It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raptor Reconnaissance Pictures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Here are links to 3 Reconnaissance picture I found taken by the Raptor Pod

RAPTOR

Used by:
Tornado GR4

* State of the art Electro-Optical and Infra-Red pod
* Real-time imaging to ground stations via data-link

Built by the American BF Goodrich Company and fitted to the Tornado GR4 aircraft, RAPTOR (Reconnaissance Airborne Pod TORnado) is an externally mounted Electro-Optical and Infra-Red pod with the ability to display images in the cockpit and to transmit these images via a Data-Link to a ground station. Imagery is also recorded in the aircraft for post-flight analysis.

The RAPTOR system is capable of imaging pre-planned targets, or �target of opportunity� points of interest, and can image over 200 separate points in one sortie. The stand-off range of the sensor allows the points of interest to be imaged whilst the aircraft remains outside the area of highest threat. The RAPTOR pod is similar in size to a Tornado underwing fuel tank.

The system has been in use since autumn 2002 and is made its operational debut (despite not being fully cleared for service) during Operation Iraqi Freedom in early 2003 where it performed extremely well. A total of 8 RAPTOR pods will be used by the RAF.

• First Picture -- This picture of The Severn Bridge was taken from an altitude of 24,000ft (7,312m) and a distance of 58 miles (93km).

• Second Picture -- Detail view of the Severn Bridge taken from the previous image

• Third Picture -- Detail from an infra-red composite image of London Gatwick airport. Altitude - 19,000ft (5,790m) and 26 miles (42km)

Source : RAF

I think the detail on these pictures is incredible when you think about how far away the places were.

• posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 10:50 AM
    link   
    Kool pics yeah its impressive but the pods on the black bird can film 100.000sqf don't know how long it takes it to do that but the resolution on its pics is so good and clear you can read the license plate off a car

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:47 AM
    link   
    Those pics are very cool. The only problem with the SR-71/U2 pics are the really high resolution ones are mostly classified so we can see them anyway

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:29 PM
    link   
    If you search the images on the RAF site there are some really cool pics of stuff like the Red Arrows flying with an F-117 and RAF Merlins over New York, all excellent quality and a little different from the norm. Just click on 'images'

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:33 PM
    link   

Originally posted by waynos
    If you search the images on the RAF site there are some really cool pics of stuff like the Red Arrows flying with an F-117 and RAF Merlins over New York, all excellent quality and a little different from the norm. Just click on 'images'

It is a great site. They must have some great photographers.

I like this picture

E_T

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:57 PM
    link   
    "Little" stuff about IMINT and intelligence collection systems in general.

www.fas.org...

www.globalsecurity.org...

Seems that trend is toward UAVs in these.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:44 PM
    link   

It is a great site. They must have some great photographers.

I like this picture

I've always wondered why the insignia for 29 Sqn is the roman numeral for 30????

top topics

join