It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trees dying off

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
First the animals, and now it seems to be time for the trees. Should we start another list just for veggies?

Italian source :
www.corriere.it...

Italian to English translation (Google).
Outbreak threat oak forests GB
January 16, 2011 18:11 FOREIGN

(ANSA) - LONDON - A deadly virus that has killed millions of oaks in California now threatens the British forests: the Phytophora ramorum, the infection that left the United States, Britain also attacked trees and other species already 'destroyed about 3,000 hectares of larch trees in Wales, Devon, Somerset and Northern Ireland. The Observer reported today. The new variety 'never appeared in Britain before being identified in imported shrubs in a nursery in Sussex.

I can't find another link to confirm it. Maybe someone can help.
edit on 16-1-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
If the trees are dying then clear cutting the forests should stop immediately (it should have stopped a long time ago). Another link on this would be good if you can find one.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ozone is killing the trees. Ground level ozone is Poison to plant life. Ground level ozone is killing the biosphere
witsendnj.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Well, it seems that this had been happening for a while already. I hope someone in GB can get more info.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Another thread about this was already posted a week or so ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by green-tree
Ozone is killing the trees. Ground level ozone is Poison to plant life. Ground level ozone is killing the biosphere
witsendnj.blogspot.com...

There is a virus : Phytophora ramorum.

Surely ozone level contributes to make it worse too, but the killer has a name already.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lebowski achiever
reply to post by Trueman

Another thread about this was already posted a week or so ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks brother, I guess the thread will be closed soon by mods but at least we had time to confirm it.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

O3 makes plants more vulnerable to all sorts of diseases. Reducing O3 is likely the best thing we can do for the planets ecosystems.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I seem to recall reading a month or two ago somewhere the idea that we are in the midst of an extinction event re plants, that they're all going to be replaced by grasses or such.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
where i live it's been happening for a while. oak wilt has taken over our old oak trees. it's very sad.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by enemoplem
where i live it's been happening for a while. oak wilt has taken over our old oak trees. it's very sad.

You should grab the camera or phone, make a short video and share it with us.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
We have been told to report any sickness in trees. We already have Horse Chestnut Canker.

Article link Chestnuts

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

Thanks for the info. This is when we need all those scientifics around the wolrd to fix the problem, but they are probably too busy creating new weapons.

God knows how much I love trees, I'm so sad for this that I wish a debunker could tell me we are wrong.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

S&F for topic matter alone. I'm not convinced of the cause but I can tell you that my trees are definitely dying off. I have 10 acres with over 400 live oaks as well as a few other varieties of trees. This year, at least 8 of my black jack oak trees have died and I am at a loss as to why. I've lived here for twenty years and they've always thrived, but not this year. The trees that died are at least 40 to 50 yrs. old and there's just no reason for them up and die like that.

As Lewis Black would put it; "Something is askew."

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
reply to post by Trueman

S&F for topic matter alone. I'm not convinced of the cause but I can tell you that my trees are definitely dying off. I have 10 acres with over 400 live oaks as well as a few other varieties of trees. This year, at least 8 of my black jack oak trees have died and I am at a loss as to why. I've lived here for twenty years and they've always thrived, but not this year. The trees that died are at least 40 to 50 yrs. old and there's just no reason for them up and die like that.

As Lewis Black would put it; "Something is askew."

Looks like we might need to say goodbye to an old friend, The Oak.

The Oak: a Symbol of Strength
The oak tree is a large tree and has symbolized strength for many countries which have adopted it as their national tree; these countries include England, France, Germany, Poland and the United States. Species of the oak are also the state trees of Georgia and New Jersey.

The oak tree's strength has made it tolerant to many threats such as drought and disease. It has also been used extensively for its timber and has been used in the construction of ancient ships and furniture for British palaces and political chambers; it is said that the legendary King Arthur's Round Table was made from oak.

The Oak: An Ancient Tree of History
Oak trees dominated the English landscape of many kings and queens, such as King Henry V111 (1491 – 1547); many oak forests were probably witness to royal events, secret liaisons, plots and intrigue. It is also believed that the mythical Robin Hood arranged many meetings beneath the oak trees of Sherwood Forest.

The Oak: a Symbol of Religion and Witchcraft
The Oak tree was also a 'sacred' tree of the Celts. The size of the oak tree makes the oak an easy target for lightening strikes; this led to the belief, by ancient people of Europe and Asia, that the oak was indeed a channel between the sky gods and human beings. The oak tree has been used in many Druid religious practices. Druids attach much significance to the symbolism of the oak; the tree is grown in 'sacred' groves and burned in ceremonies.

The Oak Tree Today
There are said to be many ancient oaks still standing in Europe today. The exact dating of these ancient trees is hotly disputed and it can only be estimated as to the accuracy of the age of many ancient oaks. However, it can not be denied that a number of ancient oak trees have probably witnessed many changes and historical events of Europe throughout the centuries.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Here are a few articles i found. Looks like it has been around since 2009 and was first noticed in Hampshire.

Sudden Oak Death - phytophthora ramorum - was discovered in a small number of rhododendren bushes in the tall trees trail in Brockenhurst.

Links below

BBC

FORESTRY COMMISSION

DAILY TELEGRAPH

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but here's another link that includes videos as well as links to other stories:

CLICK HERE

Also if anyone is interested, I have a PLAGUE WATCH thread that is updated daily.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
here in Sydney, Australia my local harbour foreshore has been battling a variant of this called Phytopthora cinnamomi...
It affects a particular species of gum and they look like spectral ghosts, all dead and dying - which of course then causes erosion...
jeez!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron
Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but here's another link that includes videos as well as links to other stories:

CLICK HERE

Also if anyone is interested, I have a PLAGUE WATCH thread that is updated daily.

Good work Regina, thanks for all the efford. I already F&S your thread.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join