amazing, how irresponsible people can be.

They must know something we don't...in regards to the future. Otherwise, why would they mess our home up, soooooo much.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
repIy to post by NeoSpace

You sound like you own some stock in BP. Here in the states, its looking more like no one will ever be brought up on charges, no matter how much evidence is brought up pointing to BP being negligent.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Hmmm, we have just had massive floods in Queensland / Australia. We need massive amounts of money to rebuild. Those floods were causes by interesting weather events.

Now we let BP mine our oil probably because we need the money badly.

And we have a British flood group helping with our recovery in Queensland.

Looks like we had not other option. I don't think we have the money to rebuild our 10-15 towns /cities put under water. Does anyone know how many roads got fkt, lots. Money doesn't grow on trees, our coal industry is at a standstill, and thats all we got...coal.

So yes this sucks, but I dont think we have a choice because of how badly we have played our hand in the past.

I think we deserve it. The rest of the world is economic collapse, and our $ was higher than the yanks. Well now we're screwed. Looks like our mentality has to change from, she'll be right just drink some beer to , holy # we need to do some work.

I am slowly looking to god these days as it is the only way to make sense of these mad crazy dark times.

We are fkt until someone hits reboot and lets us start again. New operting system time, lets upgrade. We all know an upgrade works best after a clean format. Sad Sad Sad, I hope there is another way....thus I look to the god.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

I understand your frustration, but I couldn't let this go without clearing something up. First of all, your government would have NEVER agreed to it unless they stood to gain something substantial in return. I don't know what that is, do you? Or either, you have government officials who are part owners of either BP....OR Exxon Mobil (more on that in a minute). The breakdown of BP ownership is here:

BP Ownership Statistics

39% is American Owned. 40% is UK owned. The remaining is split up by ownership being located in other places of Europe, around the world, and "Misc.". Now, I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but wouldn't "around the world" cover everything else? What's the "Misc." about? Oh well, I'm not an oil investor, so it's probably nothing, and I'm getting off track anyway. The bottom line is, your country or your government made a deal and their palms will be greased in some way, rest assured. To assume that the Americans "botched" up the gulf is unfair. "We" didn't mess it up, THEY did, and there is evidence that BP didn't either, since the platform wasn't owned by them. Up until now, nobody has ever had to plug a hole like that up before, so it's easy to point fingers at the pioneers who have been engineering geniuses. If it's any consolation, I'm of the opinion that BP was sabotaged to set them up for a forced sale and takeover.

Something I have never brought to the BP discussions before was that I recall BP being a pioneer in alternate energies, cleaner fuels, and responsible conservation practices. They were the ONLY ones doing it, and they were proud of it! BP has ALWAYS been the gas station of our choice, for many, many years. They were showing commercials constantly for at least a year prior to the incident in the gulf, which outlined all their goals and current accomplishments in "leading the field" and "raising the bar" of responsible eco-friendly practices, in regards to their big oil counterparts. This is why the gulf incident really shocked me. I see corporate sabotage all over this, with Exxon Mobil most likely being involved somehow, with the Rockefeller family at the helm. Funny how they are now poised to take over BP:

Exxon Mobil ready for BP Takeover

All I'm saying is, it's OK to be upset, but look at where I'm pointing....don't look at my finger. BP isn't the bad guy here, they just carry the name now. They WERE the good guys, but it's a shame most of the world will never know that.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Oh man, BP is one of the worst criminal organizations in the world.

You can thank Bush for giving BP much of their power and influence throughout the world because as a favor for supporting the even bigger criminal activities of the War On Terror, Bush gave Blair the right to buy and transform all Amoco's in the USA and convert them to BP as a "thank you" for their support in the War on Terror. I can't even get into what BP was allowed to do worldwide since 911.

So many evil things were born out of 911.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

That's why we wont have free energy,or a better way to run things.
Different ways to power things have been created in the past,only to be bought out by the oil companies,just so the ideas arent used.

It's almost like the oil industry is the work of the devil,because wars are fought over it,and it keeps you all running in circles,even though their are cheaper,easier,less harmful-ways to power it all,it's for some reason forced on us to use oil.

Last one,i have a huge oil dig area by my house,and if you google earth the area.
You will find that there are less trees in the oil drilled area and the ones that are there are not as healthy.
So,do you ever ask the question "why is oil in the ground in the first place?". Just maybe it's like a blood flowing through the veins of the planet,everything is where it's at for a reason.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
no trees down there to climb in and refuse to come down from, no trees to chain ourselves to. no guns to bring on a war. just "she'll be right mate" its getting a bit much for me down under. we need to save this place.
"Its the vibe, its justice, its marbo, its the constituion and its, its just the vibe."

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SNAFU38
This is info from a press conference currently happening so there is no link, you would have to be watching ABC

No doubt this will hit the websites soon, but the conference is only just finishing up. I cant believe how stupid & irresponsible this government is. If you are going to make such a dangerous decision at least give the rights to an Austrlian company you traiterous fools !!!!!

Hi there

It may not be available yet, but when the Environmental Impact Statement shows up for this project can you have a read and comment back?

Also, for projects like this there is sometimes a community consultation phase where risks and hazards are discussed.

It is a bit unfair to throw the mud at said company without insight into the details for the project. For example, this company could have developed considerable insight into the engineering design from recent failed projects of the past. Perhaps far beyond that of any other company that may bid for this project. All of this in-house proprietry knowledge not shared with competitors, and rightfully so, it is intellectual property key to the reliability of their product.

Consider the Qantas airbus a380 incident with the rolls royce engines, their public image took a huge battering. But if you take the glass half full view in life you could say they benefited from this immeasurably in that no lives were lost and the one and only potentially fatal defect in the design was discovered in the field. From this point forward the R1000 and newer models will not have this defect and the company will enjoy an industry leading safety record, one the envy of all other engine makes i.e. GE, Pratt and Whitney etc.
edit on 18-1-2011 by pezza because: add one sentance

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

reply to post by DeadStarState

Unfortunately thats all too true.

This Govt has the worst financial record of them all, & this is just another depserate attempt by them to try make up some of the tens of billions they have already wasted. Their motto is "spend spend spend, what do you mean think first ?"

Yes, sprendthrifting Australia into oblivion.

Every day they spend results in a line of $5 bills from Melbourne to Brisbane in a straight line!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

reply to post by DeadStarState

Unfortunately thats all too true.

This Govt has the worst financial record of them all, & this is just another depserate attempt by them to try make up some of the tens of billions they have already wasted. Their motto is "spend spend spend, what do you mean think first ?"

Thank God they did spend else you and I and millions of others would be out of work right now.
We'd be joining all those other basket case countries in Europe.
The previous government sat on their hands and did nothing, spent zero on infrastructure and if they were still in power when the GFC hit we'd be joining the unemployed.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
It doe$n't really matter which party i$ in power right now $o you can't blame it on the current government.

If it wa$ the con$ervative$ in power thi$ would have been green lighted 2 year$ ago.

Thi$ type of $cenario always get$ green lighted.

Where'$ Peter Garrett during thi$ announcement?

Edit to add: For non-Australians Peter Garrett was the lead singer of Midnight Oil for 25 years (a staunch anti-political and pro-environmental green rock band who joined the biggest political party a few years ago and was/is the minister for the environment.....and has been noticably out of sight for the last 12 months)
edit on 18/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join