It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Oh, I don't focus on negative things like that." What? Blissful ignorance while everyone else

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
"Oh, I don't focus on negative things like that." What? Blissful ignorance while everyone else has to deal with it?

There is a new trend when it comes to being informed, and it's a total cop-out. Any time you are asked about the news or current events, simply state that you don't focus on negative things. It works every time! They will even feel guilty for being a pessimist, and change the subject. At least this is the tactic a lot of my friends and co-workers have been using lately. If I ask for an opinion or attempt to discuss something controversial, they’ll humor me. However, the second they realize how screwed up the implications of what I’m saying are, they throw out this argument.

No, you don't have to watch graphic videos to know what is going on or even consider whats happening in other countries. You do need to have a general idea of what's going on, and this doesn't mean you are "focusing on the negatives." In order for our society to work properly and fix itself, we need to be informed, have opinions, make decisions like voting, and turn off the TV!

So I challenge you to counter this notion, and tell your friends they are not allowed to just run and hide in their blissful cloud of ignorance, at least not while YOU are around them.

edit on 16-1-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Hey v1rt!

Your OP brings up a difficult part of being human - especially a human who spends time on a site like ATS (And yes, people, I am human, contrary to the vicious rumors that I am a variant of chatbot!). It is very, very easy, here, to get so wrapped up in the negative that one actually loses the ability to even see the positives.

I think most of us who've been around for a minute or two has witnessed an ATS meltdown. They are never pretty and they mostly end with the posting of those "SCREW YOU ATS" threads that we all kind of cringe at, then laugh at, then ignore. These meltdowns are often the end result of people who get caught up in the negativity, drink all the Kool Aid they can find, and then overflow with paranoia.

My person thoughts are that we, as a community, can add enough positivity to our little chunk of the web, to offset much of the negative. After all, it can't all be about 2012, the apocalypse, zombies, the NSA, and terrorists with suitcase bombs.

Ignorance is bliss, and I do sometimes envy the ignorant. But being able to moderate ones intake of extreme theory is also a blessing.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
They are wrong.

By focusing on the "negative" events, we can get rid of some of them and make them stop. This means we are POSITIVE.

By ignoring the "negative" events, you allow them to increase and keep going on. You must like them. Therefore NEGATIVE.

Good Example : Your House is on fire at night.
By becoming aware of the Fire, you can either put it out, or escape.
By ignoring the Fire, you burn and die.

Simple straight forward logic.

But be careful, if you push truth they will get ANGRY at you for daring to destroy their little fake illusions of a perfect world. They just don't wanna think about it. They don't like thinking. They are slaves.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Thanks for the post heff!

My point isn't that you have to strap yourself to a bed, with your eyelids open and be forced to watch 911 documentaries until you pass out. It's way more moderate than that. It's more about just having basic knowledge about your rights, your community, and your country. And maybe having an opinion or two. You see, you have to actually know what the story is to have an opinion on it.

But I try not to let my friends get away with just blowing off something because it's too much for them to handle. They have a responsibility as a citizen.

reply to post by Hefficide

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Thanks for the post Muzzle!

Exactly, and furthermore, the news is basically 99.9% negative. How can you possibly be informed without reading up on current events, that are by nature BAD NEWS.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I've tried talking to my closest friends and family about stuff, and nearly all of them have given one of these reasons as to why they shouldn't learn.

-Too Busy
-Not going to make an impact regardless of how informed
-I know stuff's bad, but it's been like that for a long time
-Too complicated

This really bothers me and I've thought a lot about why. The problem is that when people look away from crimes like 9/11, constitutional infringement, overtaxing, deliberate dumbing down of people through our educational system, etc., IT AFFECTS ME! If someone wants to kill themselves it's their prerogative, but don't bring me down with you. That's my problem. My reaction is a negative one. Solution, perhaps become self-sustained. But without millions of bucks, I kind of only have one thought- Strap folks to a chair with their eyelids open for a couple of days of informing. While I know this unrealistic, any other thoughts are appreciated.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I used to be kinda 'new-agey' in that I wanted to be positive all the time... "it's all in your perception/perspective" I always thought... I can't really rationalize that attitude now, I don't think there was any logic behind it. I just didn't know what to make of the strange (negative) happenings in the world.

Then my husband shoved current events and conspiracies down my throat (lovingly) for a few years... and now I think knowing the truth is more positive than trying to pretend I could make the world all better (in my perception) by not seeing it for what it is.

Around here though, friends my age don't even have blissful ignorance, they have just plain ignorance. I try to tell them about things and they turn the subject to local drama... I'd feel a little better if atleast they were blissful!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Hey Virt!

To be Honest if somone focussed on ALL the negative things i think they'd go into a deppressing meltdown

That said Surely ignoring the negatives is like been Dumb to life

edit on 16/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It's called escapism. If everyone saw what that one guy saw, world would be a much different place I've absolutely no doubt about it. The problem is no one really wants to see it - everything's about minding there own business, not meddling in what does not concern em, just going their way doing there stuff not wanting to cause any trouble no sir.
edit on 16/1/2011 by SassyCat because: grammar

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My family is so ignorant of what is going on that I had to move just to find some peace outside of - I hope I have a date this weekend! Should I dye my hair blond"? Are you going to church Sunday, I hear preacher Bob is gonna speak. Man, where did you get those crazy lights for your truck. I heard Billy Jean was seeing Hank Spank and their gonna have a baby. Let's go shoppin and spend some money, my food stamps are coming in tomorrow.

So here I am in the sane world of ATS - trying not to be ignorant.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well ChatBot, while I try to not engage in any form of social interaction with a primitive artificial intelligence, I must say that you are correct in stating that ignorance seems to be bliss. I am constantly in a cynical mode of thought when performing standard tasks while I find that most others are in open acceptance and embrace the drivel given by "official" information.
edit on 16-1-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Yup, when you ignore are problem it only grows worse.
Wouldn't say it's negative when your discussing it or trying to figure out some way to solve it.

But I think sometimes you need to take a break from it all because it can make you negative about the world u live in.Ignorance is bliss and I'd say it's needed sometimes.

After all you only live once...enjoy it while you can.There will always be an abundance of world problems.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is exactly my point. And it goes back to the state of our society. We are too busy, have too many problems, and it's too much to handle...

But these are all symptoms of the problem that are making the problem too hard to understand.

You can't treat the illness if you can't first deal with the symptoms of it.

Originally posted by DaveakaRNG
I've tried talking to my closest friends and family about stuff, and nearly all of them have given one of these reasons as to why they shouldn't learn.

-Too Busy
-Not going to make an impact regardless of how informed
-I know stuff's bad, but it's been like that for a long time
-Too complicated

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
One could argue that you "woke up." You have kids to worry about, and I'm sure other problems, and these immediate needs overshadow the "enlightenment."

Unfortunately I think most people never get past their immediate needs, and wake up.

Originally posted by eMachine

Then my husband shoved current events and conspiracies down my throat (lovingly) for a few years... and now I think knowing the truth is more positive than trying to pretend I could make the world all better (in my perception) by not seeing it for what it is.

edit on 16-1-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Exactly. You're either depressed, or negoligent. The thing is, you eventually aren't as depressed once you reach a certain level of being desensitized.

Originally posted by TedHodgson

Hey Virt!

To be Honest if somone focussed on ALL the negative things i think they'd go into a deppressing meltdown

That said Surely ignoring the negatives is like been Dumb to life

edit on 16/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Well then really the easiest way of living is to be insensitve,
Which would explain why a lot of people are really

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The people who have kids and ignore hard facts are the folks that piss me off the most! I want to have kids, but not when we're dependent on TPTB for our food and water.

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
One could argue that you "woke up." You have kids to worry about, and I'm sure other problems, and these immediate needs overshadow the "enlightenment."

Unfortunately I think most people never get past their immediate needs, and wake up.

edit on 16-1-2011 by DaveakaRNG because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2011 by DaveakaRNG because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

If you can manifest your reality, you can certainly manifest a NEGATIVE reality!

That's why some people choose to not be pessimists.

It's those who only see the negative side of life that are doomed to be trapped in that cycle.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I know, it's hard to do anything without worrying about what will happen next, especially with the economy being the way it is.

Originally posted by DaveakaRNG

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I like to call this evasive tactic "pulling a Schultz"...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76ae88ae8f48.jpg[/atsimg]

"I see nothing... I hear Nothing... I know NOTHING!!!

The fact is that they truly do know nothing, thus there opinion is null and void... They are the very definition of 'Sheeple'...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join