It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Converting to Neo-Paganism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
So my claim to fame as far as religion goes right now is straight Agnosticism. I know that Paganism is an umbrella term for a lot of different religions, but the idea as a whole intrigues me. Anybody have any good ideas on where I could start as far as choosing a specific path and such?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Search for Wicca. The Moirian tradition. Nature-spirituality.
Or read 'War in Heaven' by Kyle Griffith - the magnum opus now online by one of the founders of neo-paganism - who progressed far beyond. Or both. Draw a circle with a kitchen knife - widdershins then deosil - and ask the helpful spirits to reveal themselves. ALHIM GIBBUR

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Hi there,

I studied the resurgence of Paganism a little in a subject that I was undertaking at uni not long ago. Indeed, Neopaganism, or contemporary Paganism, is an umbrella term used to define the renewal of a number of 'old traditions', including (among others) Wicca - which is the largest sub-denomination of Neopaganism, Neo-Druidism and Germanic Paganism, which further branches out into Ásatrú, Forn Siðr, Heathenry, Odinism and Theodism. If you are serious about converting I would put a lot of thought into your decision; research the various branches of Neopaganism and take notice of which one/s you gravitate toward.

Here is one PFD that I found about the subject which may offer you some more insight:

Neopaganism-Part 1

I find Paganism an interesting concept as well. I am somewhat of an animist, although I wouldn't brand myself as anything in particular. Also, I know people poo-poo it, but Wikipedia is a great starting point for general information. Just be wary of what sources are actually included and where the information is derived from and all should be fine. Whilst researching for my major essay on Wicca and Neopaganism, I found so much fantastic material on Wikipedia.

Worthy reads:
Magical Religion and Modern Witchcraft by James R. Lewis
Google Books Link

The triumph of the moon: a history of modern pagan witchcraft by Ronald Hutton
Google Books Link

A history of pagan Europe by Prudence Jones and Nigel Pennick
Google Books Link

Good luck

join