It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific findings indicate past and current prominent world figures are genetically damaged.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
A report released on January 15, 2011 by the American Chemical Society states that substances in cigarette smoke cause DNA damage to the smoker within minutes. If this is accurate, we can conclude that President Barack Obama, House Speaker John Boehner, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Thomas Alva Edison, Robert Oppenheimer, Sigmund Freud, Bill Clinton, Franklin D. Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy and George Orwell along with countless others are and were genetically damaged.

The report: “A stark warning:” Smoking causes genetic damage within minutes after inhaling

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Gosh, Im tired of hearing about sensationalist articles about smoking, expecially this particular one. Everyone knows smoking is bad for you. Yawn.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Considering they say second hand smoke is also damaging, and the chemicals left behind on clothing, drapery, etc, is considered third hand smoke, I would say we are all very damaged.

If everyone has been genetically damaged for decades now, I wonder how that damage affects our offspring?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well if it happens with the first inhale then I guess it's too late to quit for that reason. Every single person has come into contact with it at one point in their lives so I guess we are all screwed. There are alot of poisonous chemicals affecting us; Gases, pollution from factories and cars, smoke from fires, volcanic ash etc. Unfortuantely there is nothing we can do

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You know.... we do have sections of our dna which repairs damaged dna.....

Pretty sure this is misinformation.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
You know.... we do have sections of our dna which repairs damaged dna.....

Pretty sure this is misinformation.

Please elaborate if you have this information. "Pretty sure" does not make it into scientific reports. Scientific reports in the United States for instance are used as evidence to strip citizens of their freedoms as well as to impose taxes. And so from your knowledge of DNA, how fast are the repairs completed? Are the repairs able to keep up with someone that is continually smoking?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730
Well if it happens with the first inhale then I guess it's too late to quit for that reason. Every single person has come into contact with it at one point in their lives so I guess we are all screwed. There are alot of poisonous chemicals affecting us; Gases, pollution from factories and cars, smoke from fires, volcanic ash etc. Unfortuantely there is nothing we can do

Thank you for commenting. You bring to the table many sources of chemicals that I have to think people are not ingesting by choice. Now that this report is out and we can expect that it will carried onward through the various media, anyone continuing to smoke having this knowledge can be concluded to be willfully causing damage to their own DNA. This is a personal choice that is impossible to justify while say for example pressuring others to accept and fund universal health care or while taxing soft drinks. Just two of many examples of hypocrisy tied to such a risky personal choice.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

I would guess it depends on many factors, such as one's particular genome, and the amount of carcinogens inhaled per given period of time, for starters. I have no clue, but common sense tells me that some people have irreparable damage, such as cancers which develop from smoking. Other people seem to be fine and dandy smoking well into old age.

A flip side to this is that dna "damage" or more accurately mutations, are what leads to species evolution. So, even though the majority may get ill from smoking too much, too long, it could actually help to evolve our species more quickly!!

edit on 16-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

A flip side to this is that dna "damage" or more accurately mutations, are what leads to species evolution. So, even though the majority may get ill from smoking too much, too long, it could actually help to evolve our species more quickly!!

I think that advantageous mutations and dna "damage" are not one in the same. I think that dna "damage" if anything could cause the offspring of smokers to devolve and perhaps develop handicaps or genetic diseases. A number of things can cause genetic damage and I have never heard that described as helpful to the individual or our species.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere
I think that advantageous mutations and dna "damage" are not one in the same. I think that dna "damage" if anything could cause the offspring of smokers to devolve and perhaps develop handicaps or genetic diseases.

Agreed, and that's why I have such an issue with this article. How do they know that all these mutations are causing damage? They don't!

Originally posted by Hemisphere
A number of things can cause genetic damage and I have never heard that described as helpful to the individual or our species.

Well, it seems that's because most people have rather simplistic intellectual functions, imo. The key thing to remember is that this "damage" is a mutation, and not all mutations are harmful, just the vast majority. If species were not helped by genetic mutations sometimes, then evolution is false. It's truly as easy as that.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
double post!!!

apologies.

edit on 16-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Fulltext link below.

Introduction, 2nd paragraph - gives 2 mechanisms of action. Covalent bonding to DNA and mutation in p53 tumour suppressor gene.

Funding Statement
This study was supported by Grant CA-92025 from the National Cancer Institute. Gas chromatography−mass spectrometry was carried out in core facilities of the Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota, supported in part by National Cancer Institute Grant CA-77598.

Immediate Consequences of Cigarette Smoking: Rapid Formation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Diol Epoxides

Yan Zhong, Steven G. Carmella, Pramod Upadhyaya, J. Bradley Hochalter, Diane Rauch, Andrew Oliver, Joni Jensen, Dorothy Hatsukami, Jing Wang, Cheryl Zimmerman, and Stephen S. Hecht*
Masonic Cancer Center and Department of Pharmacology, University of Minnesota, MMC 806, 420 Delaware Street S.E., Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, United States

Chem. Res. Toxicol., Article ASAP
DOI: 10.1021/tx100345x
Publication Date (Web): December 27, 2010

pubs.acs.org/stoken/presspac/presspac/full/10.1021/tx100345x

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Just be sure to drink a lot of green tea if you're a smoker.

p53 protection via green tea

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
please ignore - double post
edit on 16-1-2011 by pilot70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
According to those "scientists" I guess I'm dead or mutated like the frankenstein monster

Who funded that "research" ? somebody selling nicotine products ?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I'm going to side with innervision0730, we inhale all kinds of harmful things daily... I just ate some febreeze earlier by accident, I bet that does all kinds of wonderful things inside of me.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

reply to post by jjjtir

Just be sure to drink a lot of green tea if you're a smoker.

p53 protection via green tea

Building on your earlier points, why would anyone want to prevent or reverse the damage and stop the possible mutations? Why not work toward increasing the dna damage?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

old news, you can google scholar smoking damage to dna and find a bunch of articles dated back almost 2 decades ago and in this current article that's been gaining popularity on the internet lately doesnt specify what kind of damage or anything of factual scientific information.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by moarboar8907

old news, you can google scholar smoking damage to dna and find a bunch of articles dated back almost 2 decades ago and in this current article that's been gaining popularity on the internet lately doesnt specify what kind of damage or anything of factual scientific information.

No kidding. This is exactly the type of report that is used to promote taking away civil rights in the United States. If the current POTUS was not a chain smoker this would be politicized up the wazoo. For instance the current POTUS could be accused of child abuse based on such a report. Certainly, he goes outside to smoke and so the second-hand smoke charge could be said to be a moot point. But... causing genetic damage to his unborn children could be wrangled from such sketchy data. As I said, he's a smoker and so no Michele Obama anti-smoking tours.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Folks, there is no conspiracy in the report. The conspiracy lies in how similar reports are used to eliminate civil rights and inflict taxation. Some need to be hand-fed. Enjoy your slumbers.

top topics

join