It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rock star hopes his music is blasted at Bush officials in jail

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
His father was the first Kenyan Ambassador the the U.S. His uncle Jomo Kenyatta was the first elected president of Kenya. Tom graduated from Harvard with a Bachelor of arts degree in Political Science. So unless your neighbors are Harvard grads then I would LISTEN to what he has to say.

en.wikipedia.org...

So anyone who went to Harvard is better educated then myself or my neighbor?
That is the problem. Just because someone has a piece of paper from one of the elite American Universities does not make them smart. It means that they were able to go through the courses of study and pay tuition.
The Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence were designed so that anyone can understand it. It does not require high learning.
The application of higher learning is just to be conditioned by those in charge, and to maybe help in the progressive application of case law implementation.

Never think that your politician, musician, actor, lawyer is right, just because of who they are.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

His father was the first Kenyan Ambassador the the U.S. His uncle Jomo Kenyatta was the first elected president of Kenya. Tom graduated from Harvard with a Bachelor of arts degree in Political Science. So unless your neighbors are Harvard grads then I would LISTEN to what he has to say.

en.wikipedia.org...

That is the problem. Just because someone has a piece of paper from one of the elite American Universities does not make them smart. It means that they were able to go through the courses of study and pay tuition.
The Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence were designed so that anyone can understand it. It does not require high learning.
The application of higher learning is just to be conditioned by those in charge, and to maybe help in the progressive application of case law implementation.

Never think that your politician, musician, actor, lawyer is right, just because of who they are.

Yes they are. Duh? Read your first line. He's better in the field of POLITICAL SCIENCE than you or your neighbors. All I'm saying is that his argument is backed by knowledge. Who do you think people would listen to, You or a Harvard grad? They will take what someone who has put in countless hours studying his field over an average guy with a little knowledge.

Last I checked, politicians, musicians, actors, lawyers are all human beings. Just because they have a title does not mean their opinions are invalid. If the message is true, then the message is true.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes they are. Duh? Read your first line. He's better in the field of POLITICAL SCIENCE than you or your neighbors. All I'm saying is that his argument is backed by knowledge. Who do you think people would listen to, You or a Harvard grad? They will take what someone who has put in countless hours studying his field over an average guy with a little knowledge.

Last I checked, politicians, musicians, actors, lawyers are all human beings. Just because they have a title does not mean their opinions are invalid. If the message is true, then the message is true.

Your last paragraph contradicts the first. Again, who says that I have not spent years at the library (Public/Private/Govt) studying these same topics? That is an assumption on your part.
His argument is backed by the courses of study provided by Harvard. Knowledge is the application of things learned, not just learning them.
He is a musician, not Ben Franklin. He is not, nor has he been deemed the "Smartest Man" in the topic of politics.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

No, the last paragraph does not contradict the first. A degree at any University implies that one is more educated than one who has no degree. Hence the key word "educated". He wasn't a musician when he was in Harvard. He became one later in life. So that point has no merit. Would you say you or your neighbors are smarter than Albert Einstein? He was a celebrity during his life. Does that mean we should take what he says with a grain of salt? Help me out here, I'm trying to figure out what the hell your point is? Do you even have one?

edit: and whoever said he was the "Smartest Man in Politics"?......
edit on 1/17/2011 by CastleMadeOfSand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Is this how RATM resorts to trying to make themselves relevant these days? How did anybody take these jokers seriously even when they were relevant?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

No, the last paragraph does not contradict the first. A degree at any University implies that one is more educated than one who has no degree. Hence the key word "educated". He wasn't a musician when he was in Harvard. He became one later in life. So that point has no merit. Would you say you or your neighbors are smarter than Albert Einstein? He was a celebrity during his life. Does that mean we should take what he says with a grain of salt? Help me out here, I'm trying to figure out what the hell your point is? Do you even have one?

edit: and whoever said he was the "Smartest Man in Politics"?......
edit on 1/17/2011 by CastleMadeOfSand because: (no reason given)

Ah, Albert Einstein was not the Harvard Educated type. He was a born genius. He gained celebrity status not because he played in a band, but because he applied his knowledge within a field.

Yes, my point is very simple. Just because he went to Harvard, completed the Political Science course, does not make him an expert int he field and any smarter then anyone else who reads and studies.
He has a document stating he completed the course. I know a lot of smart dumb people, that have degrees and such. Big deal.
Still can't shake the fact that he is just shilling for his music. Nothing like some free publicity for people that hold him on high.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Yeah apparently millions did and still do.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Amazing how few people continue to fail to identify the hypocrisy in nearly everything they ever do.

edit on 17-1-2011 by traditionaldrummer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Amazing how few people continue to fail to identify the hypocrisy in nearly everything they ever do.

care to elaborate? or are you just mad that your band never made it out of the garage? nearly everything they ever do???? troll on little drummer boy.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

care to elaborate?

Nah, maybe you can try to figure it out on your own. Perhaps if you can learn to communicate like a mature individual we can discuss it.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

identify the hypocrisy in nearly everything they do. who is they? Us or RATM? Cause if you implied that "we" fail to see it in what we do then my reply is just. If it was aimed at RATM then my apologies.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
People in this thread are ridiculous. I don't even like RATM but I know Tom Morello knows what is what.

If you're going to discredit him because he's a musician, I'm going to discredit your neighbors because they are neighbors. See how that works? Celebrity or not, he is a HUMAN with an OPINION, just like everyone else. He also happens to be more politically educated than most of the population, politicians included. Seems like some of you are just holding a grudge. Well get over it.

Honestly I wish the members here talking crap could have a debate with the man and see who comes out on top.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by havenvideo
Celebrity or not, he is a HUMAN with an OPINION, just like everyone else.

And what happens when his opinion sucks? For example, it's unacceptable to torture people with music when it's done by an administration you dislike. However, it's okay to torture people with music when you get those same people in a jail. This kind of hypocrisy is pervasive with RATM.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

For example, it's unacceptable to torture people with music when it's done by an administration you dislike. However, it's okay to torture people with music when you get those same people in a jail. This kind of hypocrisy is pervasive with RATM.

You have a quote to back up this statement that he said it was wrong for an administration to use music as torture?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

For example, it's unacceptable to torture people with music when it's done by an administration you dislike. However, it's okay to torture people with music when you get those same people in a jail. This kind of hypocrisy is pervasive with RATM.

You have a quote to back up this statement that he said it was wrong for an administration to use music as torture?

In the article in the OP it refers to the lawsuit RATM had against the government for using its music as torture.

All we really need to know is that he wants to torture his perceived enemies. That makes him an insidious and crappy human being as well as a hypocrite.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
I can certainly understand why he would be offended when they are using his music to violate
principles that he values. That is messed up. But I also believe he is every bit a part of the problem.
He is making his fortune off of the very machine he is raging against. Not only that, but his music
is low frequency..low vibration.(anything that has a heavy overtone of anger is going to be without question).
It might rev you up and get you going, but where will it lead you? Sound is incredibly important and it
affects us in a multitude of ways. Rage Against the Machine may not not agree with our government but
they're contribution is questionable as well. After all, what does that say about your music when someone
uses it to torture another human being?
edit on 16-1-2011 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

Orbitbaby...I think that was just perfectly said. It was the very thing that I was thinking. I mean, to the tee, actually. I would be very upset if my music was being used as a torture technique (I am a musician, by the way, I'd be honored it you checked out my first thread after reading your insight...I'll post it below). However, I would also be forced to look in the mirror and ask, "Wow...why is my music tortuous to others?"

I don't want to repeat what you just said, so I guess I'll just stop, but you are just right on the money! Just perfectly elaborated. Thanks...

THE MESSENGER
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

People in this thread are ridiculous. I don't even like RATM but I know Tom Morello knows what is what.

If you're going to discredit him because he's a musician, I'm going to discredit your neighbors because they are neighbors. See how that works? Celebrity or not, he is a HUMAN with an OPINION, just like everyone else. He also happens to be more politically educated than most of the population, politicians included. Seems like some of you are just holding a grudge. Well get over it.

Honestly I wish the members here talking crap could have a debate with the man and see who comes out on top.

Ok, your right. Wow, you really turned the tide on my argument.
I really don't care about this opinion. my point is that just because he has a Harvard Degree, does not make him any smarter then you are I. All that means is that he successfully completed the courses.
If he was truly gifted in Politics then he would be in Politics. Not some musician being interviewed about a lawsuit against the govt for using one of his songs.
Still, great publicity for him and his band.
Again, the great thing about the founding documents, was they were created for the common man to read and understand.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Hmmm. Former President George W. Bush is also a Harvard graduate, holding a Masters in Business Administration from Harvard Business School. Guess you'd better definitely LISTEN to him also, right?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Putz.

I really don't think that those in the music world have any business telling the general population about the right or wrong doings on govt officials or the govt in general.
Just because they have a platform to do so, does not make them any more right or wrong. Same goes for Hollywood types as well.

I donno...they didn't mind blasting Noriega with Van Halen, if I recall. Nothing says an artist can't offer their own contributions where they see fit.

And RATM is a pretty aware outfit...rather the kids listen to them than Lady Gaga.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Putz.

I really don't think that those in the music world have any business telling the general population about the right or wrong doings on govt officials or the govt in general.
Just because they have a platform to do so, does not make them any more right or wrong. Same goes for Hollywood types as well.

I donno...they didn't mind blasting Noriega with Van Halen, if I recall. Nothing says an artist can't offer their own contributions where they see fit.

And RATM is a pretty aware outfit...rather the kids listen to them than Lady Gaga.

Ok, you got me there. Lady GAGA, all I have to say is why?

I have no problem with people offering opinions and so on. Especially if their product is being used. But his degree does not make him the smartest person in the room.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join