It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Storm into the Sun predicts something Big is coming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

The sun has just experienced a storm—not of explosive flares and hot plasma, but of icy comets.

"The storm began on Dec 13th and ended on the 22nd," says Karl Battams of the Naval Research Lab in Washington, DC. "During that time, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) detected 25 comets diving into the sun. It was crazy!"

Sundiving comets—a.k.a. "sungrazers"—are nothing new. SOHO typically sees one every few days, plunging inward and disintegrating as solar heat sublimes its volatile ices. "But 25 comets in just ten days, that's unprecedented," says Battams.

"The comets were 10-meter class objects, about the size of a room or a house," notes Matthew Knight of the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. "As comets go, these are considered small."

Battams and Knight think the comet-storm of Dec. 2010 might herald a much bigger sungrazer to come, something people could see with the naked eye, perhaps even during the day. "It's just a matter of time," says Battams. "We know there are some big ones out there."

Small icy comets storm predicts obviously that something big is coming.

Read more from NASA: science.nasa.gov...

edit on 17 Jan 2011 by Hellmutt because: Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
exactly what is the point your trying to make?

2nd

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I would expect this to happen every once in a while. If a big comet broke up into smaller pieces/was impacted by another body/whatever, they would all arrive wherever they were headed (the sun in this case) at about the same time, right? Am I missing something?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
What is the "Big" thing coming and exactly how does ice comet's insinuate that?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
from what i read the smaller comets could preceed a much larger 1, 1 that could be seen in daylight headed at the sun.... so a nice display if nothing else

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
after reading the article the "big thing" is going to happen on the sun. something we might be able to see from earth with our naked eye. all just an assumption on their part. something that is possible but not really that probable.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by northwoods

Starred and flagged. When people from the NRL and Lowell observatory start talking in terms "unprecedented", I pay attention.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by enemoplem

to quote "something that is possible but not that probable"?

is that your own opinion or what?

why not just say ..yeh its possible and leave it at that rather than adding but not probable...?

it IS possible yes...and 50/50 probability...the op is right that generally smaller comets precede a larger one, so in all probability there theres a 50/50 chance that something bigger could be heading the suns way....

although it would need to be several hundred km long to make any sort of dent or to see anything from earth

but it is possible

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
reply to post by enemoplem

it IS possible yes...and 50/50 probability...the op is right that generally smaller comets precede a larger one, so in all probability there theres a 50/50 chance that something bigger could be heading the suns way....

Ahh. Thanks. I did not know that a larger one is usually preceded by a bunch of little ones. That's why I come here...learn something new everyday.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Even if there were 100 ice comets, or one that is a larger size behind them, I have a hard time imagining it would disrupt the sun in any way that would effect Earth. To put this in perspective, take a basketball and put a string of pearls around it. )The Earth would equal the size of just one pearl). Now imagine throwing a pearl-sized ice pellet into a basketball-sized ball of super-hot, gaseous fire. So, even if a comet the size of earth hit the sun, it would most likely just vaporize instantly and that would be that.

Astronomers get excited and use terms like "unprecedented" because it is something exciting to observe.

We may really only have something to worry about when the sun kicks up it's solar maximum in 2012-2013.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
the comet shower of some 25 independent 10 meter comets in that short period of days

just might indicate that 'they' once composed a pretty large singular comet that broke up
much as the Shoemaker Levy comet did.

lets see 25 ea. 10 meter chunks =
if we put 25 marbels in a sock, that would be a lethal weapon, now imagine a 35 meter
ball of rock strewn ice traveling som 20,000kph...that would be a big event...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Almost like the Sun is getting an acupuncture treatment. One little prick in just the right spot...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ice comets. sill harping on about the ice comets. get a life.

peace

daz

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by daz__

Geeze, I found the info here interesting and worth keeping an eye on. Your comment was a buzz kill. The OP was just bringing something of interest to even NASA and the Observatory in Arizona, why the mean comment? Did this info actually strike a cord with you and cause some deep repressed fear to rise?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I think what the OP has failed to realise is the shear size of the sun , so if something is going to cause problems it is going to have to be pretty bloody big and I think something of that magnitude would have been spotted by now .

Threads like these do no good at all . Just my opinion

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
So this is what we have become, a people of 'so what?'s. Nothing fascinates or amazes us anymore. There is nothing to marvel at. Everything is boxed in by labels, beliefs, opinions and limitations and exists as intellectual concepts in the mind. Nothing is appreciated, and it's true value unseen.

"But 25 comets in just ten days, that's unprecedented," says Battams.

But who cares right?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I'm not sure as to how a comet storm would predict anything except a bunch of melted comets? Very flawed logic IMHO.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Here's something that may be related:

Comet Elenin is coming!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by PuterMan

Comet Elenin is coming!

Source: SOTT
www.sott.net...

It is called Elenin since it was discovered by Leonid Elenin. I expect the internet to soon be ringing with rumors and news bytes about this comet. For now, there isn't much to say so I'm sharing what I've received in private from an astronomer at a big observatory that shall remain anonymous for the moment. He says:

1. It is too early to accurately predict the future path - it's orbital parameters haven't been revised.

2. Among the observable hyperbolic and parabolic comets (those that come from the Oort cloud) this one has the smallest perihelion distance and the smallest inclination to the ecliptic plane.

3. Comet Elenin's orbit may be unstable as it may encounter some dark bodies, for example, in the asteroid belt or even some Taurid objects. What would happen in those cases is a matter of luck.

4. This comet may carry a significant amount of material with it and if it follows the currently projected orbit, the Earth may very well pass through this material.

5. If Elenin is anything like what Victor Clube or James McCanney describes, we might be in for some surprises - good or bad, who knows?

When this was first discovered in December last year it was calculated that it would pass 8.8 Au (8.8 times the distance of the Sun form us) away. Now today the orbital calculation is down to 0.24 Au with a minimum as low as 0.15. This is being re-calculated all the time and could get even closer but it depends what it encounters in the Oort belt.

The Moon is 0.00256 Au form us to give you a comparison.

You should be aware the this comet could bring debris with it and we will pass through the debris trail – if it exists – around the 6th November 2011. Could this new long period comet (?) be the origin of the stories of Nibiru?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0275420efcc6.gif[/atsimg]

You can look at all the technical details here: Jet Propulsion Labs small-body database browser. This also has the _javascript animation from which that image was taken.

It is definitely something to be watching out for and I shall try and keep this thread updated with information as the closest approach draws nearer.

edit on 17/1/2011 by PuterMan because: Could not make the link work

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by totalmetal

I'm not sure as to how a comet storm would predict anything except a bunch of melted comets? Very flawed logic IMHO.

See Puterman's post above from the related thread...
edit on 1/17/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: credit

top topics

join