It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: The Welcome Home to Our Soldiers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
When 23 year old military veteran Jason Gilson returned from Iraq, after being wounded in an ambush, he didn't think his worse fears would become a reality. But as he marched in a local event, wearing his medals and carrying a sign which said "Veterans for Bush," the fears he wrote in a letter before being ambushed in Iraq, did become a reality as he heard some people call him a murderer, and baby killer.

Veteran gets rude welcome on Bainbridge
"I really miss being in the states. Some of the American public have no idea how much freedom costs and who the people are that pay that awful price. I think sometimes people just see us as nameless and faceless and not really as humans. ... A good portion of us are actually scared that when we come home, for those of us who make it back, that there will be protesters waiting for us and that is scary."

Jason's mother, Tamar, says a female parade announcer locked eyes on her son who was walking behind a pro-Republican group called Women in Red, White and Blue. The group supports President Bush and the troops in the fight against terrorism.

According to Tamar, the female announcer sarcastically asked Jason: "And what exactly are you a veteran of?"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A veteran from another war, Vietnam, remembers that when he returned home also, with a cane he recieved a similar welcoming. It is a shame really, that many Americans have not learned the lessons from Vietnam and other wars. Everyone of our soldiers, who have served honorably in our military, deserve to be treated much better than this.

[edit on 10-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Glad he's back home. But im sure the people who were shouting out the things they said about him were true.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
Glad he's back home. But im sure the people who were shouting out the things they said about him were true.

Excuse me? What does that mean, "the people who were shouting out the things they said about him were true"?

Things that people say may be true. But how can a person be true?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
In the end every American is responsible for sending our troops to Iraq. That is how a democracy works. We put Bush in office and we alone can take him out if we disagree with him.

I would have felt the soldier justified to walk up to those saying this and knock the hell out of them.

Look I am against the war yes but this person put their life on the line to protect the person who said that. That is his mission and it is honorable. If the reason to go was wrong, you deal with the person that sent him.

I will happily be the one to defend the honor of a returning soldier while doing everything I can to get them all home soon and ensure they never again enter a war without clear and accurate reasoning.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This really is disgusting. It is people like that who give anti-war protestors a bad name.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Here's the bottom line, he's vet who fought , because his CIC told him to, to shout stupid slogans at him is just as wrong, as Rep calling democratic vets who will do anything to get Bush out of office, communist.This is the greatest country in the world, because we have the right to protest, Most of the vets I know who returned are not pro Bush or any politian for that matter, it apparently a miss managed mess over there, an it's our sons an daughters who are being woundd an killed.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Izzi's post helped me to realize something. It is not really the fact we chose to take saddam out of power or pre-emptivley invade a nation that bothers me and gets me so mad. It is the fact that young american men and women are dying and being wounded because of this war. That is what makes me mad, it is what makes me demand answers and want to shut idiots like these protestors down.

Be mad at the war, be mad at the administration for getting us into this, be mad at Saddam for decimating his country. Just don't take it out on over 100,000 young americans who have now seen war and death up close, sometimes right next to them. Let's instead bring them home and help them try to return to a normal life. Could any of you?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I have an opinion about the dirtbags who are so ignorant as to shout desparaging remarks at a wounded Veteran... They should immediately be sent over there to serve as Butlers and Maids for the troops who are following orders and laying their lives on the line.

This is fair treatment for those who sit comfortably in their homes and have the utter lack of brains and honor to do something like this to a brave young man or woman who honorably served their country, whether or not the reason they served is correct.

m...

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673

Humm, you probably never served in the military, and it could be safe to say none in your immediate family did not serve either. How can you be sure those things they said about him are true? Were you there to see him do this?

I was in the military and I can tell you that I never killed any babies or civilian women, and I can tell you most soldiers have not done this either. It is a shame but true there are some cases where soldiers/sailors do this.

There are even times when soldiers/sailors can't avoid killing a woman or a child. First you should know that there are women and children in the Middle East who are trained in using weapons, and use them to kill our soldiers. It is also true that sometimes because of mistakes there are civilian casualties, it is a sad truth of war.

It is very easy for someone who has never served in the military or who has not been in a conflict/war and to criticize soldiers/sailors. I really pity people who make statements like yours because you don't seem to know how it was, and how it is, that you can still have the freedom to peacefully demonstrate and think/say what you want in our country about anything.

[edit on 11-7-2004 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

join