It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Govt Makes Disasterous Decision

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Here is the article

Four offshore exploration permits granted for SA
Posted 1 hour 10 minutes ago

BP has been given four permits for petroleum exploration in the basin of the Great Australian Bight, off the South Australian coast.

Resources Minister Martin Ferguson says a total of seven permits will generate $682 million of investment.

Woodside Energy has been given a permit to explore in the Carnarvon Basin off the coast of Western Australia.

Permits for the same region have been awarded to Riverine Energy and Finder Number 4

Source: www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Yes, BP has also been given permission to drill in the Russian arctic as well.

Do these countries never learn?

BP actively lobbied the US Government so that the blowout preventers that would have stopped the Gulf of Mexico disaster were not a requirement in the USA.

And this is a company that the Russians and Australians seem to think is okay to do business with?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

I still am and will forever boycott BP. I've never been so against a company in my life. I'm in the States, but I'm sorry they're bringing their destruction to Australia.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

No, they only own 5% of the company.

Anyhoo, I know it's fashionable to blame BP for everything now, but bear in mind it was American mangers, American workers and several American companies operating that rig in the Gulf of Mexico on behalf of BP. They may be legally liable, but are not to blame entirely.

But, that would involve using your brain and being rational, rather than some silly sod who hnates on BP just because.

You honestly think a russian, American, French, Dutch or even Australian Oil company would be any better? They're all the same...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Since the Gulf Of Mexico spill i refuse to fill up at any BP outlet but most people just dont give a #.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by SNAFU38

I still am and will forever boycott BP. I've never been so against a company in my life. I'm in the States, but I'm sorry they're bringing their destruction to Australia.

I was stunned at what this ignorant company did to the USA, absolutely disgusted.

I am even more stunned, after probably seeing more of the damage than I have, that our government is so stupid to allow the same company do the same to us. We can see from the way they are acting even now that they will not care less about what they might do to us, they still dont care about what they did to the US.

History proves that entire nation has no concern for any other civilisation, their actions dont surprise me at all. For the life of me I also cant understand why any govt. Australia's or the USA, would put another nations profits above the companies of their own nation. What is up with that ?? Dont tell me its money, our companies (I know, also guilty of exploiting other nations resources) can afford it, so can our government. Oh no, they wasted all our money.

We do have some hope though, PLEASE USA, bankrupt this company in the courts before they can even start down here, please !! The smartest thing the USA did was fight to be free from this nation & become its own, one of the dumbest was to allow their companies back in to rape, pillage & destroy what they fought so hard to get.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

Australia (govt) looks at the USA and UK, where Oil revenue makes up 24-30% of the entire state revenue. In America, 26% of our total revenue for the past 50 years has been oil royalties and taxes. Its the second largest source of income after income taxes.

Australia wants this.

So what if there will eventually be an oil disaster (there have been more than one in the Gulf of Mexico) .. at least the Govt will get their royalty checks, and the UK govt will get a healthy tax boost.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
BP did take care of the mess in the Gulf. I saw the commercials on TV. You have nothing to worry about.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
So the rich will get even richer and the middle class can all rot, All at the expense of milking Australia of more of our natural resources. For those who are reading and thinking that our fuel prices will drop because of this......Think again, Our Dollar is the highest it's been in years and the price of crude oil is in the $90 region ( a lot less than we payed in the past )...Yet for some unexplained reason we are paying damn near record prices for fuel....Sounds like somebody is laughing at all us middle class

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoSpace
Im for more exploration and drilling

Go wring it out of the gulf. Go scrape it off the dead pelicans. Obviously you must run a gas station.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
i cant believe it! i have been boycotting bp since the gom disaster and urge everyone to drive right on by these criminals and to start spreading some awareness in their circles!....damn i cant believe it!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I'm just kind of shocked that this happened whilst the news is full of evidence that the Earth is p****d off.

On a side note, Qlds floods are a great threat to the great barrier reef, which obv. is not good at all. The rockhampton floods hurt it pretty bad, and now all that toxic sludge is going to go to the coral.. and I dont know much about siltration, but I know its a layer of silt that blocks the coral and causes it to die.

How someone thinks its a great idea to do this right now is beyond me.Hey, so the top half of our country is environmentally screwed right now, why dont we take a risk with the bottom half......

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
In case you don't know, there it a good chance there has already been exploration drilling along the Great Barrier Reef in the past, I did hear new reports about it but was unable to find any further information at the time. There is also currently gas exploration going on off the QLD coast near Gladstone. Apparently huge gas fields similar to the west coast, not sure how it is progressing and who exactly is involved, heard about it about 6 months ago.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
In case you don't know, there it a good chance there has already been exploration drilling along the Great Barrier Reef in the past, I did hear new reports about it but was unable to find any further information at the time. There is also currently gas exploration going on off the QLD coast near Gladstone. Apparently huge gas fields similar to the west coast, not sure how it is progressing and who exactly is involved, heard about it about 6 months ago.

Why am I not surprised ??

Knowing this goverments logic, they will turn around & say all the flood runoff has already dirtied the reef so what difference will a few leaky well heads make. If mother nature can make it dirty, why cant we !

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

edit on 17/1/11 by B.Morrison because: changed my mind...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
SMH Gladstone gas plant given the green light
January 14, 2011

THE Queensland Premier, Anna Bligh, had some rare good news with the approval of a $16 billion liquid gas plant for flood-stricken northern Queensland.

But the Gladstone Liquid Natural Gas project will struggle to secure labour as the floods put more pressure on an already undersupplied jobs market.

The project was greeted with enthusiasm by the federal Resources Minister, Martin Ferguson, when it passed final approval by its owners yesterday.

It is a joint venture between Santos, which owns 30 per cent, and three of the world's biggest liquid gas companies, Petronas, Total and Kogas. It is expected to make Australia the second biggest exporter of liquid gas by 2015-16.

''This is a huge win for Australia,'' Mr Ferguson said. ''It is also a significant statement … following the turmoil of last year with respect to changes in potential tax regimes, that Australia is open for business.''

Mr Ferguson admitted that finding workers for the plant - which will require 1500 staff in the first half of this year and 5000 jobs during construction, eventually resulting in 1000 permanent jobs - would not be easy.

''We have a challenge at the moment in terms of potential shortages of labour in Australia and I suppose potential impacts on wages,'' he said in Canberra. ''We are aware of those matters and I suppose the difficulties of Queensland at the moment only add to those challenges.''

He ruled out a change to the skilled migration intake, instead saying existing programs such as 457 visas would meet Australia's skilled migration requirements.

The project will develop coal seam gas fields in central Queensland over three decades and a 420-kilometre pipeline linking the fields to a processing plant north of Gladstone.

''Proceeding now with projects like this will be a tremendous boost to the Queensland economy as we recover from the devastating impact of the floods,'' Ms Bligh said.

The approval proved a boon for the main project partner, Australian oil and gas exploration company Santos. Its shares rose 2½ per cent following the announcement.

The project is not without its detractors. Environmentalists and farmers have expressed concern that the piping and plant, which are perched near the mouth of the Calliope River, may contaminate groundwater.

It is the third such project which has been approved by the Bligh government.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Planet teleX

Next it will be the Great Barrier Reef.

Dont worry the floods will do serious damage to that
but it will recover. most critters love the nitro
and other critters love the critters that survive on nitro, take a while thou

Wal

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

This is BP we're talking about.

I don't trust them anywhere near a drill ever again.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

Don't think BP are the only ones to create spills.

Most spills occur without the general public being aware at all.

If you are to condemn BP, you must condemn all offshore drilling operators.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

There is plenty of evidence that BP forced the American workers to take the shortcuts that led to the disaster. I don't think the Americans are pushovers. What makes you think Australians would be any better at resisting pressure from the same bosses?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join