It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do members not give their location?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am not talking about street address or even town. The reason I ask - because I go to a new thread or an interesting posts where someone is talking about something happening where they live but they give no indication of country, state or region. If you would just put country on your avi it would help. Am I missing the reason why people don't say where they are?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Anonymity on a "Conspiracy" site.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

My location is listed

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

People who can't even post their nation, are lame. Mine is TEXAS.

IMO They want to attack without saying where they're from.
edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: grammar & spelling please

edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
paranoia that someone is tracking them,I usually give a location down to about 150,000 sq kilometers,Which really gives me a large choice of town names,

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings

IMO They want to atack without saying where they're from.
edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: grammar, please
You live in the nation of TEXAS huh? Go figure.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

That has to be the best answer yet IMO.

People who live in glass houses just love throwing stones.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Manchester , UK

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by havenvideo

edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: grammar, please

'least I've been to Texas. It's pretty damn nice there.

... never been to Location, Location though

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
On some threads I do agree as if a thread is relevent to my region or country, I am interested in knowing the location of a poster as this does has an impact on how I judge what a poster is posting.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I didnt know if I should laugh or cry when someone thought my location : Land Of Lincoln.. was not in the united states.

Illinois is the land of Lincoln for the record. I live in Belleville Illinois.. the real conspiracy is HOW I got here to this state and town.

The people who would be stalking the paranoids dont need them to list their state or town, the stalkers already know where they live, their address, their phone number, credit card purchases, where they buy their underwear ( boxer, brief, or commando) and what size they wear. You know, kinda like the omniscient Google

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I tend to agree with the OP. It also helps when there is breaking news about a location - nice to have 'first-hand' comments. I didn't at first because I was just lazy. Went back later and added it.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Some interesting comments! Continue

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

Since you live in "location location" (probably not USA) you must not be aware that TEXAS is the only state that was once a sovereign NATION. And has reserved the right to become so again.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As far as putting my location on my profile: because it is irrelevant to most of the discussions in which i post; however, in certain discussion, i will post in which state i live. For example, the "Weirdness in Dixie" thread i did post my location, because it WAS relevant to the discussion.

Pretty kitty, btw.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
TPTB are not the only ones to fear knocking on your door if you list your location, all sites like this attract a certain number of crazy or unstable people, with inflammatory views, do you really want to list your location for someone to track you down because they hate what you said or have an unhealthy obsession with you? The less information you give online the harder it is for someone to find you. Government officials can eventually find anyone if they want, it's the quiet guy next door, crazy axe killer type that you should be worried about!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
MIne's listed too.

Actually...too many stalkers and busybodies and haters out there to take chances...it may be delusional to hope that no one can find you these days (what with photos containing the GPS coordinates to your location and $1.99 buying them your mother's maiden name) but I try to be very careful anywhere online anyway. Usually if it's a location-specific thing I'm talking about I'll make a mistake not thinking and say my closest nearby big city. State, the way you have it is fine too, I suppose.

It used to be a lot more secretive in the early days online but people are really out there now on things liked Linkedin and FaceBook and other sites so they're becoming desensitized to the risks. The first time I saw my kiddo's FB profile I freaked. Someone could have found our house practically via his high school and his phone number. I still believe caution and privacy is better.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

That has to be the best answer yet IMO.

People who live in glass houses just love throwing stones.

Maybe in some cases. For most people that is probably so not it. Best answer? Hardly.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

reply to post by havenvideo

Since you live in "location location" (probably not USA) you must not be aware that TEXAS is the only state that was once a sovereign NATION. And has reserved the right to become so again.

Oh shut up.. youre not allowed to speak to others about anything other than revisionist history. Get with the new program! There was no nation of Texas.. there certainly wasnt a republiuc called the US... The constitutionis an outdated historical document that has no bearing on modern society. Now, drink your Kool aid and watch MTV silly man.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
We choose our user name, our avatar, and our signature. By contrast, our physical location is a limit on our freedom to define our online persona. This could be one reason people leave it unlisted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join