It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do members not give their location?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

From N'Awlins and proud of it!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Oh I don't know - I use to live in Margaritaville! Paradise! That would be Key West, Florida!

I am beginning to think I should be more paranoid, at my age nothing to fear but fear itself.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by kinglizard

Oh I don't know - I use to live in Margaritaville! Paradise! That would be Key West, Florida!

I am beginning to think I should be more paranoid, at my age nothing to fear but fear itself.

At my age I have new concerns and fears.. Like that these dumb pierced up emo kids will be your nurse in the nursing home. It was the first thing I thought of when a friend of my daughters.. a boy.. asked if he could use my hair straightener..

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Exactly..

Cosmic...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I used to put my location, but I ended up moving around so much that it became moot to keep changing it all the time. If anyone asks me, I normally will give out where I live, like Currently it's in Northern Connecticut, a very happy refugee from Westchester County NY....

BUt that's my reason, lotsa moving, got kinda sick of updating it.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I'll say this once, and only here. I'm an American, obviously, and a former Marine. However, where I currently live is not in the U.S. due to my post military occupation. I am still tied to the military, so I'm a little leery of placing a target on my location. I know for a fact that everything I view, type, read, and send off is monitored. I neither want to get into hot water for engaging in things that could get me in trouble with those that monitor all internet activity here (and they do), nor do I want some crazy from ATS figuring out who I am and knocking on my door one day with "hey, was just in the neighborhood and thought I'd stop by...." When you're in a foreign country, there are fewer places to hide and blend in.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings

People who can't even post their nation, are lame. Mine is TEXAS.

IMO They want to attack without saying where they're from.
edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: grammar & spelling please

edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

or other reasons

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gseven

I'll say this once, and only here. I'm an American, obviously, and a former Marine. However, where I currently live is not in the U.S. due to my post military occupation. I am still tied to the military, so I'm a little leery of placing a target on my location. I know for a fact that everything I view, type, read, and send off is monitored. I neither want to get into hot water for engaging in things that could get me in trouble with those that monitor all internet activity here (and they do), nor do I want some crazy from ATS figuring out who I am and knocking on my door one day with "hey, was just in the neighborhood and thought I'd stop by...." When you're in a foreign country, there are fewer places to hide and blend in.

Absolutely understand.. we live it.
RIght now I am too old and grumpy to care I guess. I figure 20 yrs with the DoD.. if they dont know us by now it isnt for lack of digging and monitoring.
The husband never gets on these places for that exact reason. Hell, he was "spoken to" about posting an opinion on a story in our local paper from work. Recently he got a whole list of sites that we could not visit.. didnt mention ATS of course.. at work or from home and we were forbidden to view wiki documents anywhere. Even if copy and pasted.
Ive complied.... I like the husband being employed. Most of the sites were certain news places.. including drudge. Some folks here have NO idea really.. Im not even mil and I have been "spoken to" over these years concerning background BS due to different clearances and jobs he has had. I think they try to get a bead on who you are.. if your wacko or not. Looks like I passed the govts wacko test.. and Im not sure if thats a good thing! We've had to explain everything we did in Iran umpteen times and that was back during the old Shah's reign! LOL! Paranoid? Bah.. I eat paranoia for breakfast.

Ive had several screen names on ATS. this is my most recent.. moving around a lot puts a damper in things especially when you move overseas or go over on a temp basis. It gets too tedious to keep redoing things. Especially when youre half senile and forget the passwords and change IPs constantly where you have no access to your previous email for a damned password reminder!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'll be honest - I don't list my location out of paranoia. I don't want people from where I live to recognize me on here.. however likely that is. On my facebook profile, recently I posted something about the bird and fish deaths, and in a reply one of my friends posted a link to a thread on this site that I had posted in. If he read through that whole thread, he would have read posts that I made. I just would rather not have people do that and put it together that this is me... so I think it's more likely than it seems. I want as much anonymity as I am allowed. I personally think people who post their picture as their avatar along with listing their location are pretty brave.

But where it's relevant, like in a recent thread about the weather, for example, I've posted where I am, a few times..

On a side, somewhat unrelated note, I have noticed that ads that track your location always get my location wrong. I don't live in Terrace, although I see ads that say "Meet singles in Terrace" (for example) or another location that I don't even know where it is... My city is big enough that there is almost definitely singles on those sites that have listed their location as my city, so why doesn't it use my city? Like it's misinterpreting my location.. it's weird.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Like other's have mentioned, I thought the gubbment might git me!

When I first signed up I was hiding behind supposed anonymity, but then realized if "they" really wanna know, "they" will.
Additionally, I am so happy to live in Oregon that I wanted to include it in my profile.
I have also thought about members profiling age and gender because for better or worse, it kind of shapes my dialogue with an individual. I actually once flirted with Romantic Rebel only to find out it was a he!
That'll learn me!

But, I also appreciate ATS not becoming like FB with so much personal expression, so I'm happy either way.

Peace, and go Ducks, Quack!!
spec
edit on 16-1-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

I definitely understand your concerns. Take good care!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I havent done very well to Avoid TPTB then, Seeing as i use my actual name as my profile name and that ive given them my approx location

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

lmao - my next thread - why not say if you are male or female? Use to live on the Oregon Coast, I'm jealous - what a beautiful place!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Listed the region of world am in.. As still wander around the region at times.. Exact location well thats bit of a grey area .. In the border region am in it depends who you ask .. The local villagers live as they always have with little to no outside interference not got the modern conveniences but its peaceful and the countryside is beautiful..

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
I have also thought about members profiling age and gender because for better or worse, it kind of shapes my dialogue with an individual. I actually once flirted with Romantic Rebel only to find out it was a he!

spec
edit on 16-1-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

HAHAHAH!!!! Now THAT was funny!! I really respect a person who can laugh at themselves!

Thats why I never chose an avatar or name that reflects Im female. Its funny.
Like I said, its funny wearing a mans shoes sometimes. Seriously though, Youre not the only one.. it shapes EVERYONES dialog with another.ANyone says that it doesnt is fibbing or in denial. We can all curb our preconceived ideas and recognize them.. and should practice identifying it and doing it constantly. Age and sex.. even race. Location even colors the conversation.. if someone has some silly idea about the state or region or country in which the person has listed. I thought we were all somehow above it here and could have a conversation without prejudices interfering.... but nope. Its human nature. Welcome fellow human.. youre in good company.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

That's a great point. I hadn't really thought about it until you brought it up. I do respond to posts differently if I know the sex of the person I'm posting to. If it's female, I tend to be more polite (just the way I was brought up), same if I know the person is a senior citizen.

Who'd a thought such a simple question would get this much response, and be so interesting in the process. Nice post OP.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
A/ most likely because they don't want to bother...they realize the whole western culture has been homogenized

B/another reason for omiting location, is a lap-top is portable and not hardwaired to a place

C/ or perhaps they are not proud of their Blue State residency, & it may reflect on their character/intellect/leanings

me, i'm unabashed with the Waccamaw River location, it starts in Whiteville NC, and empties into the Waccamaw Neck in the Georgetown SC, vicinity
I once had a notion of applying for the position of the River Keeper for the Waccamaw,
but they wanted a fundraiser rather than a Keeper as far as I understand it...
(political posturing et al)

therefore my visions of an 'treetop adventure' for the birdwatchers & outdoor enthusiasts, among the tall Cyprus trees in the swamps and the live oaks draped in Spanish Moss...died in the bud.
see this similar layout/venture: www.treetopadventures.ca...
edit on 16-1-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by StlSteve

That's a great point. I hadn't really thought about it until you brought it up. I do respond to posts differently if I know the sex of the person I'm posting to. If it's female, I tend to be more polite (just the way I was brought up), same if I know the person is a senior citizen.

Who'd a thought such a simple question would get this much response, and be so interesting in the process. Nice post OP.

Hey to be honest, it was through experiencing it on a board where I was one of many mods that I saw it. Us mods "dressed up" for halloween to mess with the regs. It really turned out to be an eye opener in human nature/behavior in the end!
One of the admins is something like 60 and male..rotten old crotchety outspoken old guy.. he started the whole fiasco with signing up as "boobiesgalore" with a sexy avatar... then we all followed suit wearing "costumes" and talking to people we'd known for a LONG time in particular. We also had some folks really PO'd at us when we outted ourselves something like a week later. It was too funny to stop right away!
I got spotted pretty quickly in the first day because I have a habit of ....

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Ditto! I've been given briefs and lists of sites that are forbidden, and also a very blunt layout of consequences if I do. I enjoy an income as well. Personally, I'm either smack in the middle on most issues, or slightly to the right, which is usually pro-military. I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere, but I doubt I'm much of a threat....they're probably laughing at all my comments over coffee in some building down the road, I'm sure!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

LOL, I love it (sorry), too funny.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join